Cape York

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Cape York

Postby Mandy B » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:09 am

Hi All,
We would like some information about Cape York if possible. For example good places to camp (bush camping where possible) National Parks are out because we will be travelling with our four legged baby. Also any info on any places to avoid. We will probably be up there about the end of May beginning of June. Thanks for any help.
Mandy & Wayne
Mandy B
Boy Scout

Re: Cape York

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:00 am

Cape York is still on my 'wish' list so I am unable to help with that one. I will say that when I was planning it some years ago I was given some serious advice re taking my dogs and crockadilies. I was actually advised against it.

I have no idea if all the crocodile areas are marked; it is my understanding they are not. So my advice to you is to be very VIGILANT anywhere on the Cape where your Heidi is concerned....keep her very close to you at all times and best not to take her near the water as she will be a prime target.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Mandy B » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:27 pm

Yes GL I will be keeping a really good eye on Heidi. She hates water in any form so no worries about her going in the wet stuff. She always stays close to me or in her bed when we are camping. I am starting to get really excited about our trip ( only 6 days to go). Trying to make sure everything is packed that we are going to need. A nephew is coming to house sit for us and offered to look after Heidi but she frets when she is away from me. My husband reckons I fret when I am away from her. :(
Cheers Mandy
Mandy B
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:04 pm

I know how you feel re the separation Mandy....I feel exactly the same way about my girls too.

I can only imagine how you are feeling with only 6 days to go......Excited beyond all belief....good on you.

Please post your adventures as you travel and pics too........it will be great to follow your journey as you travel.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:43 pm

The race is now on Mandy.....Will see who gets away first on Monday...lol
We will be in Airlie beach by friday...staying there for 10...to...14 days,,,so,,,if you are that far up by then...we are staying in the camping grounds 100mtrs up from the shopping centre.. :beer :beer :beer
Where do you plan on stopping for the 1st nite......I will have worked all sunday nite...so...we will probably stay at the Matilda @ Gympie....if I'm still feeling fine...we may carry on to????

Cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:48 pm

On the river at Calliope is also good Rosco and there is also a good stopover at Tiaro.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:27 am

Going North to Townsville a few years back I stayed at this stop-over.......And do you think I can remember where it is....
We also stayed there one nite in our bus while returning to Brisbane....

Heading Nth....I remember coming down this hill where the road was sweeping to the left...then over a small bridge......This stop-over was on the r/h side....just before the bridge.

Taking this pic....The road would be behind me and a small creek down a small bank on the left hand side of where I'm standing....

Does any-one reconize where it is ?????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:56 am

Can't believe I am going to say this Rosco.....but the pic is a bit small and does not enlarge by clicking on it.

My other comment would be that if it was some years ago, maybe the road structure has changed since.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:11 pm

Maybe the Boyne River RA Rosco.....have never stayed there myself but have friends who came north to meet up with me last year and they always stop over there.

CAW6 # 109. It has been there for quite a while and has been quite popular with travelers.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:23 pm

Another possibility could be Granite Creek RA which is 63 klms north of Gin Gin. CAW6 # 115. Again, I have not stayed there so do not know what it looks like but I am presuming in that time frame you would be still south of Gladstone.

Have a look at these links....it could be the same place as in your pic Rosco.

http://www.caravanningnews.com/granite.htm

http://www.coastshop.com.au/maps/rest_a ... _creek.htm
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Yep checked them out...it is Granite creek......Thanks Gypsy

420K From here so...about the right distance to travel in a day

Cheers & thanks for the help

Rosco :beer :beer :beer :beer
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Mandy B » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:18 pm

We are taking a relaxing drive up north. Have things to do in Brisbane before we leave. Will leave here about 8am should be finished in Brisbane by 3pm if lucky. Staying at Brother & sister in laws at Buderim on Monday night. Inskip is the first stop for a week then onto Norval Park for a few days. Airlie Beach is on our list for a couple of days, looking at staying a Flame Tree CP got to find somewhere thats dog friendly.
Mandy
Mandy B
Boy Scout

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Mandy....We are staying at this one at Airlie beach because it is Pet friendly...there was no others..
Seem like real nice managers

Cheers

http://www.caravanparkphotos.com.au/whi ... /index.htm
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:14 pm

There are at least 3 Pet Friendly CPs in Airlie Beach Rosco, Flametree is one for sure. http://www.flametreevillage.com.au/

Airlie Cove CP http://www.airliecove.com.au/ is also another pet friendly CP in Airlie Beach.

Will see if I can find out the name of the other one. Friends of mine stayed at it last year. It might be the one you mentioned Rosco but will confirm this. http://theseabreezepark.com.au/

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Rosco1 wrote:Yep checked them out...it is Granite creek......Thanks Gypsy

Glad to be of service Rosco.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat