bars in camp trailer.......??????

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Postby jollyroger » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:02 pm

Only thought about this once it broke. It might have to with the missus helping (not being nasty) and not having the strength to keep up with me and the poles get out of whack as you pull it over - up or down. Or the kids sitting on the CT waiting while we plan our first beer or coffee. Depends if your arriving or leaving. The weight of the canvas won't matter as the canvas ages. I have 15oz canvas which is now a little over 12months old. So it's more plyable.
I should review how I set up and pull down. Maybe I need two people for the whole process not just for the pulling of the tent off the CTY. I was never shown how to set ours up. Bought it secondhand.

:?#
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby RYAINS » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:39 pm

Well my one will be 15oz canvas as well and i think i'll be getting the look after it and make it last $8,200 worth of years "demo" before i drive it out.
Can't wait for next summer!.... or a camp trailer :-)
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby mummeee74 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:53 pm

Jollyroger we have been thinking about this problem, DH has to open and close our camper on his own as I am usually chasing one of the kids across the park, we wondered about the possibility of damaging the poles, we were thinking perhaps some sort of straps he could pull which would distribute the weight across the poles rather than just one side, keep it more even. Guess I am just thinking out loud....
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby jollyroger » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:38 pm

I thought about this for the last few days.
Bugga me at the Caravan and Camping Show today in Adel there was a guy showing off his 'new' system of setup which had a strap stitched to the top of the tent for every pole that needs to pulled out.
I watched the bloke do it with ease on a large CT by himself. It wouldn't take much to sew one in and would be perfect.

I am going to try and remove my broken bar in the CT myself and have it re-welded and then try get it back in. This would save me a motsa!

The strap idea works and workds well. It's a goer! Everyone should do it.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:10 am

It's so obvious really isn't it, they manufacturers should of realised this long ago. I am thinking of a velcro thingy that can be detached (or not) once it is opened, or perhaps has a dual purpose of hanging bits and pieces in?

Good luck with the repairs! Let us know how you go.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat