Camping in Dubbo??

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with children and babies.

Camping in Dubbo??

Postby Deborah P » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi everyone!!

We are thinking about taking the kids to Dubbo Zoo - I read the thread about the camping ground which sounds good but aside from the zoo, is there anything else to see/do at Dubbo?? Also, would April be a good time to go?

Thanks,

Deb
Deborah P
Boy Scout

Re: Camping in Dubbo??

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:15 am

Can't help you with that one Deb, hopefully someone will be along soon who can give you some guidance.

Personally I would thing April would be a fine time to visit, should be a little cooler. Check the Dubbo zoo website and see what is on offer at that time of year.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Deborah P » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Just spent two hours writing about our trip to Dubbo to be told I cannot post a reply and all my stuff is GONE!! Not impressed - if anyone wants to know about Dubbo - let me know. Had a great time!
Deborah P
Boy Scout

Postby Lockyer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:25 am

Hi Deb

To save you the heart ache of losing posts etc will let you in on what I do, type it up on your computer in "word" and save it in your documents folder then open the "post a reply" box and cut N paste it across and if it doesn't load or doesn't work you still have the save document to try agin.

Cheers
Lawrence
You don't have to live forever.....you just have to live.
Lockyer
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:29 am

Agree with Lawrence Deb, composing your story in Word first is the best insurance against losing it. I also understand your angst.

It would be lovely if you could find the time to do the report again. I am planning on being down Dubbo way later in the year and any info you can provide would be very much appreciated.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:20 pm

We went to Dubbo last September / October. We stayed in the council run holiday park, it was fully fenced with barb wire on the top and locking gates at the front which needed a security code to get in, now before you think 'that sounds bad' it was actually a really good camp ground, all the facilities were very clean including the camp kitchen had heaps of bird life around and the odd possum. The girlfriend even felt safe enough to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom as the park was lit up at night too. Couldnt fault the park at all and we even did a drive by of the big 4 which was just up the road and all it had at the front gate was drop down pole gate.

The zoo was good, abit pricey though considering how many animals were not on show and the swooping magpies, although the farting zebra was quite funny lol.

Watch out for kangaroo's though we almost didnt make it into Dubbo as we had a big red come out right infront of us, we only just missed it.

No problems with locals either.

Heres the link to the holiday park. http://www.dubbocityholidaypark.com.au/
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:18 pm

Is it pet friendly Josh??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:11 pm

i'm not sure on pet friendly, would probably have to have a dig around there website or contact them.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:39 pm

I couldn't find anything Josh which is why I asked the question. If is a council CP, then chances are it is not PF.

I will be down that way later in the year and will require a pet friendly CP that does not cost me an are and a leg.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Deborah P » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi – sorry for the late reply – been hibernating!!! lol

Thanks for the tip about WORD – I am writing this in Word as we ‘speak’!!

We also stayed at Dubbo City Holiday Park and could not fault it either. We cheated and stayed on an ensuite site – it was FABULOUS but because it is designed for caravans it took some organising to get the tent to fit and the ground was like cement!! As a result it took AGES to set up and hubby was not a happy camper – but once we finally got sorted we had the BEST holiday ever. The park was secure although a lady’s handbag was taken from her car so you need to be vigilant – I think that goes for any park these days. The pool was FREEZING but we were there in April so not great swimming weather.

As for Dubbo itself – wow – we loved it!! We of course went to the Zoo. I can understand why Josh would have thought it was expensive but for us it was great value because we had two FULL days at the zoo. The first day our kids went to the ‘Zoo Keeper for a Day’ adventure – you basically drop the kids off at 8:30 and pick them up at 3pm. They had a great time ‘behind the scenes’. While they were doing that, my hubby and I took a casual stroll around the zoo and took photo’s etc – we also went on the African Adventure – can’t say that was worth the money. A little disappointing. The second day (the admission price includes two consecutive days at the zoo) we went around the zoo with the kids on the tag along bike – WOW, WOW, WOW – it was awesome!!! We had such fun and because we took heaps of photos of the animals the day before, there was no sitting around getting bored for the kids.

Aside from the zoo we visited the Aladdin’s Cave Botttlehouse – that was really weird!! It’s basically a couples house that is surrounded by all sorts of fairy tale figurines and displays. For example there is a big stuffed doll and a harp in a tall tree – Jack and the Beanstalk. The Bottle House is pretty – also slightly weird but the kids thought it was unreal!!!

We also went to the Japanese Gardens in Dubbo – near the Woolies shopping centre – REALLY beautiful – we got some gorgeous pics of the kids! There were also Japanese Gardens at Wellington Caves – they were pretty but not as impressive as the Dubbo one. Wellington Caves was nice – we went into the little cave – cannot remember the name off hand – it was perfect for the little ones. There is also a much bigger cave where most people went which I have heard is lovely but not as impressive as Janolan caves.
The Astro Golf – just past the zoo – was SHOCKING!!! Some guy has literally mixed up cement and made a putt putt course!! It is ridiculous!! The one hole was so overgrown that it was actually impossible to play!! We decided against the star gazing which is at the same place!! lol

Dubbo Goal was another weird place – if you are into history you will love this but it is VERY creepy. My daughter who was 6 at the time was completely freaked out and her and I ended up sitting on the bench while my hubby and son explored. We had not planned on visiting the Goal but the Astro Golf was closed on the day we planned to go (even though it’s open 7 days a week ..???)

On the way home we went via Parkes and went to the telescope. It is really impressive and worth the detour if you are in the area. There is a 3D movie that you can watch which was quite interesting. We also did another ‘little’ 140km detour to the ‘Utes in the Paddock’ – OMG – let’s just say that it was an adventure!! We got some gorgeous photos but it was not exactly fun!!! lol BUT having said that, whenever we look at the photos we all have a good laugh!! The Utes are in the middle of NOWHERE and they have pretty much been stuck in a paddock and never touched again!! Us, the car and the trailer were FILTHY by the time we finished our little detour because everyone who we spoke to forgot to mention that you had to drive along for couple of kilometres on dirt road – that nice red, sticky dirt!!! Don’t let me put you off though – not many people have pictures of themselves and the Utes so it is an unique, once in a lifetime experience!!

All in all, Dubbo got a big thumbs up from us – even with the few blunders. The highlight was without a doubt the Zoo – we would go back just for the zoo! If we do go back, I would consider staying at the Big 4 – although it was A LOT more expensive but I think the facilities for the kids would be good.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone planning a trip to Dubbo!!

Happy Camping
PS I don't think the park is pet friendly - we certainly did not see anyone with a pet :(
Deborah P
Boy Scout

Postby Rosco1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:59 am

Just one more ''little'' thing about going to Dubbo.....

We arrived there at 21:30...expecting all the Motels to be open as they all said....OPEN till ...21:30...
HA....ONLY TROUBLE IS....They have ''Daylight savings hours''....and us Queenslanders were running an hour behind....lol
We did eventually find a place that was still open.....lucky....
It rained hard the whole time we were there so we didn't get to see much of the town (city ??)

Cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Where are the pics Deb....you said you took heaps.....can you share some of them please??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:37 am

Glad you had such a great time in Dubbo Deborah.

I feel the same about the Old Gaol but I have a personal connection to it and it's even creepier for me...I just had to get out as it frightened me and really upset me......

My great grandfather (Mum's pop) was the head prison warder at the goal when Mum was little and they all lived in the house on the grounds (not sure if you noticed it). Mum & her parents lived with them for a couple of years & Mum used to help Great Grandmother cook for the 'prissis' (that was what mum used to call the prisoners), also great grandad bought mum a doll back that one of the prisoners had made for her. All the gorgeous rose bushes you see surrounding the prison were planted by my great grandad too..... very proud of my history to the old gaol but just can't go in there....freaks me out. They also lost a lot of their personal belongings when the big floods hit Dubbo in the 50's.

I also know about those dirt roads......I wash my car one afternoon and the next morning when I drive into town to work down our road it's filthy again hahahahaha...... I was going to wash my car on Friday before we go away for the weekend but my hubby told me I was mad as by the time we hook the campertrailer on and drive down our road to head out of town they will both be covered in dust & filthy....not to mention the state of them by the time we get to Lightning Ridge....so I don't think I'll bother till we get home... :*** :*** :*** :***

Would love to see some of your pics you took at Dubbo........you don't happen to have some of the Old Gaol by chance as I haven't been there for years and would love to see some recent ones??
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Camping with Kids