Petition For Site Upgrade

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: Petition For Site Upgrade

Postby dicko77 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:49 am

I also don't want to leave I like the site and also don't give a rats whats on the side but the auto login gives me the sh#ts. I only posted the other Site to give people options if this site was to shut down. :beer
dicko77
Camping Veteran

Postby Rosco1 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:43 am

Yes..it would be great to get the ''auto login'' working again...just wondering if you asked another site/forum..if they can help you fix it

As far as the sister site...who cares,,,as long as it /they...don't bring ''spam'' to your site

And lastly.....Be nice to hear from you more often

Thats my ''2 bobs worth''...............

Cheers

Rosco :beer

P.S.......Sorry to see you go Lockyer :(
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Auto login is also my biggest bug bear........ also making the link to the forum more prominant on the website may help with membership. But just a suggestion so please don't bite my head off too. Also we posted about getting more members to click onto the banner ads whenever we could so the forum would make a little more money to cover costs (guess you missed that post too).

For the record I am not a member of Derek or Rosco's forums.

I am a member of only one other campertrailer forum which I visit more often than this one only because I don't have to login a couple of times a day or whenever I visit or revisit.

I also don't care what other sites you run....as for the dating site it has been here since I have been a member and I couldn't give a hoot.

I really didn't appreciate your aggressive post as we are only trying to make this forum better not sabotage it or drive people away we are actively trying to get more members on here if anything. If you would log in more often you would have noticed that. Sorry you feel so narky towards us as that was not our intention AT ALL. Really feeling quite peed off with your attitude to these really nice & helpful people that I have met on this site.

Just my two bobs worth...

The positive to this is that the only way is up.......working together will only help with this.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Woodsy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:03 pm

I have to agree, this topic was made to HELP the forum, alot of us have been on here for years! We dont want a fancy forum we just want a working forum, and yes without you paying to keep the forum online we dont have a forum at all, but without us forumers, its not a forum.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:46 pm

Activity_Dept wrote:OK so lets see. The members don't like that this forum is on caravan-parks.org, the auto login doesn't work and that I run a dating review on a different website.

Firstly the site is still linked to camping.com.au and gets numerous visitors from that site.

The auto login contrary to Derek's remarks is not so easy to fix as I told him and a number of others the forum has been integrated into a PHP site so it is complicated. The developer who did it has left and despite hiring a few contractors to fix it they have failed. It seems to work on some computers but not others.

What I do on other sites has nothing to do with this forum. Excuse me if I happen to run a dating review blog on another site.

Derek's comments were wrong and way out of line. The man has no programming experience, has done nothing but promote his competing forum on this site and expects me to hand over 15 years of data to him. If my members do not see right through that crap I am disappointed.

As I see it you all ready to leave this forum because the auto login doesn't work, or was it because I run a dating review on another site, or maybe because you don't get enough members signing up?

I have done 2 major updates in the 15 years each time I lost half my members. I have learned you can't keep everyone happy. The bottom line is members are hard to come by on any forum. This one gets more than most camping forums. The auto login doesn't work, its not easy to fix if it was I would have done it but I have tried.

If you would all focus on camping instead of making up wild stories about how I am some evil twin i.e. Derek "I told him how to fix it", "that is disgusting"...

I have paid tens of thousands of dollars to provide you with a forum. It is not perfect most aren't. I would put tens of thousands back into it, if it showed any promise but if the site goes well people try to move the members across to their forum thinking they can do better if it does poorly they try and move members across because they think I'm somehow abusing them. It is a constant, note Derek's comments and banners on his profile linking to his forum.

Ultimately the only technical issue you seem to have is that the auto login does not work. Is that correct?

If you want the forum back on http://www.camping.com.au, exported back to a manageable forum and have sufficient funds to admin and promote it for one year. It will cost $20k. revenues on this "Gold Mine" are about $5,000 per year so it will be a $15k loss. So do we have any volunteers? Based on the current membership that is about $1,000 each...

Lets start a raise funds petition...

That is very unfair and untruthful of you and you know it.

I was a member of this forum before I started my website and forum and ALWAYS had links to camping.com.au and promoted it on my website. Now removed.

The link in my signature which you have removed has been there since 2005.

All of my words and suggestions were towards saving the data on this site from being lost.

I will bid you all goodbye.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Activity_Dept » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:15 am

The auto login is complicated. I have had programmers look and not be able to fix it because it has been modified to limit spam and integrate with our other sites admin system.

I am not here getting angry at anyone I am replying to defend my intentions and my integrity. I have allowed anyone to say anything they like until it becomes a personal attack on me then I come out in my defense.

In terms of my use of the site, I don't log on much but Gypsylady is the admin, if their are issues relevant to the forum she can usually address them. Apart from technical issues; but like I say I am not ignoring this auto login issue its just that no one can seem to get their head around it.

When the cash reserves build up a bit I will revert back to a forum but the big reason I left was because the spam was overwhelming this login prevents the bulk of it but obviously has this auto login issue.

Anyway I will look into it when I can.
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 am

X B......Maybe you missed my post of 31/07/12 stating ''Camping in oz'' is NOT ''My'' forum...I am only a moderator on it....
Rosco1 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:25 pm

Firstly, To put your minds at rest....NO....I am not the owner of Camping in OZ...I'm simply a Moderator.I personally think its incorrect for a member of another site to come here & try and entice the members over to another forum...Hence the reason I have never talked about Camping in Oz on here.
All forums at present (including CIO) are struggling to get their members to become more active for one reason or another...
Blame the weather,time of the year,work commitments,the economy,the ''Owner''...even maybe ''Julia''...who knows???
I think one of the main reasons forums are failing is because of the number of members who are in direct contact through ''Facebook''(including myself)....

I belong to 4 forums..(as many of us do)...all for different reasons and keep coming back to this one (no...not because I enjoy signing in each time...lol)...but because I enjoy the fellow campers on here and the great info obtainable about different regions in this Country...(Have to admit though....I do miss the old timer ''Titch's'' company not being here....)

Woodsy mentioned briefly about the advantages of joining the 2 forums...A good idea in some ways but I cannot see either owner agreeing to this HOW-EVER....I can see no harm in joining together for ''GROUP CAMPS''....This could & would be an advantage to all the Campers who chose to attend these Camps....If for no other reason...Than To get the numbers up....

Cheers

Rosco
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lockyer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:48 am

Activity_Dept wrote:The auto login is complicated. I have had programmers look and not be able to fix it because it has been modified to limit spam and integrate with our other sites admin system.

When the cash reserves build up a bit I will revert back to a forum but the big reason I left was because the spam was overwhelming this login prevents the bulk of it but obviously has this auto login issue.

Anyway I will look into it when I can.

Thanks A-D for letting us know you still have hope of fixing the problem, and I will still pop in and see how thing are going.

Rosco1 wrote:

Woodsy mentioned briefly about the advantages of joining the 2 forums...A good idea in some ways but I cannot see either owner agreeing to this HOW-EVER....I can see no harm in joining together for ''GROUP CAMPS''....This could & would be an advantage to all the Campers who chose to attend these Camps....If for no other reason...Than To get the numbers up....

Cheers

Rosco

I have given up on the going to anything that is a "group" activity because they're never good for us ie date/time/place plus whenever I have put up something about a get together (not on this site) no one ever responds.
So I just post what we're doing and when were going and leave it at that.

Cheers L
Lawrence
You don't have to live forever.....you just have to live.
Lockyer
Camping Veteran

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Oh Derek what a shame to lose you and your link to this forum. I for one will miss your presence here on this forum.

Gypsy did have a sponsor/advertiser but not sure what happened there???

Rosco I didn't mean 'your' forum sorry it was just as reference as to the other forum on which you are a moderator whoops.... :cheers

Yes I too miss old Titch but I think his reason for not returning is the auto login too......

Thanks admin for the reply but I really think you have taken Derek's comments the wrong way, he was only trying to help......but we have now lost him and his link which is a huge shame.

I heard a saying the other day that I thought was pretty good.....

'Say what you mean but don't say it mean'.....
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat