Another Newbie

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Another Newbie

Postby Mandy B » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:33 am

Hi All, my name is Mandy and I am from SE Queensland. My husband and I are about to set off on a 4 month 10,000 klm trip around Queensland. We plan on going up to the Cape back down through the Gulf out to far western Queensland and back home. We have a tent and 4x4. Been camping a few times but havent spent 4 months in the tent so its going to be an experience, to say the least.
Regards
Mandy
Mandy B
Boy Scout

Re: Another Newbie

Postby Cheryl R » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi Mandy and welcome. I'm just back to the forum myself. You certainly have an experience coming up with your trip to the Cape. Don't know about 4 months in a tent but I guess it's only for bunking down at night. When are you planning to leave?
Cheryl R
Boy Scout

Postby Mandy B » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi Cheryl, We plan to leave on the 23rd April (only 1 week to go). Only going to Inskip Point first for about a week then onto Norval Park (near Bundaberg) for a few days. What sort of dogs do you travel with? We have a 11 year old tenterfield terrier that comes every where with us, she loves the car. When I work out how I will put a picture of her up.
Cheers Mandy
Mandy B
Boy Scout

Postby Cheryl R » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Wow, a week to go. You must be getting very excited. Love to see a pic of your dog. The dog in my avatar comes with me. He's a jack russell cross. Also travel with a german shepherd x maremma and a bichon x shih tzu. They love camping.
Cheryl R
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:52 pm

Hi Cheryl, glad to see you have found us again. We have missed you.

Mandy.....looks like you have some fantastic adventures ahead of you....sounds fabulous.

Re your fur baby and presuming you will be also taking him traveling....may I give you some advice from my own experience.

Make sure you have his vaccinations, worming and tick control up to date all the time. Carry his vaccination records with you as well and of course make a point of picking up his droppings as well. There are many who will happily take you to task if you do not do this.....lot of anti dog people out there traveling.

Remember to harness him in the car as it is now illegal to travel without them being harnessed or enclosed in a travel cage. Also some toys and his favourite bedding is good too......4 months is a long time for him to be in unfamiliar places every day or two.

I traveled for 6 months last year with my 2 girls and found that if you keep these few things in mind you and he will enjoy the trip immensely.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lockyer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi mandy

The wife and I did 3 weeks out in western Qld in a tent and a mazda 929 many years ago, we had packing and unpacking the car down to a fine art towards the end of the trip.
Look forward to some trip updates during your travels

:hello:
Lawrence
You don't have to live forever.....you just have to live.
Lockyer
Camping Veteran

Postby Mandy B » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:54 pm

Thanks for the tips GL. Heidi is really good at travelling nothing bothers her as long as she has her bed shes happy. She has never been into toys she just has an old tennis ball that she has pulled all the fur off of. I hope to be able to post pics and info about our trip has we go. must learn how to post the pics though. LOL
Mandy :+
Mandy B
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:56 am

Posting pics is not difficult Mandy....you can use either Photobucket or similar web hosting photo sites or post them direct.

If you post them direct you will need to downsize them first to 640 x 480 which is a good message board size.

To post direct from this part you need to look down to UPLOAD ATTACHMENT and click on it

Then BROWSE and select a photo from your PC and ADD FILE.....continue the same process for each pic you want to add.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Mandy B » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Well here goes have down sized the photos to the right size ( I hope)
DSCF0595.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mandy B
Boy Scout

Postby Mandy B » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:15 pm

:+ I have done it. Will be able to post pics of our trip now. Thats my Heidi baby. 11 year old Tenterfield Terrier.
cheers Mandy
Mandy B
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Congratulations Mandy....successful pic posting and yes the size is excellent. Glad to see Miss Heidi up for all we dog lovers to see as well.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Cheryl R » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Heidi is a beautiful girl. Terriers are great.
Cheryl R
Boy Scout

Postby Mandy B » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:12 pm

yes I think she is beautiful. She is slightly overweight (takes after her mum. LOL) She should weigh about 5kg and at the moment she is 6.5kg. Tried cutting her food down but doesn't seem to make too much difference. Unfortunately shes not into exercise. Her idea of exercise is walking out to her food dish to see if there is anything in it. Hopeing she will lose a bit while we are away.
Mandy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mandy B
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Look at those soulful eyes.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Cheryl R » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:56 am

A lot of us seem to gain weight as we get older and it's very hard to lose and exercise is such a bother. I guess Heidi is in that category. LOL.
Cheryl R
Boy Scout

Next

Return to Introductions: