Companion LP Gas cooker

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Companion LP Gas cooker

Postby Spark Driver » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:36 pm

Hi all. I am new to this forum and my family and I are fairly new to camping.

I have a question regarding a small, two burner Companion LPG cooker I recently bought second hand.

While testing it out before the inaugral Easter break camping trip I have noticed that one of the burners lights up and burns very well but the other one struggles.

It burns with a lot of yellow flame and only about 3/4 of the jets light up. When the good burner has steady, constant flame the dodgy one is erratic and flickering.

I'm wondering if cleaning this dodgy burner would help? What would be the best way to clean it?

Any help with my first of many questions would be greatly appreciated.
Spark Driver

Postby gqpatrol » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:55 pm

Could be blocked jets. Try carby cleaner or brakleen. Don't use wire. Can get mud wasps building nests etc in the small holes. Rust can also be an issue. Good luck!
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:15 am

Take it back to the dealer and get one that works properly. Both burners should have nice blue flames.

Don't much around with it yourself, it's not worth it.

Derek

Edit: Just noticed you got it second hand. If you cant clean it take it to your local camping shop. Most of them sell jets for stoves. Get an extra one or two and keep them in your repair kit. :grin:
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Spark Driver » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:24 am

derek wrote:Take it back to the dealer and get one that works properly.

Thanks for the advice. It was a cheap, ebay, second-hand purchase so a refund or exchange is out of the question.

Though it is starting to look not so cheap when I am considering replacing the old gas line for safety's sake.

I can unscrew and remove the burner so I suppose buying a replacement wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Once again all these repairs may cost more than what I paid. Must I always do things the hard way? :$
Spark Driver

Return to Gear Guide