Sandy Creek Campin

Sandy Creek Campin

Postby DamoS » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:16 pm

Just spent a weekend up at Sandy Creek near Kilcoy. A bit wet!!!! :***

Great spot to sit back and relax or go for a drive around the park or if it's raining duck down to the wineries in the local area. just about 10 min drive away.

Has been there for a few years and has great amenities block flushing loos and hot showers.
Has 3 main camping areas, one up at the amenities, one lower down on the creek bank and one under the big fig tree down a litte further but it's a hike to the loo.

Go here for more details http://www.sandycreekcampin.com.au

Some might find it expensive but you can stay Friday to Sunday for $55 and Brian will deliver you the Sunday paper FREE

Road in is suitable for 2wd drives and larger caravan's the creek crossing can go over in heavy rain (like it did on Sunday and we had to stay another night)
DamoS
Boy Scout

Re: Sandy Creek Campin

Postby AussieSunset » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:47 pm

Looks like a nice spot close to Brissy and pet friendly too which is a bonus.
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:40 pm

I have friends who were also up there last weekend and had to wait for the water to go down across the causeway to get out this morning......or at least that was their story.

I have only ever heard good reports about the place and yes the fee is a bit steep but it is not like you have to go there every camp. Make it a special treat occasionally.

Brian is definitely one of the good guys.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mickange » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:50 pm

We're hoping to get up there early next month. Went there in May last year and it was fantastic!

It was actually for sale when we were there last but luckily the owners changed their minds and decided to stay (I think their children moved closer to be more involved). Lucky for us!!
mickange
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Yeah it has been a bit of a long haul for Brian...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mojon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Well based on the reviews on this site and a few others, we went to Sandy Creek Campin last weekend.

It really is a nice spot, certainly up there with the better ones we've been to. Well maintained grassy campgrounds, clean amenities block, firepits (at each campsite I think), a beautifull little running creek that flows into the Swimmenole, and a few 4WD tracks for the boys to play with their toys!

Plenty of birdlife around - someone (mayby Brian, the owner) scattered bird seed along the main track into the camp, attracting the parrots and lorikeets. The creek looks very healthy, with lots of tadpoles, frogs and little yabbies. Unfortunately there's plenty of toads around too.

I nearly stood on a 3 meter carpet snake when I was taking a leak behind a tree the first night we were there, scared the crap out of me for a second! He didn't seem too upset by me though, and took his time to slide off into the bushes. Then he came back for another visit the next night!

It was our 2 year old daughters first camping trip, and she had a ball. Loved playing in the creek, which was nice and shallow for her.

All in all we had a great time - it was our first camp for nearly 3 years, well and truly overdue! We have plenty of other places we want to check out, but I'm sure at some point we'll be back to Sandy Creek. I have some pics, but haven't loaded them to the puter yet - I'll post some when I do.
Cheers,
Sean

(Login was mojo, but with the new website I somehow ended up as mojon ...)
mojon

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 pm

Thanks for that report Sean.....The read was going great....till you used that ''Snake'' word...lol

:beer :beer
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:04 pm

Rosco1 wrote:Thanks for that report Sean.....The read was going great....till you used that ''Snake'' word...lol

:beer :beer

Sooky Rosco again. Yes I agree, great report Sean.....looking forward to the pics too.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mojon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:39 pm

Finally got around to posting these pics, sorry I didn't get too many ...

Here's some shots of the camp grounds, nice and grassy:

And a shot of the creek:

Cheers
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

(Login was mojo, but with the new website I somehow ended up as mojon ...)
mojon

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Thanks Sean...great pics.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:54 am

Looks like a fantastic place Sean. Very green with lots of trees too.

Thanks again. :cheers
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby dicko77 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:46 pm

Might have to check this one out as well looks good. We are just having a hotwater system and out side shower fitted to my van now so i will be able to camp just about anywhere with no need to worry about anything. Alot of these spots are looking very good to me now. :beer
dicko77
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:39 pm

dicko77 wrote: We are just having a hotwater system and out side shower fitted to my van now so i will be able to camp just about anywhere with no need to worry about anything.

Except....keeping the water supply up for the shower, sink etc now that you have hot water 'on tap'. LOL
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby dicko77 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Three water tanks under the floor. 220L of water plus another 180L that goes in the back of the ute. I think this should keep us going for a bit. :?#
dicko77
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:14 pm

dicko77 wrote:Three water tanks under the floor. 220L of water plus another 180L that goes in the back of the ute. I think this should keep us going for a bit. :?#

I can promise it will be gone before you know it unless you keep an eye on it. Especially if you have a standard turn on type tap.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Queensland