Single father in Melbourne.

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Single father in Melbourne.

Postby Fonty » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:40 am

Hi there it looks like a great forum you've got going here. I used to camp out regularly from about the age of 17 to 21. I was on my own a lot or with a bunch of friends who ran Paintball Games back then in the Wombat Ranges. I had a fair bit of army gear and just slept under the stars or a tent fly mostly.

Family life stopped my camping trips pretty much. Neither of my wives were all that keen on camping for various reasons but now that I've been a single parent for the last 18 months or so I've been starting to take my kids, especially my four year old son who I'm also homeschooling, out camping again.

I've been having trouble finding decent campsites close to Melbourne as I've already posted here. My old haunts are a little bit further than I was willing to go for what are mostly just overnight trips, but it looks like I'm going to have to go further for real out-of-the-public camping.

We just have a four man tent which fits a single and double air mattress. Our main problem is the size of the car and squeezing everything in. It's just a little Ford Laser which is plenty of room just for me and my son. But I have three other daughters, one younger and two teenagers. This weekend my 14 year old daughter came with us to Rosebud which was great but fitting just one my child would be a real struggle with all the stuff we need. I'd probably have to leave the esky's behind and go for less perishable and more compact food.

I have been recommended a place in Warrandyte right on the river so we'll try that soon, within a week or two I think. We're vegan/vegetarians so my son Beren has never had marshmallows and I've just gotten an order for them arrive in the mail. :grin: Can't wait to get out there and roast them with him.

That reminds me, I had a dream last night I was eating a giant marshmallow and when I woke up my pillow was gone.

:***

Sorry I had to, I love that joke. :)

Cheers,

Andrew.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby mytribe » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:24 pm

Hi Andrew :grin:

Just noticed you're in FTG, so are we.

We've got 6 kids, but only take 4 of them camping(eldest doesn't live at home and the 17yr old wouldn't be caught dead camping in the bush with no where to plug in the hairdryer, straightener and other appliances).

The one's who do go camping are 14(boy), 7(girl), 5(boy) and 3(girl), the kids love camping.

So where abouts in Warrandyte are you going?
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Fonty » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:51 pm

That is quite a tribe. :) My 12 year old daughter is pretty much the same as your 17 year old, a bit delicate for 'roughing it in a tent'. Not that there's much roughing it involved in our camping trips really.

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_dis ... m?park=134

This is the place in Warrandyte, I'd never heard of it before and they do seem a bit secretive. You'll notice no tent icon in the description and they don't give you the directions till you pay for your site. I would have scanned it quickly and moved on if I'd been doing a search for it. Nor did I find it on my extensive search for sites a few months ago, so if I hadn't been told about it I'd not have found it now for sure. Being so close to Melbourne I may take my 2 year old daughter with us this time it will depend on what night we manage to get away.

Andrew.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby mytribe » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:57 pm

Ahhh that's probably why we haven't been, no dogs allowed. Not only that but it seems a bit too "civilised" for the other half :***

There's showers and bookings, and we don't do them :grin:
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby jollyroger » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:07 pm

Welcome Andrew!
Camping with kids is a hoot. Don't worry about the car just get out there and do it. One thing we do is just as we are bout to return home have a look at your gear and food then make a note of what you didn't use and then don't bring it next time.

One word of warning on the marshmellow..everytime my kids have rosted them one has puked in the Camper Trailer from eating too many.

Good luck. :+ :?# :+ :?#
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Komodo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:33 pm

I know of the campsite in Warrandyte you speak of - just be warned it is EXPENCIVE! from memory it is over $100 per night!

Its use is aimed at groups and it is a "secure" site with boom gates and the likes. Only one group at a time can camp at the site.

What about Eildon - Fraser camping grounds at Eildon national park?
Closer than the prom and probably less populated too! Toilets and shower facilities are available and the rangers are plenty freindly.

Good luck!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Introductions: