Thermal Cookers

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Thermal Cookers

Postby Lucy C » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi,

I had a brief look at the recent caravan and camping show at a couple of brands of thermal cookers, without any thought of getting one but having thought about it, it would be great idea for home and travelling. I would love to use a slow cooker but the thought of having something electrical running all day gives me the willies (greenie household here) but this sounds like a fantastic alternative.

There seem to be a few brands out there, has anyone had experience or heard what any of them are like?

Thanks,

Lucy
Lucy C
Boy Scout

Re: Thermal Cookers

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:08 pm

I have a Dream Pot Lucy and love it to bits; use it camping, traveling and at home. I have had mine for about 6 or maybe 7 years or so and have cooked everything from scones, to pot roasts, casseroles, sweets, cakes and the best pickled pork you'll ever eat. It is very versatile.

I originally purchased it to use when I am traveling about this great country of ours. Can prep the meal in the morning and have it ready for dinner when I stop. Can also be used as a chiller by adding ice to it.

My last trip in 2009 over a 5 week period I would say the DP was probably used maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

I have a 5 litre pot which is an ample for a family of 4 but I have on more than one occasion fed 6 or 7 from it. There is also a 3 litre and a 6 litre pot as well.

Have a look at these links: https://www.dreampot.com.au/
https://www.dreampot.com.au/recipes/latest-recipes/

Another one of my favourite meals is Beef Stroganoff ....prepare it at home before heading out camping....GREAT.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch2 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:26 am

Wait till Aldi have them on special, on side by side test performance is the same.
I too have a dreampot love it to bits.
Great to keep salads cool as well,
We use our slow cooker a lot,If you worried just use it outside under cover.
Lamb shanks and Osso Bucco :+
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:51 am

Titch2 wrote:Wait till Aldi have them on special, on side by side test performance is the same.
Titch

I have looked at the Aldi one Titch and whilst I am sure it works well (plenty of people have them) it is definitely not the same quality in the stainless steel as the DP.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lucy C » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:57 pm

I have heard that Aldi has a similar one but we don't have Aldi in SA. The Aldi one is a bit smaller isn't it?

So other brands like the shuttle chef aren't really worth the extra money?
Lucy C
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:16 pm

Lucy C wrote:I have heard that Aldi has a similar one but we don't have Aldi in SA. The Aldi one is a bit smaller isn't it?

Yes the Aldi ones may be a tad smaller but they are also made with inferior stainless steel....hence the low cost. They are also not always available, they come in as special purchases as does most things with Aldi. Don't get me wrong....I often buy items of this nature from Aldi and they have always been good BUT I have a DP and know the difference in the quality.

Lucy, I am sure people with Shuttle Chef cookers are equally as happy with theirs as I am with my DP. SC did not suit my purpose as from memory they have either one large inner pot or 2 small inner pots.

DP has one large inner pot and one small inner pot which I find more versatile.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch2 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:54 pm

GypsyLady wrote:
Lucy C wrote:I have heard that Aldi has a similar one but we don't have Aldi in SA. The Aldi one is a bit smaller isn't it?

Yes the Aldi ones may be a tad smaller but they are also made with inferior stainless steel....hence the low cost. They are also not always available, they come in as special purchases as does most things with Aldi. Don't get me wrong....I often buy items of this nature from Aldi and they have always been good BUT I have a DP and know the difference in the quality.

Lucy, I am sure people with Shuttle Chef cookers are equally as happy with theirs as I am with my DP. SC did not suit my purpose as from memory they have either one large inner pot or 2 small inner pots.

DP has one large inner pot and one small inner pot which I find more versatile.

Interesting thought on the stainless steel, I Never graded it, so what type of stainless are both units using.?
Ours seem to clean the same.
Seem to scrub the same.
Looks the same.
Maybe I am paying too little or something.
Cheers
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:38 pm

Don't know the specific grade as such Titch but my DP saucepans are much heavier and thicker than the Aldi one.

Even the DP lids are heavier/thicker stainless steel and I am told this means it is a heavier grade of material.

The Aldi one feels tinny and much more lightweight by comparison.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch2 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:45 pm

The thermal properties of the Cookers may be more important.
The stainless properties are more of a ?
no Idea, maybe a looks type thingy.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:53 pm

It is important that's for sure and so is the pot you are cooking in. The heavier the pot the better the overall performance will be in the cooking.

Cook with a lightweight cheapie pan and see how difficult it is in comparison to a better quality one. The lightweight ones tend to catch on the bottom very easily and will burn quite easily....the heavier better quality ones will not.

I am sure you already know all of this Titch...... There are plenty of people who have the Aldi ones and are happy with them.....maybe that is because they know nothing else to compare with...maybe not.

The way I see it is a matter of personal choice and budget.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Deborah P » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:37 pm

We bought an Eco Pot at the Sydney Camping Show - what a DISASTER!! We were told how wonderful it was and that we would be able to cook food and keep it hot for 8 hours etc etc etc etc ... well, brought it home and tried it out ..... seems it only works if the pot is 80% full - no good for our little family - we would be eating for days if we had to fill up that pot. Phoned Eco Pot and all we got was a very RUDE, arrogant, and unhelpful lady who basically told us we were liars and that they would never have sold us the pot without telling us that it had to be 80% full. I am furious because this pot cost us $275 and it is sitting in our cupboard. Some people absolutely love these pots and I am sure they would work well for larger families. If you are interested in buying one - I would highly recommend you stay well away from Eco Pot - after sales service is disgraceful. On that note, if anyone wants to buy an Eco Pot - I have one for sale!!
Deborah P
Boy Scout

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:02 pm

What a shame Deborah because that's a LOT of money for something that is of no use to you.

I have never used one or really want one but at least the lady could have been nice about it, or maybe you are not the first she has had ring her about it??????

Couldn't they have sold you a smaller size or is there only one size?
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:52 pm

That is extremely disappointing Deborah.

Rather than letting it sit in the cupboard and go to waste you could use it for other cooking and meals.....not necessarily those that need to remain in it for so long.

Sweets do not take long....or put it on at lunch time in readiness for dinner, not quite so long in time.

Corned beef is great cooked in my DP and I imagine it would be the same cooked in the EcoPot. I even cook cakes in mine too.

You can also use it to keep things cold....does not have to be used exclusively for hot food.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby padfoot » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:11 pm

That's just not cricket, Deborah.
I am not sure you should leave it there. I think you should email and ring again and if you get the same buzzard, ask to speak with someone further up the food chain. They have sold you something not fit for the purpose you intended.
As GL said with a bit of lateral thinking I think you should be able to get it working with a few different recipes. One I do is boiling water in the bottom with potatoes and then savoury mince in the top pot. The kids love that one.
I have one of the Aldi jobs and it does a fine job for stews and corned beef. I even make yogurt in the little top pot when I am at home. It was $89 instead of $250+ for the other known brands. The thermal properties are fine but as GL said it does sometime catch on the bottom. I put up with that. The budget doesn't allow the expensive ones for now.

Good luck!
padfoot
Camping King

Postby Deborah P » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:37 pm

Thanks for the tips - we are camping these school holidays so we will give it another go. Perhaps now that I am not quite so furious it might work better!!lol We did actually contact the Department of Fair Trading but they basically said that it is a case of 'he said, she said'. The lady at the Dept. of Fair Trading also contacted Eco Pot to no avail - basically got the same response :$ We could have taken it further but there would have been costs involved and a lot of time - anyway, lesson learnt - if we had bought this from Aldi or Big W, we would have got a refund no questions asked. It's a pity because we do like to try buy Aussie but with service like that, it puts you off :(

ANYWAY, happy camping everyone - can't wait to get back out there now that it is a little warmer!! :grin:
Deborah P
Boy Scout

Next

Return to Gear Guide