Advice on quality tents

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Advice on quality tents

Postby riley454 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:41 pm

I have had results with a Wild Country Geo6 dome tent from Rays Outdoors and have decided to upgrade to something of a higher quality that can handle the weather that this one can't(damaged by wind on its second trip & not willing to take a chance on the next).

Nearly every experienced camper laughs when you say you have a dome and they will swear by canvas. From what I can tell the best products on the market are made by Freedom(Aust/NZ made).

I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with the quality of their tent rather than a sales pitch from a retailer. Names of manufacturers, brands etc, things to be wary of and the best place to buy second-hand to keep the costs to a minimum.
riley454

Postby RichardLOZ » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:47 pm

When we bought our tent some 4 years ago, I was looking at the Freedom tents compared to the Southern Cross ones. At the time we were looking to buy a new tent, and a dome would not have been suitable for us, considering the places in the outback we were looking to travel to.

I was lucky enough to pick up in the local paper a Souther Cross 13 x 10 for around the $700.00 mark, being a considerable saving on the new price. It has been brilliant and we still have it, although recently we have upgraded to a camper trailer to make life a little easier, as we have 4 kids and a dog, which can get pretty hard to fit in the car along with all of the camping gear. Cheers
RichardLOZ

Postby nbwood » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:16 pm

Seems southern cross is the best around but heavy & bulky. dome tents are lighter & more compact the best around seems to be sportiva. Domes can offer more space inside and still not too hard to put up. The southern cross will be quick & easy but not so much space. horses for courses!
nbwood

Postby Kitch76 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:57 pm

I have had a sportiva dome for 8 trouble free years and have just upgraded to a bigger unit. most people who have problems with domes in my opinion buy cheep kmart ones.
Kitch76

Postby mllbrown » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:40 pm

We have three sprtiva/oztrail tents two 3V's and an Odeysey (16 person monster). All three are fantastic with no problems at all.
mllbrown

Postby Kitch76 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:43 pm

I wanted an odeysey but it is just huge....... So I got the next one down the domain I think.
Kitch76

Postby mllbrown » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:28 pm

Same number of poles etc... to battle with but more room for when it rains.

We find it really useful as we put our daughter (4 yrs old) in the tent with a bucket of pencils and lots of paper and don't really hear from her until she is hungry. She doesn't get attacked by ants etc.... either.

The size can be an issue, especially when camping at a place with allocated spaces but we have yet to find a place where we cannot pitch it.
mllbrown

Postby Kitch76 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:50 pm

I have a 3 year old boy and would be lucky to keep him still for 5 mins
Kitch76

Postby RXhiker » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:02 am

I have a coleman two man, wich i use for hiking, its great, light weight too.
I dont get to do enough camping!!
RXhiker

Postby KerryandWendy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:49 pm

I had used Dome tents for years until I camped at Cania Gorge with a 4wd Club one year and a huge Storm came over.

Lucky we had a cask of wine but had one foot each in the corners and our hand which was not holding the wine was holding the roof up. I can still remember the day.

The club members all had Canvas and were worried about us and rightfully so..lol.. I was so drunk and wet it did not matter if we blew away, but I vaguely remember moving the car to break the wind and tying the tent to the front and rear of the car for extra support.

The next day we bought a canvas tent and it was a pain to put up for a weekend away and went to an OZ 30 second tent which was made by Black Wolf at the time.

The 30 second tent even stood up to the winds coming across lake Jindabyne when we camped there. I still tied it off to a fence but inside felt safe and secure. The winds were rumoured to be 80klms per hour or faster.

To pack the tent up, every item had to tied to the Jeep and folded mid air. Nothing could be left on the ground for a second, not even the esky or it was swept away..lol.. go canvass or it is a lottery, one day you may get caught in a real storm and nowhere to get shelter.
Have tent will Travel
KerryandWendy
Boy Scout

Postby Goody » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:21 pm

I have used cavass tents with the army for 20 odd years, always found them hot and smelly. For the last 5 my family have used a Sportiva Oddissey dome tent and we have been through some pretty crap weather with that too. I find the dome tent airy, cool and light and easy to erect. The built in floor and good fly screens and zips keep out water and bugs and it has the option of opening right up on clear nights with just a screen mesh over top, its like a big mozzie net, very nice and cool.
If properly erected and banged in with proper pegs, this dome aint going nowhere, wine cask, full esky or not. :lol:
I must admit though that I am son to upgrade to a caravan and I am sure lookng forward to that!!
Good Camping all
Goody
Goody

Postby KerryandWendy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:44 pm

Yes Goody. But the 30 second Tents smell great. I have thought of a caravan and yes if I were you I would be looking forward to it. You cant camp in a caravan where you can with a tent.

You cant even get a Caravan to where we have camped in a tent. In saying that , once you have done it all in a tent you can kick back with all the conveniences of a caravan.

Our dome tent did not blow away, it imploded, the whole structure just folded down onto us with the wind and storm. If it were tin we would have been foil wrapped.

I have read a few good reports on dome tents, but I would say they dont go camping for 6 months at a time in all weather condition from Birdsville in summer to The Alpine Region in Winter and have been really lucky and never been in a real storm.

The storm might just consist of heavy rain, but inside the dome tent if you get wind it will seem like a big storm but it is really just a puff. Sportiva gets the best write ups, but after camping in real sturdy tents in real bad weather, you will never go back to a dome tent.

Most do not camp much or are fine weather campers, maybe just plain lucky. I had been in Thunder Storms in a dome tent, but thats what I call a puff, not a real storm.
Have tent will Travel
KerryandWendy
Boy Scout

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:08 am

Hi Kerry and Wendy,
Yes I must agree, I am no longer a gung ho hiking,go further up that hill and camp in the most unfrequented place on earth type guy anymore. I did all that stuff for years and got paid for it. Now with family in tow (all girls) we must have porcelin to I like on and somewhere for the hair dryer to plug into, so I am now a caravan park dude. But its good to kick back in them, have a nice cold frothy, and relax.
My hiking days are over and its now time to take it easy. However finding a good caravan at the right price that will suit us is bloody hard. I wont(cant) buy brand new, so I'm looking for a diamond in 50 ton of peanut butter so to speak. Caravans are wierd, if you wanted to buy a 1985-95 Commodore you could expect to pay between $2000-7000, but for a van you'll pay between $8000-15000 and they will still be rough.
Any I'm off, got to check the classifieds
Goody
Site Admin

Return to Camping Tips and Locations