Where do you face your tent?

OK so this is your home away from home right. So lets share a few of these tips and (secrets) of a great camping site.

Where do you face your tent?

Postby Lin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:04 am

I find it strange when I walk across a camping ground that so many people face the front of their tent towards whatever open space there is, which is usually facing the road/track and/or other campsites.

I always face my annex towards the bush. Or the river if I'm lucky enough to camp riverside.

I also rarely close my tent door. At night I'll close the flyscreen, but I open it as soon as I wake up so I can look out at the view while I drink my coffee.

I usually take a pic of the view from my tent too.The first pic is from our Xmas trip.
MysteryDec2011.jpg

The second was the Australia Day trip. Not really taken from our tent, but our tent was just a bit to the side of that, facing that lush patch of greenery.
MysteryJan2012.jpg

Though my absolute fav is from Wee Jasper. (Sorry am at work and cannot easily resize images!)
WeeJasper.jpg

I just don't get why on earth so many people prefer to face a road and other people to those kind of views?!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Where do you face your tent?

Postby John G » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:54 pm

As I camp with my kids, and often friends, we tend to face our tents in to the centre of our site. That being said.. I also will tend to aim our tent at the view, and make the rest point towards us, therefore making the circle.
Wind/rain changes that to the current/forecast direction, of course!
John G
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:50 am

John G wrote:As I camp with my kids, and often friends, we tend to face our tents in to the centre of our site. That being said.. I also will tend to aim our tent at the view, and make the rest point towards us, therefore making the circle.
Wind/rain changes that to the current/forecast direction, of course!

I agree with John G...with friends into the centre....without towards the view whatever that may be. CPs are of course a totally different ball park.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:29 pm

Even when camping with friends, I face my tent door towards the view and away from other tents. I don't see why they would want to look inside my 'bedroom' and no one else comes into my tent either. So I don't see the point in all facing towards eachother and towards the communal area.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby James C » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Depends on the conditions for me.
If it's REALLY windy I'll face the back of the tent towards the wind.
If it's not windy I'll face the tent so when I'm sleeping my feet are below my head level.
If the ground is level I'll face the door towards the view.
James C

Postby John G » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:25 am

also depends on your tent.. mine has 3 doors which any can be used as the main door. usually the front though as its a t door and not a d.. cause kids ALWAYS trip over d doors...
John G
Camping King

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:34 am

I`m with you Lin although camping i still like a bit of privacy,always face my door away from full view of others, a couple of places i go I know the weather always comes in from a certain way so I usually face away from it .
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Com'n Poodle...You told me that you point it towards the hotel....so you can see what time the bar opens...lol

We try and point away from our neighbours door... unfortunately with camp sites being the size that they are in camping grounds...you often don't have much choice :beer
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Komodo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:15 pm

so the front door is at the lower point where possible.
Often in bush camps I put the tent where it'll fit and work the bedding from there.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Show Us Your Campsite