Best Groundsheet/Footprint material

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Best Groundsheet/Footprint material

Postby Malcolm F » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:23 pm

I have a new dome tent which is quite large 2.4M x 4.5M and I am advised that I should use a groundsheet under it to protect the inbuilt tent floor.

The options appear to be shade cloth (which protects the grass) or a standard tarp or even just a polyethylene sheet. As the major reason appears to be the protection of the inbuilt floor from damage what would you suggest is the best option?
Cheers
Malcolm F

Re: Best Groundsheet/Footprint material

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:52 pm

I'd be reluctant to put anything under it. If it is good quality, I don't see the need. Maybe rake the area first to remove any offending stick or stones.

If you still choose to run with something do NOT use a tarp as any water will pool between the tarp and the floor of your tent. Shade cloth would be the better alternative Malcolm.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Malcolm F » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:20 pm

GypsyLady wrote:I'd be reluctant to put anything under it. If it is good quality, I don't see the need. Maybe rake the area first to remove any offending stick or stones.

If you still choose to run with something do NOT use a tarp as any water will pool between the tarp and the floor of your tent. Shade cloth would be the better alternative Malcolm.

Sorry to be so late in responding but I've been away from a computer for some time...

Where I often camp, Eildon National Park, there is very little grass and a lot of stones so I will feel better with an additional layer under the tent..

I have taken your advice regarding a standard tarp and have instead purchased an OzTrail Ultramesh which is effectively shade cloth with bound edges and eyelets.

Cheers
Malcolm F

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:16 pm

Good alternative Malcolm.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:42 pm

We always use shadecloth under the tent on our campertrailer as it drains any moisture away. We just got ours from the local hardware store off the roll.

We also have another shadecloth floor for our annexe which has stitched edges and eyelets that came with our Customline when we bought it three years ago.

How have you found the Oztrail Ultrafloor & was it very expensive Malcolm?????
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:20 am

It's Oztrail Ultramesh XB and no, it is not very expensive at all. I bought my original one when one of the local camping stores had a 25% off sale.

8 x 20 and think I paid about $40 ish for it at the time. If you are not going to spend the extra dollars and buy a CGear mat, then the Ultramesh is the next best product in my opinion....especially as it comes hemmed complete with eyelets....nothing more to do.

http://www.greatoutdoorsdirect.com.au/p ... Tarps.html

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:04 pm

Cgear multimat. Not cheap though.

I love it use it under the awning with the hannibal roof top tent or if I'm using the lower skirt on the tent I use it instead of the floor in the lower skirt area.

I've used shadecloth in the past and its good but no way near as good as a proper cgear multimat.
I would never use a tarp. will collect water and push it under your tent. its slippery when wet (we've all made water slides with one of dads tarps and a garden hose when we were younger) and it'll kill the grass underneath (and van park owners love when people kill their grass)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide