What tents do you own?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

What tents do you own?

Postby garbage » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:59 pm

I don't think this one's been asked before, so - what tents do you own and what's your favourite thing about it?
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Barby-Q » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:56 am

A two room 16 person dome tent ,Plenty of room for us 6. The thought and design that went into the tent , It dries quick, Light and compact, Quick to put up and cheap enough to replace when needed .
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby Scolers » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:22 am

We have a 9ft square Oztrail ... I use it for overnighters instead of taking the CT. Sleeps 2 very comfortably and you can stand up in it!

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:53 am

I have the oztrail 9+ great tent easy to put up, heaps of room and its really tough, I have had some bad weather in it and its great :armsup

btw mine is the same as scolers tent but with an extra 2 feet added to the length of it.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby HGMonaro » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:06 am

a purpley coloured one... so long since I used it I don't think I'd know how to put it up! Must dig out the bits and try to errect it in the back yard just in case I need to put the wife out there one night :)
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Komodo » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:26 am

I have two of the Caribee Challenge 4 tents.

They are dome tents with a large vesibule area.
Set the airbed up in the main tent and keep all our bags and stuff that cant be left under the kitchen fly in there. Works brilliantly.

Looking to get a 9ft or 9+ oztrail like the other boys for when we eventually trek into the outback a bit cause the domes get a little hot where as the canvas breathes a LOT better

Here is a pic (not brilliant but you get the idea)

Tent in the back ground going out of the pic and kitchen tarp in from of that. (just in case you couldnt work it out) I'll try get a better pic next time I go camping.
Last edited by Komodo on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mytribe » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:36 pm

We've got a spinifex small dome tent for the 14yr old.

And the other two are an Oz-Trail, and Sportiva but no idea which ones, think ones a 4 man and the other a 6 man.

This one I think, which the other half, myself, the youngest and the dog sleep.
http://www.sherryscamping.com.au/prod63.htm
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby amanda » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:42 pm

Currently a six person dome tent. Does the job, and is great for short breaks, but would like to upgrade to a canvas cabin tent for the longer trips.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Jok » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:57 pm

I've got a Southern Cross tourer

[/img]Image
and a couple of small two man tents for lighter stuff
Jok
Camping King

Postby Fonty » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:40 am

I've got a Stockman Weekender 4 man dome tent- about 80 bucks at kmart. :grin: It's fairly sturdy and will last a while I think. If all my kids decide to come at once, apart from the drama of having to fit them in the car with all our junk, it may be a bit of squeeze in it. I do have a tent-fly I used to sleep under myself though so I could take that along and sleep outside. I wouldn't think of buying something bigger unless the older kids really decided they wanted to camp with us regularly.

I think I need to buy some sturdier pegs for it though, as I posted about the Rosebud Foreshore the ground just bent the pegs I had but the stronger one I found in the sand managed it fine. Bent pegs are such a pain! lol
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Chippy76 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:56 pm

Aside from the swag ..... I have a lovely old coleman "classic" tent. Orange waterproofed canvas. Thats right Canvas! old heavy (sometimes smelly) canvas.... But I can stand up in it and there is plenty of room for our queens size airbed and still room for our gear. At a pinch our two boys can sleep in there too ... My parents had a similar one that they modified to fit onto the side of a Kombi as an annex. It requires 4 pegs and 3 poles and thats it! Its old and cumbersome looking but i love it!
Happy camping
Chippy
Chippy76
Captain Camping

Postby Otto » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:11 am

An Italian Ferrino 3 man dome tent. I never liked these dome things it was just always a bugger to put up. Now its me and the missus and two swags, and we are enjoying camping more than ever. Fast to put up, the best sleep you can have in extreme heat or wet. With that we have one of those pop up shower tents we use when there are any other people around.

What is the opinion on these touring tents? Are they really that quick to put up? How much space do they take up?
Last edited by Otto on Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otto
Camping King

Postby Scolers » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:22 am

If you're talking about the square ones that Kramer and I have then 'yes' .. they are very quick to put up. We use it in conjunction with the CT for overnight stops. If we are staying for more than 2 nights then we put up all annexes on the CT but don't worry about the tent.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:50 am

Hell yeah touring tents are the shinizle!
Really quick to set up (unless you opt for the side poles - even so still fairly quick)

Only down side to them is weight and packed size and initial cost - though that seems to be plumetting!

Over the next couple of years I anticipate I will end up with one as I think the CT has been put on hold (something about buying a house)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby reef » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:11 am

We have a Boots Citadel canvas tent its huge but we stay in one spot for at least two weeks and have 3 kids and it massive for us - but I love it cause the kids have their own room and we have ours and a big room in the middle for all our stuff and their toys. But we took out a second mortgage to buy it but it will last for years !
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Next

Return to Gear Guide