U-BUTE Twin burner butane BBQ

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: U-BUTE Twin burner butane BBQ

Postby Jo&Kev » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:25 am

We bought one as a ScoopOn and used it a couple of times on what was a fairly 'failed' camping trip over the XMas break.

They work like a treat in BBQ mode (?) and as two separate burners it works really well too. It seems to be quicker to boil the kettle on this that my old single burner stove.

The carry box is sturdy and huge. It seems to take up a lot of space in the back of the Disco - have to think of a better way of carrying it around.

Anyways if you can get your hands on one of these at a reasonable price - they will no doubt come back on ScoopOn again - worth grabbing on if possible.

Kev
Cheers
Kev

Proudly running actnswcamping.blogspot.com - a blog about camping in the ACT and NSW region.
Jo&Kev
Camping King

Postby Woodsy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:26 am

I'm still trying to understand why you couldnt use 2 stoves together with cans at opposite ends, they both use 2 cans at opposite ends, so if you run out of gas in 1 can and dont have a spare your still limited to 1 burner correct?

The only difference i see is that the burners are in the same frame?

I wouldnt use it with the can sitting under the hotplate etc as that is dangerous and i can see how a fire would start that way.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Woodsy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:35 am

Just saw gasmate also do one for $59 at the camping megastore in somersby nsw.

http://campingmegastore.com.au/bluecart/products/gasmate-2-burner-portable-butane-stove
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:02 pm

The single stoves advise that 2 stoves not be put together for safety reasons....why would you want to take the chance??

They also advise that you not use any pot/pan over 30cms for the same safety reasons.

One would think that the new double burner ones have something different about them that allows the use of one full plate.

I personally do not know myself, but I do know I would not be taking the chance when advised not to do so.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:21 am

i'll chat to the gasmate rep when they come in next
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:24 pm

I think you are quite correct here Gypsy....and it would be BAD advice to suggest anything else ...

Now Woodsy.......How about a ''Job Up-date''.......Howz it going for you ???
Bet you are selling heaps of ''wet-weather'' gear down there....

Cheers :beer
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Woodsy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:23 pm

Before work i had a look at the butane stoves, ours say not to run a pot that is 14cm or smaller and a 27cm pot or bigger and not to run them side by side with a hotplate on top, but that is pictured as if you run them facing the same way. I'm waiting for the sales rep to come in and i'll have a talk to him about it.

I wouldnt run one side by side even with the cans on the outside as the controls are on opposite sides and would make it hard to use and if you have to turn it off quickly you have to reach around. But can give those trying to save some $ a definate answer.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby kevin e » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:14 pm

GypsyLady wrote:A girlfriend of mine also just bought one direct from UBute. She'll be peeved if she finds out how much they were on CotD.

Just a reminder if you have 2 of the standard stoves it is hazardous to put them together with a BBQ plate on them.

Read your instructions and it should advise you of the potential for disaster.

Thanks GL, I was planning on doing that this W/E until i read your post! Bugger!
kevin e
Boy Scout

Postby Komodo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:34 pm

They are a pearla of a BBQ for a picnic. I always take mine for day trips. Great for a few snags or what ever. Bit low on the out put to be cooking a steak though.

As a camping stove/BBQ they are not really that great. They are too cold to really get cooking and they are expencive to run (those butane cans are $1.25 ea most places) plus being butane they are no good in high altitude or low temperature conditions.
IMO a better alternative is a cast iron griddle pan and a coleman reduced pressure LPG stove. These run on LPG from either a standard camping gas bottle ranging in size from 1.25kg - 9Kg or alternatively using the coleman 1lbs propane tanks.

$50 + P&H is about right price to pay. They were selling them for $199 at one stage - no idea how they sold any. Even today u-bute.com.au has them @ $99 which is silly money IMO

As a side note the coleman tanks can be refilled (at your own risk) using a http://maccoupler.com which makes them a handy portable alternative. You can also get adaptors to use them as a POL tank too which means they are a handy backup when the BBQ at home runs out of gas ;)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:10 am

Komodo wrote:(those butane cans are $1.25 ea most places)

Bunnings sells these canisters 4 x $4.50 or at least that is what I paid for them late last year when I stocked up on my supply.

BCF on the other hand sell the same 4 canisters for $9.95. It definitely pays to shop around for them.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to Gear Guide