SNAKES while camping ??

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

SNAKES while camping ??

Postby CCC » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:15 pm

:hello:

We haven't been camping for a long while. I wasn't afraid of anything BUT NOW :shock: I am a bit freaked out by SNAKES!!!!

We usually go NSW national parks / state forests. Kids are aged 14 / 9 / 2

Has anyone come across any snakes while camping ? How do u cope ::()
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:45 pm

We just let them go on their merry way .. leave them alone and you'll be fine.

We occasionally get snakes in our home (dugites) so I guess the initial fear of our freindly serpents has been dispelled for us.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:06 pm

Snakes are more scared of you than you are of them, let them be and they won't hurt you. I have also only come across a couple while camping.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby mytribe » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:40 pm

So far we haven't come across any camping with our kids, but that could be because at the ages of 14,7,5 and 3 they're so bloody noisy they'd scare all the snakes for miles around. :***
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby CCC » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:44 pm

ok... leave them alone and/or get the kids to make heaps of noise hehe ... check.

thanx guys
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:08 pm

Remember to keep tent, van etc closed when you are away from the camp site :) . Keep food locked away or a friendly goanna can visit
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CCC » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:14 pm

ohhhh crap .... forgot about them :shock:
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:53 pm

I never even seen a snake whilst camping :cry: Will have to be less rowdy next time i think :armsup

Goanna's on the other hand, don't think I've been camping ever without seeing one, but I'm not scared of them. My biggest fear is spiders (funnel webs mostly) cause I sleep in a swag. Got bitten on my nose by an ant last time :evil: , so am a little paranoid now thinking it COULD have been a spider.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby CCC » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:13 pm

oh... spiders too ::()
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:58 pm

new campers nsw wrote:oh... spiders too ::()

:***

We're going to make you so paranoid by your next camping trip...

no one mention drop-bears, they are they WORST :armsup
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Kramer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:32 am

hahaha ozzy I was about to say that, I saw one on my last camping trip............. I think................. maybe too much rum though cause the video isn't very clear :***
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby CCC » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:01 am

hahaha :booty I heard about those drop bears after my son ( aged 10 at the time ) came back from "The Great Aussie Bush Camp" at Tea Gardens ..... :shock: as well as the notorious roadsharks and those kangawallafoxes :lol:
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:26 pm

Just found another snake today ... dugite in the swimming pool ... they are ebcoming really prolific this year in Perth ... and yet haven't seen one camping ... :shock:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:59 pm

Snakes ive never seen one camping that I recall. seen em a few times whilst fly fishing in the high country though.

Spiders man my house is COVERED in white tales. So much so that we have had two of those pest control people that normally garuntee their work for 3-6 months tell us they wont garuntee it with that many spiders!
Been bitten a few times.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Fonty » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:03 pm

I lived on a mountain near Healesville for about 18 months and over the two summers there saw about 8 snakes. Tigers, browns and one copperhead. The biggest was a tiger snake about 6 feet long, saw that on a hot day near the chook shed. IT ran from me. The copperhead was in a telstra pit and was being a bit territorial so that reared up nicely letting me know to keep my distance- which I was quite happy to. :grin:

Last year I took my kids to the Steiner Fair in Warranwood which is pretty good value and there was a snake dude there. He brought a few snakes out of his box and a crowd of about 50 people watched them squirming around in the sun while he explained how indifferent they are to us. Most can't even see us, especially when they are on the ground where they are at their fastest. When they rear up, ready to strike.. only half of their 'legs' are on the ground so they can't really chase anyone who can move away any quicker than a moderate crawling pace. They don't want to eat us so unless we accidentally step on them or deliberately start poking them or something stupid like that there's plenty of room for all of us.

The main thing to remember is not to lose your cool and panic.. if you see one at a distance enjoy the view. If you don't see it till it gets close, stand still till you see what the snake is doing or which way it's moving, then slowly move away... then enjoy the view. :) And if you have kids, call them over. Don't let them grow up scared like we have.. let them get used to being around them every chance you get. Teach them to respect the snake and keep their distance- but not to fear it. 8)

You forgot leeches, ticks and especially scorpions.. I've seen them while camping and am much more scared of them than snakes.. which is to say just a tiny bit scared. :lol:
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations