Wollongong Family starting again

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Wollongong Family starting again

Postby reef » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:24 pm

Hi everyone. We are a beach and outdoors loving family of Mum, Dad, Girl 5 1/2 Girl 4 and Boy 2 1/2. Hubby and I are getting back into camping after having the kids. It was easy just to pack up the old troopy we had with a small dome tent, the basics, a few boards and off we would go to wherever we felt like. Now we have to be a bit more organised from what sort of tent, location, food, cooking, lighting, storage etc the list seems endless. We don't really have alot left from the old days (it's only been 6 years) that we can use for a family so we are pretty much starting from scratch again. We are looking at mainly caravan parking it (2 week stretches) with a cabin tent till we get a bit of practice with the kids and then start collecting stuff to become self sufficent one day in the bush. The car is only a Kia Sorento so we won't be bushing it too extremely. Well thats us - I'm doing lots of reading on here for tips and your forums are great - see you all in the fresh air one day soon !!!!!
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby mummeee74 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:24 pm

Hi! Welcome to the forum! We have just started camping with kids and it's not for the faint-hearted! But awesome family fun!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby bugsssy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:19 pm

Welcome Reef

Glad to see more families getting back to basics and showing kids the real outdoors. Ask away as there seem to be a few of us families with young ones on here and if you ever want to join us(my family) camping up north (Mid North Coast NSW) feel free to send an email and we'd love to meet more families with kids for caravan park camping.

take care

Cass
bugsssy
Captain Camping

Postby the4bears » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:57 pm

Hi reef & welcome!
all i can say is keep it simple YET take everything you can fit in!

best of luck
regards the4bears
:beer :beer :beer :beer
the4bears
Camping King

Postby mytribe » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:28 am

Hi, welcome.

We're another family of campers, but we do bush camping.

Although I think I'd like to try a caravan park, one day :grin:
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby reef » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:26 pm

thanks for the warm welcome guys - we have got the tent and it is huge but will be great cause we plan to do 2 weeks stops at a time. It's a boots citadel hope that is a good brand, it seems good and fits us great. Just want to know id the mesh under the tent is needed or not especially if we get summer storms and is the silver tarp over the top a good idea or a waste. I want to make the tent as cool as possible for when the littlest has a day sleep cause if he doesn't have a good sleep it is a VERY VERY long afternoon through hell. Anyone got ideas ?
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:34 pm

Hi Reef

Until recently acquiring a camper trailer I tented for over thirty years. Go for the silver tarp over the top. Just make sure you can keep it up a bit from the roof of the tent to allow air flow. Will definately keep the tent cooler on a hot day.

Mesh under the tent will keep it cleaner and also stop some although not all sharp objects coming through.

One really good bit of advice is to get yourselves either a really good esky or a camping fridge and also the biggest you can afford. Keeping food fresh and unspoiled can make a really big difference to a camping holiday.

Regards

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby reef » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:11 pm

thanks that helps heaps. I have so many questions - can't wait to get away but just want to be a bit organised with the kids around. In the before kids days we just packed up a tent and the basics and bush camped - so easy but now we have a lot more to think about. We still have our camp oven, grill/hotplate, tripod but I guess I won't be needing them for a while - I think we will just van park it until we get the whole set up down pat and then upgrade to bushing it - I LOVE bush camping but I have so much more to think about like fridge/freezer and 12v setup. Speaking of which I am going to go over to the Camping gear forum and put all my questions in there seeing this is really for introductions. And yes we would love to meet up with anyone camping and thanks for the kids getting back to basics comment. Now if we can just get the rest of the world to stop encouraging kids to be hanede everything on a plate and wrapping them up in cotton wool - love to see my kids happy dirty and free !
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:30 am

Hi again

If you really love doing some cooking in your camp oven then buy yourself an old electric frying pan and use heat beads. Check out the following page on my website to see how easy it can be. http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/charcoalasheat.htm Give me a yell if you want any more info.

When my kids were little we bush camped all the time. Some of the kids great memories even today are of those times in National Parks and State Forests. Pick one close to home and do an overnighter with the kids and see how you go. Might surprise yourself.

Regards

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Scolers » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:18 pm

Hi and welcome to the forums Reef. I reckon if you get right into it (camping) you might end up with a camper trailer ... many other members have bought themselves a CT within months of joining the forum.

:?#

Cheers!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby jollyroger » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:14 pm

Reef Welcome...

If you don't want a Camper Trailer just yet why not use a 6X4 trailer to drag more gear around with you. Gives you more room in the Troopie.
A lot of our friends use trailers. They put fridges and bigger eskies even the bloody microwave. Which I don't think is kosha unless you have babies.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Scolers » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:38 pm

jollyroger wrote:. Which I don't think is kosha unless you have babies.

I don't think it's right to put a baby in the microwave ... unless you have one large enough for them to crawl around inside ...

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby jollyroger » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:07 pm

I love kids - but I couldn't eat a whole one!

:*** :*** :*** :***
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Return to Introductions: