Need some tent advice...

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Need some tent advice...

Postby Malcolm F » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Hi,
This is my first post on this forum so first a little background to my request for advice.

I have been a tent car camper for over 50 years and like to travel relatively light. I have used the same tent for the last 40 years (!) - a Bukta Falcon Gold tent with extended Gold Flysheet - this combination being the ultimate in weather resistance in the 1960's. I still love this tent but age and bad knees have caught up with me and I must buy a new tent that has at least 1.8M headroom if I am to continue camping.

I camp alone or with one other person, the kids have long since moved on to their own tents. I don't have a requirement for two rooms but I would like an extended front porch area. My searches on the internet have thrown up the Outdoor Connections Escape 4 or Escape 6 and the Diamantina Waratah 4VD or their Escape Mono but I am finding it hard to actually see a real life one (I'm in Melbourne). I know nothing about the relative quality of these tents or the potential alternatives.

My objective is still to travel relatively lightly, have enough head room to stand up, perhaps use a stretcher bed in place of a mat (!) and be highly weatherproof. I normally try to use a tarp to provide a cooking/table/sitting area and only use the tent for sleeping and some storage.

I would appreciate comments on the tents I have mentioned and any suggestions for alternatives that I should consider. Whilst cost is always a consideration it is not particularly important to me - I just want a good tent!
Malcolm F

Re: Need some tent advice...

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:34 pm

G'Day Malcolm....welcome to the forum.

I am afraid you might have to wait a bit for any answers as I am sure just about everyone has gone camping this weekend.

In the meantime.....have a good look around here....there is lots of great info, wonderful stories of some great adventures the members have had over time and of course heaps of pix to see as well.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Malcolm F » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:30 pm

Well I've made a decision and bought a Diamantina Escape Duo. Bigger and heavier than I had originally planned and just possible to erect single handed!

I was impressed by the quality of the tent which I saw and purchased whilst at Melbourne LeisureFest. It is certainly substantial with its double poles. It also got a top rating in the Choice survey.

Have had a practice in the garden now need to try it in a real life situation. I think I will be going to Fraser National Park shortly....

Cheers
Malcolm F

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Congratulations on the purchase Malcolm. I am sure with practice you will find you can put it up single handed. Each time you'll find a better/easier way to achieve this.

It has been my experience that where there is a WILL there is definitely a WAY.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:57 am

It has been my experience that where there is a WILL there is definitely a WAY

Ha...or lots of arguements with the missus until you do get it mastered...lol

Did you buy a tarp to go with it ????

cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Malcolm F » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:06 pm

GypsyLady wrote:Congratulations on the purchase Malcolm. I am sure with practice you will find you can put it up single handed. Each time you'll find a better/easier way to achieve this.

It has been my experience that where there is a WILL there is definitely a WAY.

Thank you for your support. I think I will find a better way.... My difficulty on the trial pitch was just the height which made it difficult to get the enormous (!) flysheet over the ridge in some semblance of correct orientation...

Thanks again
Malcolm F

Postby Malcolm F » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:11 pm

Rosco1 wrote:Did you buy a tarp to go with it ????

Aplogies for the delayed response but I have been away - not camping I'm afraid..

I bought an Oztrail Ultramesh tarp to go under the tent and I always take a rake to clear the site!

Cheers
Malcolm F

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:19 pm

Think Rosco was referring to a tarp to go OVER your tent Malcolm.

There are those of us who always 'tarp over' the camp. Keeps it cooler in summer, warmer in winter and drier in the rain.

There is much written on it and the advantages here on the forum......you might like to do a search.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Malcolm F » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:35 am

GypsyLady wrote:Think Rosco was referring to a tarp to go OVER your tent Malcolm.

I wondered about that!

I have used a tarp over tents in the past mainly for additional waterproofing but I do find it tedious on relatively short trips to do this. My new tent, Diamantina Duo, has had very favourable reviews for its water and wind proofing so I'm hopeful that it lives up to its claims!

You can see it in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azy6Qk1cPgI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnXroZWxKTU

Cheers
Malcolm F

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:01 pm

Keeping dry is the last reason for tarping over Malcolm......keeping cool in summer and warmer in winter are the main reasons.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:38 pm

Congrats on your purchase Malcolm.....looks great.

Sorry I am a little late but we have had a camper trailer for over 3 years now and I was not familiar with those tents. We had an Oztrail Odessy before and it was HUGE but a good tent and still gets put up when the kids have friends over for a weekend.

Be interested to see how it goes. Make sure you put up a review and some pics when you have broken it in!!!

Welcome to the forum... :hello:
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Malcolm F » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:21 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:
Be interested to see how it goes. Make sure you put up a review and some pics when you have broken it in!!!

I am off to Lake Eildon National Park next week with two friends so this should be a good trial. I'll post some pictures and make some comments on my return. Thanks for the welcome to this forum....

Cheers, Malcolm
Malcolm F

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:36 am

That'd be great Malcolm....we look forward to seeing them
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:40 am

Hi Malcolm F......Sounds like your getting yourself set up....Thats great

We started off using a tarp above & under our tent and found that we were better off to use ''Shade Cloth'' under it.....
First reason was it kept the underside of the tent cleaner and secondly when it rained the water soakes straight through which meant no puddles forming under the tent. (We actually use it on the sides as well which shelters you from the wind and still gives you privacy that you can see through.

Enjoy your camping

Cheers

Rosco
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:39 pm

How was the trip Malcolm????

Hope it all went great :cheers
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to Gear Guide