Petition For Site Upgrade

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: Petition For Site Upgrade

Postby Woodsy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:12 pm

hey dicko are you able to message an admin on that website, and get them to fix the signup page? i've tried contacting them but dont get a reply.

Keeps telling me info is required.

Cheers Josh
Cheers Josh
User avatar
Woodsy
Blatant Padder
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 3:38 pm
Location: Ettalong Beach, NSW

Re: Petition For Site Upgrade

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:20 pm

I am at a real loss as to why the site owner doesn't do more with this goldmine.

When you google camping australia this is the first on the list???????? (camping.com.au)

Being first on a google hit is an advertising goldmine......not sure why they are not taking full advantage of their position.... :roll:
Image
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble
 
Posts: 1745
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Central West NSW

Re: Petition For Site Upgrade

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:37 pm

Is this the one that Rosco owns/administers??
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Re: Petition For Site Upgrade

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:57 pm

I have to say I am extremely distressed at the amount of great information that will be lost if this site is closed down!!

The time and the effort that many, many members have put into making this site a valuable camping information resource is nothing short of astounding.

To each and everyone of you who has contributed I say a very BIG heartfelt THANK YOU for all your efforts. The generosity of all the members who have contributed has been overwhelming.

I am sure there are many, many people....members and general public who have readily found solutions to many of their problems HERE..on this very site. To me, the loss of this valuable resource will be nothing short of tragic.

I am at a loss as to what we can do to retain this site and the valuable information contained therein as I am sure Josh (Woodsy) has covered it all in his communication with Andrew.

This has to be one of the most sincere and friendliest forums on the Net and I believe there have been some wonderful friendships formed here over time.

I am truly saddened by the suggestion that this will all be lost.

Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Re: Petition For Site Upgrade

Postby dicko77 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:54 pm

Is this the one that Rosco owns/administers??[/quote]
Yes I think so. No much going on there but if we all go on there we can make it better :beer
dicko77
Camping Veteran
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:16 pm

Re: Petition For Site Upgrade

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:03 pm

GypsyLady wrote:I have to say I am extremely distressed at the amount of great information that will be lost if this site is closed down!!

The time and the effort that many, many members have put into making this site a valuable camping information resource is nothing short of astounding.

To each and everyone of you who has contributed I say a very BIG heartfelt THANK YOU for all your efforts. The generosity of all the members who have contributed has been overwhelming.

I am sure there are many, many people....members and general public who have readily found solutions to many of their problems HERE..on this very site. To me, the loss of this valuable resource will be nothing short of tragic.

I am at a loss as to what we can do to retain this site and the valuable information contained therein as I am sure Josh (Woodsy) has covered it all in his communication with Andrew.

This has to be one of the most sincere and friendliest forums on the Net and I believe there have been some wonderful friendships formed here over time.

I am truly saddened by the suggestion that this will all be lost.



I am with you there GL.

If someone can eventually get through to Andrew and even if he does not want to keep the forum then he should be able to make the data available for someone to set up a website and transfer it across to a new forum.

Might cost someone a few dollars to do it but certainly worthwhile.

I am quite happy to help if I can.

Cheers


Derek
Image
User avatar
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:48 pm
Location: Karana Downs, Queensland

Re: Petition For Site Upgrade

Postby Woodsy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:01 pm

I'm happy to look into hosting costs etc for a forum wether it is finacially viable for me to do that or not is another thing though.

If that other forum is rosco's and we are all happy to move onto it then i'm happy to do that too. Better to have one big community than add another stuggling forum to the mix.
Cheers Josh
User avatar
Woodsy
Blatant Padder
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 3:38 pm
Location: Ettalong Beach, NSW

Re: Petition For Site Upgrade

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:07 pm

Woodsy wrote:I'm happy to look into hosting costs etc for a forum wether it is finacially viable for me to do that or not is another thing though.

If that other forum is rosco's and we are all happy to move onto it then i'm happy to do that too. Better to have one big community than add another stuggling forum to the mix.


Josh

First you need to register a domain. Up to $30 a year. Then find a host with a suitable server. I pay $27 a month to host my forum but you could get cheaper.

I think the issue with going to a forum that is already going is the loss of information already here.

I am happy to help setting up if we can get the data from here. If not you are right it just be another struggling forum


Derek
Image
User avatar
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:48 pm
Location: Karana Downs, Queensland

Re: Petition For Site Upgrade

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:14 am

For god's sake Andrew PLEASE listen to us and make this right.

It would definately be a HUGE tragedy if all of this extremely valuable information is lost not to mention the great people that have put that information on here.
Image
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble
 
Posts: 1745
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Central West NSW

Re: Petition For Site Upgrade

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:25 pm

Firstly, To put your minds at rest....NO....I am not the owner of Camping in OZ...I'm simply a Moderator.
I personally think its incorrect for a member of another site to come here & try and entice the members over to another forum...Hence the reason I have never talked about Camping in Oz on here.
All forums at present (including CIO) are struggling to get their members to become more active for one reason or another...
Blame the weather,time of the year,work commitments,the economy,the ''Owner''...even maybe ''Julia''...who knows???
I think one of the main reasons forums are failing is because of the number of members who are in direct contact through ''Facebook''(including myself).... :(

I belong to 4 forums..(as many of us do)...all for different reasons and keep coming back to this one (no...not because I enjoy signing in each time...lol)...but because I enjoy the fellow campers on here and the great info obtainable about different regions in this Country...(Have to admit though....I do miss the old timer ''Titch's'' company not being here....)

Woodsy mentioned briefly about the advantages of joining the 2 forums...A good idea in some ways but I cannot see either owner agreeing to this HOW-EVER....I can see no harm in joining together for ''GROUP CAMPS''....This could & would be an advantage to all the Campers who chose to attend these Camps....If for no other reason...Than To get the numbers up....

Cheers

Rosco
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble
 
Posts: 1143
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:52 pm
Location: Nth Brisbane

Re: Petition For Site Upgrade

Postby Activity_Dept » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:30 am

OK so lets see. The members don't like that this forum is on caravan-parks.org, the auto login doesn't work and that I run a dating review on a different website.

Firstly the site is still linked to camping.com.au and gets numerous visitors from that site.

The auto login contrary to Derek's remarks is not so easy to fix as I told him and a number of others the forum has been integrated into a PHP site so it is complicated. The developer who did it has left and despite hiring a few contractors to fix it they have failed. It seems to work on some computers but not others.

What I do on other sites has nothing to do with this forum. Excuse me if I happen to run a dating review blog on another site.

Derek's comments were wrong and way out of line. The man has no programming experience, has done nothing but promote his competing forum on this site and expects me to hand over 15 years of data to him. If my members do not see right through that crap I am disappointed.

As I see it you all ready to leave this forum because the auto login doesn't work, or was it because I run a dating review on another site, or maybe because you don't get enough members signing up?

I have done 2 major updates in the 15 years each time I lost half my members. I have learned you can't keep everyone happy. The bottom line is members are hard to come by on any forum. This one gets more than most camping forums. The auto login doesn't work, its not easy to fix if it was I would have done it but I have tried.

If you would all focus on camping instead of making up wild stories about how I am some evil twin i.e. Derek "I told him how to fix it", "that is disgusting"...

I have paid tens of thousands of dollars to provide you with a forum. It is not perfect most aren't. I would put tens of thousands back into it, if it showed any promise but if the site goes well people try to move the members across to their forum thinking they can do better if it does poorly they try and move members across because they think I'm somehow abusing them. It is a constant, note Derek's comments and banners on his profile linking to his forum.

Ultimately the only technical issue you seem to have is that the auto login does not work. Is that correct?

If you want the forum back on www.camping.com.au, exported back to a manageable forum and have sufficient funds to admin and promote it for one year. It will cost $20k. revenues on this "Gold Mine" are about $5,000 per year so it will be a $15k loss. So do we have any volunteers? Based on the current membership that is about $1,000 each...

Lets start a raise funds petition...
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
User avatar
Activity_Dept
Site Admin
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:42 am
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Petition For Site Upgrade

Postby Lockyer » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:54 am

Activity_Dept wrote:As I see it you all ready to leave this forum because the auto login doesn't work, or was it because I run a dating review on another site, or maybe because you don't get enough members signing up?



Ultimately the only technical issue you seem to have is that the auto login does not work. Is that correct?



...


Hello AD

As far as I'm concerned, if the "auto log-in" could be fixed I don't give rats ar*e about the rest, but I would like to take this opportunity to ask you just one question.
What outcome do you want from this website ??

If the the log-in issue was corrected, there maybe a few more members...maybe...but I for one would happily post alot more on here, and why is that ? well myself and my wife go away every month for 3 days away and when doing a trip report if I lose my wireless internet then it's back to log - in and start again, if I go and check my emails while doing the report I have to log-in again etc etc and I do not like holding a browers open while doing other things on the internet as that is a sure fire way for mining cookies to infect a person's computer.

Cheers L :+
Lawrence
You don't have to live forever.....you just have to live.
Lockyer
Camping Veteran
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:23 am
Location: SE QLD

Re: Petition For Site Upgrade

Postby Lockyer » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:59 am

There you go I just went into the LPG thread and clicked a link to complain about LPG prices and guess who had to log back in....!!!
Lawrence
You don't have to live forever.....you just have to live.
Lockyer
Camping Veteran
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:23 am
Location: SE QLD

Re: Petition For Site Upgrade

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:29 pm

AD, I think the majority of concern is about the auto login feature and if that could be fixed then most of us if not all, would be very happy.

I certainly would be, for sure...... and I am more than happy to continue on with my role as well. I do not want to leave the forum and I think the majority also do not.

There is so much valuable info here and it would be a shame to lose it and I think that is what most are concerned about if we were to lose the site.

I cannot comment on the technical side of it and also have no issues with whatever else you do on the side....none of my business.
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Re: Petition For Site Upgrade

Postby Lockyer » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:27 pm

GypsyLady wrote:AD, I think the majority of concern is about the auto login feature and if that could be fixed then most of us if not all, would be very happy.

I certainly would be, for sure...... and I am more than happy to continue on with my role as well. I do not want to leave the forum and I think the majority also do not.

There is so much valuable info here and it would be a shame to lose it and I think that is what most are concerned about if we were to lose the site.

I cannot comment on the technical side of it and also have no issues with whatever else you do on the side....none of my business.



X2

X3

X4


and I had to log in again but this shows that I would post more if that auto log -in worked...........as Tony Christie says on my stero Ann Marie waits for me ................I'm out'a here

Cheers L
Lawrence
You don't have to live forever.....you just have to live.
Lockyer
Camping Veteran
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:23 am
Location: SE QLD

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests