Do I need to find a rock ????

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Do I need to find a rock ????

Postby Lockyer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:01 am

While away camping this past weekend, we got chatting with another camper about metal detectors and finding that there them gold...but when we heard the cost of the equipment we sort of choked on our food and made funny sounds from the seated area of our chairs..... :#

What I would like to know is using a metal detector around SE Qld worth while and is there an older model thats OK to use, what places do you go looking and or are there places that will teach how to use one, the guy was saying he know's of another traveller that just checks some beaches on a Sunday evening and picks up rings,coins etc and get enough $$$ to pay his rego on his van and 4WD

I not looking to get involve in a big way just if were camping somewhere that may be worth going for a 2 hour walk one afternoon and try my luck..

Cheers
Lawrence
You don't have to live forever.....you just have to live.
Lockyer
Camping Veteran

Re: Do I need to find a rock ????

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:02 pm

It is my understanding that there are various detectors for various applications from the casual hobbyist to the serious full time detector. Example is.....A old coins detector will not locate gold nuggets.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:38 pm

Lawrence.....I brought this subject up some time ago and never really got much interest....

I have all the gear to do a trip....just lack the knowledge of where to go ...and what to do when I got there...

If theres enough interest from any members from around the Brisbane area...I'd be quite keen to get together and perhaps try a weekend away somewhere.....

I was told that after the recent floods there have been quite a few of the old goldfields exposed.....
One in particular is Jimna.....not to far for a week-end away...

Any interest from any-one to give it a try ????????????????

Rosco
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lockyer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:42 am

Hi Rosco

Mate - myself and my neighbour are interested, the only problem is that my neighbour only gets a weekend or 2 off per month, he is a duty manger and doesn't know what days he is working until each Monday so this makes it hard to plan with him more then 2 weeks in advance.

But worst case mate I'll come along and my neighbour can catch up some other time... :grin:

Yesterday I was looking here http://www.glendoncamping.com.au/activi ... ld-panning I have camped here a few years back, the place has lots of old gold mines and a creek as well.

So let start a thread and see if anyone else wants to learn...I know I'm keen.

Cheers
Lawrence
Lockyer
Camping Veteran

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:18 pm

As long as I can get some warning myself....I'm probably worse off that your mate in that I work every weekend (security guard).....so...I just have to get a replacement for that weekend....plus....We are off up north on the 22nd for about 4 weeks.........
When I get back I will be looking for a mon...fri job.........then it will be all GO :grin: :grin: :grin:

Cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lockyer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:55 pm

A mid week trip suits me.....would have check with the neighbour tho :-bang

cheers
Lawrence
Lockyer
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:20 am

Lockyer wrote:A mid week trip suits me.....would have check with the neighbour tho :-bang

cheers

Might be able to make this into a camping.com weekend Meet.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to General Chit-Chat