Gas Bottles and Gas Stoves Question

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Gas Bottles and Gas Stoves Question

Postby Mark B » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:12 pm

Bit of a newbie question for some of the more knowledgeable folk here.

I have both a small fitting gas bottle and a regular 9kg gas bottle. We have both a round bbq which has the smaller fittings as well as the 3 burner gas camp stove, also fitted with the small gas connection fittings.

Is there anything stopping me from just picking up an adaptor (without regulator) to connect either of these to the 9kg gas bottle? Do you need a regulator on either of them for any reason?

I asked at the local bunnings store as they sell the bottles and round 3 legged bbqs as well as the down size adapter and the sales person reckons just the down size fitting is fine, although she said it without too much conviction

I can use the smaller gas bottle, but I would rather just have one set up on each preferably.

Hoping someone can help me out with this and set me straight.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Mark B
Boy Scout

Re: Gas Bottles and Gas Stoves Question

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Not my area of expertise.....though I must say I do like the idea of the regulator from a safety point of view.

Come on all you guys who know these things.....come and help Mark solve his problem.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Mark B » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:01 pm

Thanks for the response.

I have actually done some searching on the interweb and found, from what I understand is that gas appliances that are not supplied with regs don't necessarily need them as they are small enough that they 'self regulate' the gas flow due to small holes/pipes etc, whereas your run of the mill backyard BBQ has nowhere near the narrowing of hoses and pipes and therefore has no self regulating capabilities.

Happy for someone to confirm this for me or offer a different opinion.
Mark B
Boy Scout

Postby Bradd » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:19 pm

Definitely not an expert,

Regulators for low pressure BBQs / Stoves (Typical big backyard BBQ)
No regulator for high pressure Stoves etc (Typical 2 - 3 burner camping stove)

I have 1 larger fitting bottle, but I usually use that (with down size adapter) for my gas light, I'm sure I've used it for 2 burner stove when other bottle ran out.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Mark B » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:26 pm

Bradd wrote:Definitely not an expert,

Regulators for low pressure BBQs / Stoves (Typical big backyard BBQ)
No regulator for high pressure Stoves etc (Typical 2 - 3 burner camping stove)

I have 1 larger fitting bottle, but I usually use that (with down size adapter) for my gas light, I'm sure I've used it for 2 burner stove when other bottle ran out.

Thanks, thats all I was after. Have the downsize attachment and will take both the big bottle and smaller bottle for the weekend so I can leave the gas light connected to one and use the other for cooking.

Much appreciated.
Mark B
Boy Scout

Postby Lockyer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi Mark

Sorry for a late reply and as other have said you can use an adaptor without a regulator between a 9kg bottle and a 2 burner stove, a couple camping with us this weekend just passed run both a light and a 2 burner stove from there 2nd 9kg gas bottle on there camper trailer.

Cheers
Lawrence
You don't have to live forever.....you just have to live.
Lockyer
Camping Veteran

Postby Mark B » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Lockyer wrote:Hi Mark

Sorry for a late reply and as other have said you can use an adaptor without a regulator between a 9kg bottle and a 2 burner stove, a couple camping with us this weekend just passed run both a light and a 2 burner stove from there 2nd 9kg gas bottle on there camper trailer.

Cheers

Excellent. Thanks for the response. Much appreciated
Mark B
Boy Scout

Postby Woodsy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:14 pm

The adaptor is fine, You can get either a straight connection or an 90degree connection. If the stove didnt come with a regulator i wouldnt run one on it as it actually makes the stove run worse.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:50 pm

With my small gas stove i always turn the gas bottle off not the stove first and you won`t get any flare up.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Mark B » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:57 pm

Thanks again. We have just come back from our Easter trip and the reducer worked flawlessly. Thanks to all those that took the time to respond.
Mark B
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:11 am

Mark B wrote:Thanks again. We have just come back from our Easter trip and the reducer worked flawlessly. Thanks to all those that took the time to respond.

Great to hear a success story Mark, thank you.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to General Chit-Chat