Cooking gear

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Cooking gear

Postby garbage » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:53 pm

Just wanting to get an idea of how you guys generally do your cooking when doing that camping thing. Any favourite pieces of equipment?

The wife wants to get one of those mini camping barbecues. Does anyone have any comments about the Coleman LPG Grill Stove? Here's the one I'm referring to:

garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Kramer » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:51 am

I use a 3 burner stove myself, that one looks like it only uses those strange canisters, where I would rather have something that uses LPG for ease of refilling and most probably cheaper to fill too.

I like to use the camp oven the most though its the best $25 I have ever spent on cooking gear (I even use it at home :shock: )
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Komodo » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:35 am

I have (well my girlfreind has) a 3 burner LPG coleman stove. We both have a small self sealing LPG single burnerstove each for hiking and the likes. I have a cast iron camp oven and a single burner LPG stove plus we have one of those all in one cartrige stove things too and a BBQ plate that goes on top too - works a treat!

Depends on what we do and where we are going. Generally take the three burner and one of the small self sealing units (as backup). if going for more than a couple of nights then the oven definately comes. Single burner is good when travelling a lot. We use it a lot fishing.

Also have a pair of the Dicksmith 12V stoves (was going to mod 1 to have two elements never got around to it - dont think i really need to either) Also have a pissant 12V kettle and frypan and pot. None of which work well :(. Got them for a camp where you werent allowed gas. Would advise any one to save your money. Kettle works okay(ish) but the pot and frypan arent nearly worth the $16 each. The stoves how ever work brilliantly for reheating food or cooking pies, sausage rolls etc. Will definately be taking them away with us any where we need to cook when theres a TFB
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mytribe » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:28 pm

We've got a two burner gast stove(it's an old one), plus a camp oven and BBQ plate(that DH made up) to go on the open fire.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:27 pm

We take a 2 burner stove and a bar b que plate which can fit over the 2 burners or on an open fire.
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Barby-Q » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:31 am

That would be OK for overnight and travelling light , but you would need something like a three burner for longer stays or more than two people to cook for . We take a three burner gas stove , Boiling water and cooking vegies , a gas BBQ. for Bacon and eggs for breakfast and two camp ovens and a rotisserie for open fire cooking
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby mytribe » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:52 pm

Oh I don't know about that Barby-Q, I cook for 6 of us while camping and can do most of it on the two burner, but then again I'm used to cooking things in shifts with the size of this family. :***
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby freerocketman1 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:46 pm

i take a 2 burner stove for heating up water & cooking rice etc,etc. a 2 burner bbq [great for cooking all the food at once ] & 3 camp ovens 2large ones for the roast & veges & a small 1 for the gravy [ it taste better in the camp oven than the sausepan].
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby jollyroger » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:02 pm

I don't know I'll have to ask the missus what she uses?

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Otto » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:06 am

3 Burner LPG stove with BBQ plate. My first joice is an open fire and griller, the way man was made to camp, but with fire bans it doesnt always work that way. Actually this is the first time in my life I actually camped with gas, previously all was parrafin and good ol wood.....
Otto
Camping King

Postby jonno » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:29 am

If you're still looking for a cooktop, then check out KMart's current sale on camping gear - I'm heading in there Monday to grab something.
jonno
Boy Scout

Postby jollyroger » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:07 am

Speaking of cooking gear. Have any of you stayed at a caravan park that has those electric BBQ plates made from stainless steel. Went a visited a mate yesterday who was in Tanunda with CT. We cooked dinner on the provided plates and it was a shocker. The snags exploded as soon as they touched the plate, everything else just stuck to it. Now I have come across them before in other places (Clare) they are shockers and should be banned. I know they are safer and cheaper than gas but they ruin every thing that touches them.
I think they should be banned! :booty
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Gas stoves and cylinders

Postby outtahere » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:41 pm

I have a little Primus Scamp 2 burner stove that was my nana's and I have to get a little gas bottle for it.
I have a trip planned for easter up at Bargara and its about 4 hours drive from Brisbane. My question is will a lpg gas cylinder be ok inside an air conditioned car for 4 hours during this trip. I just get a bit funny with gas!
Any help in its transportation is appreciated.
outtahere

Postby elpaulos » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:39 pm

I try for simplicity. Cans of tinned stuff goes great. Gotta have a coffee. But I,ve got a 2 burner stove and investigating a camp oven for the larger groups................
91 Landcruiser.
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:20 pm

Gas inside the car is no problem

The "gas" in the cylinder is under emience pressure to keep it as a liquid therefore it remains cool (do a bit of research regarding solid - gas - liquid).
The only thing to do is to keep the window down a little for a bit of ventilation incase the seals leak a little. Gas is heavier than air - nothing to worry about.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide