Electric Brakes

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Electric Brakes

Postby Wrecksie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:22 pm

G'day
been a long time since I posted anything and it seems a bit quiet so here's a question for you.

We're considering upgrading from our old faithful tent to a small Camper van like a Jayco Dove or similar and from what I understand we will need to have electric brakes fitted if its over 750kg.

From the little bit of research I have done there seems to be a few different brands available with Tekonsha being mentioned a fair bit. They seem to have quite a few different models so does anyone have any thoughts on brand and models. Plus what sort of cost would I be up for fitted?

We've got a 2009 Captiva CX.

also if anyone can recommend anyone in the Brisbane bayside area (we're at Manly West) please let me know.

Also as we've just started looking for a cheap camper does anyone know of any other good online sites apart from Trading Post, EBay and Gumtree to look for one. We're looking at around $5k and happy for something old thats in good nick as we don't want to invest too heavily at this stage while we decide whether this is really where we want to head. The few good ones we have seen advertised have been snapped up before we can look at them unfortunately so guess its something we need to jump on pretty quick. Would be great to have this sorted out before we go camping at Easter.

anyway look forward to some help with this.

Wrecksie
Wrecksie
Captain Camping

Re: Electric Brakes

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:51 pm

It is my understanding that you do not require electric brakes, you can have hydraulic (override) brakes which of course are less expensive than the electric.

I have tekonsha prodigy and am very happy with them but my CT is also quite heavy with an ATM of 1750. I cannot recall how much they cost, sorry. Tekonsha is probably the most popular brand which is why you hear about them so much.

Here are a couple places for pre loved CTs though I do not know if they come in at the S5k mark, you'll need to look.

http://www.campertrailerads.com.au/

http://www.campertrailers.org/camper_trader.htm

Also make sure you check the tow capacity of you car before you buy a CT/van.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:01 am

Wrecksie.........If you have a ''Springers'' in your area they are very good........They quoted me parts & labour to fit at just under $500-

We have been working on updating to a caravan as we have had enough of setting up...and taking down in all this dam rain that we are having here in QLD.
UPDATE
Finally settled on a caravan today....pick it up on Tuesday....19ft pop-top with all the goodies....toilet,shower oven tv etc.......

Cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:35 pm

CONGRATULATIONS Rosco, we want to hear all about it when you do.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:53 am

False alarm there Gypsy......Did all the pics thing....asked all the questions thing.....decided on the price thing..
Drove to Gympie yesterday to pick it up...
Guess what....
Once again we have been caught out by ''lying pics....Bull ****** Sellers''......So pleased that no $$$$ had changed hands...

No worries....We did have a nice day out (stopped at the Ginger factory for our usual scone & coffee)...and the ''right'' one will come along....... :beer

Rosco
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Sorry to hear that you were given a bum steer Rosco.....and yes the right one is still out there waiting for you to find it.

Glad you enjoyed the day all the same.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:30 am

The one We should have bought....had a '''''Dish-Washer''''.......Now,,,,Thats camping.....lol :grin:
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:50 pm

Rosco1 wrote:The one We should have bought....had a '''''Dish-Washer''''.......Now,,,,Thats camping.....lol :grin:

Makes free camping a tad difficult tho.....water, water, water.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Got the Patrol in being fitted with the electric brakes and the Andersons plug today ...
Heading off down south to pick up the Caravan next Friday....
This one has....200ltr water tank gypsy.....we use less water at home here with a dish washer than if we did them by hand each time
I don't intend travelling with a full tank...but we will fill up at the last town /servo...before we reach where we intend to camp.....200ltr = 200kg of weight to lug around

Iv'e had so many pics sent and asked so many questions and had a very good camping friend from down that way look over the caravan and confirms its exactly as described....only question hes not sure about ...and I will check when I get there is about the water tanks...he reckons it has 2 x 200ltr tanks......time will tell.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:27 pm

Rosco1 wrote:he reckons it has 2 x 200ltr tanks......

That would be pretty bloody big water tanks to have on a caravan!! Hope he is not correct in what he says Rosco. Not much payload left with the potential to fill 400 litres (400kgs + the weight of the tanks) of water.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:00 pm

Correct...but...if I was going to somewhere like Inskip point...and its only a 10 min trip from the last point of filling your tanks...then....I'd fill em up...remembering that there is no water when you get there...plus...highly improbable that you would pass ''the law'' in that short distance...
Think common sense comes in here.....& besides...I don't put much likely hood of them being 2 x 200
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:25 pm

Rosco1 wrote:.highly improbable that you would pass ''the law'' in that short distance...

The 'law' as you put it Rosco would not be the issue IMO.....more likely dragging the weight and the 'what happens if' you happen to have an accident and your insurance does not pay out because you are overweight!!

Just hope they are NOT 200 litre tanks.....else you might be tempted to fill them.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:14 am

Decided Gypsy....if there are ''2''......''1'' could be for water....and the other...for ''Beer'' :+ :cheers :beer :beer
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Gear Guide