Gas powered fridges/freezers

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Gas powered fridges/freezers

Postby garbage » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:54 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with gas powered fridges/freezers? Do they work well? How long would a 9kg gas bottle last based on average use / summer temps / ~40L / fridge mode? Any brand recommendations also appreciated!

Thanks,

garbage
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Scolers » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:05 pm

Firstly, a 3 way (gas) fridge is good if you want things to remain cool. Forget it if you want to freeze food. As a rule of thumb, they will keep food cool 25 degrees below ambient (35 degree outside ... 10 degrees in your fridge).

A 9kg gas bottle should keep the fridge going for 4 weeks CONTINUAL use ... possibley a bit more it all depends on the fridge you get and its specs.

FYI

I was going to get one but decided against it due to the fact that it won't freeze food. A lot of caravan owners that I have met have a WAECO or engle as well as their own caravan gas operated fridge becuase it wont keep food frozen.

Another issue to be aware of is that when you are running the fridge in the car (12v) it will draw ALOT of current and could send you ciggy lighter wiring on the fritz. Not sure why this happens but apprently it happens a lot with the 3 way fridges. I ahve a 6mm inline wire going to one of my ciggy lighters so anything using a lot of power won't fritz the rest of the system.

If you are still intent on getting a 3 way have a look at Chescold or the latest WAECO 3 way. We will get one eventually but just more as a back up.

Good luck!

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby garbage » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:29 pm

Hi Scolers,

Thanks for the reply! I'm usually on the move mostly, so it looks like the 3 way option might be a no-go given the problems it has on 12v.

Cheers,

garbage
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:32 pm

get a 12/24V fridge and a decent deep cycle battery and be done with it.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:35 pm

Yeah I thin if you are moving from one palce to another you are better off with a 12/240v unit. A gas is great if you are in one spot but if you travel between campsites on a daily basis I'd say the 12/240v is the better unit to go for.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Jok » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:36 pm

I've got a Chescold 3-way fridge/freezer, great fridge.
It will freeze on all power sources including twelve volt. I run three wires to supply 12 volts so it gets plenty of juice- you do have to be wary of killing the battery, I only run it when the vehicle is running.
On gas I use a 3 kilo bottle, good for a week depending on temp, use, etc
and how high/low the setting- I usually have to turn it down on gas as
it starts to freeze stuff.
This fridge is a 39 litre I think, also about 20 years old- just pulled it
out of the wagon tonight to fix the tin casing, the only other thing I've
repaired is the 12 volt plug- I rewired my own set-up with a switch on it.
Jok
Jok
Camping King

Postby Komodo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:33 am

Gas fridges will freeze if used "by the book"

However I want a fridge/freezer I can use like my fridge freezer at home - gas will not do this. The biggest issue gas / 3wat fridges have is that they are a compromise on two technologies. They aren't proper electric and the theory behind gas relies on some pretty specific attributes of its use and installation.

Personally these days with good quality dual battery isolators from the likes of ARB and RedArc and the availablity of good quality and high RC batteries and high output alternators requiring less time to charge batteries I dont think that there really is much that would pursuade me to get 3 way other than price
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jok » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:02 pm

Got me curious, what's by the book-never seen instructions
about the fridge apart from keeping it level and airflow? :grin:
Jok
Camping King

Postby Komodo » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:55 am

Level
good airflow
out of sun
opened rarely for as short a possible time (some of the really early ones even were recomended only to be opened a maximum of 4 times a day!)
all items to be reduced to fridge temp before being put in to the fridge.
Some fridges are designed only to make ice and ice packs last longer they actually arent a fridge at all rather a glorified "ice chest"

Unfortunately the biggest one people stuff up is keeping them out of the sunlight, keeping them level and giving them addiquate ventilation. they are pretty finnicky devices because of they way they opperate
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jok » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:09 pm

I always try to have mine level when stopped o'night, it gets an airflow
although limited, and lives in the back of the wagon.
I've never worried about cooling stuff before 'fridgeing' it
and open it quite often(mainly used as beer fridge at times)
Maybe because mine is a fridge/freezer it works better?
The insulation in it is excellent, I could have it unplugged(and unopened)
for 8 hours in the back of the wagon in Perth(while working) and pull
out a cold beer in 30 degree days. It would be pretty hot in the wagon,
but I have dark tint and perforated foam at the windows-almost
impossible to see in from outside during day.
[img][img]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n41/99GU/Bush6.jpg[/img][/img]
Maybe I just got a good one!! :lol:
Jok
Camping King

Postby Scolers » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:46 pm

Jok wrote:Maybe I just got a good one!! :lol:

I just realised you're from Vic. Not too many ppl buy the gas fridges (3way) out this way for the reasons I've stated above (25 degrees below ambient being the main one). Can you enlighten us as to the specs of the Cehscold? I know the WAECO 3 way wont freeze anything once the temp is 23-25 degrees plus ... W.A. can be hot even in winter ... so I'd be interested to know what the chescold is like on a hot day ... ok ... I'm speaking to a Vcitorian here ... a VERY hot day ... ;) ... say 30 degrees plus.

Cheers!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Jok » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:58 pm

Scolers wrote:
Jok wrote:Maybe I just got a good one!! :lol:

I just realised you're from Vic. Not too many ppl buy the gas fridges (3way) out this way for the reasons I've stated above (25 degrees below ambient being the main one). Can you enlighten us as to the specs of the Cehscold? I know the WAECO 3 way wont freeze anything once the temp is 23-25 degrees plus ... W.A. can be hot even in winter ... so I'd be interested to know what the chescold is like on a hot day ... ok ... I'm speaking to a Vcitorian here ... a VERY hot day ... ;) ... say 30 degrees plus.

Cheers!

Scol.

Tried and proven(to me)
The insulation in it is excellent, I could have it unplugged(and unopened)
for 8 hours in the back of the wagon in Perth(while working) and pull
out a cold beer in 30 degree days.
Used it in the wagon while travelling around Oz, 2 1/2 months in Darwin,
6 months in WA, 6 months in Cairns, lotsa palces in between.
All up about twenty months travelling, fridge never missed a beat.
Travelling across the top sometimes I would turn the fridge on while
driving-Kunnara,Fitzroy River etc(12 Volt)38 degrees in the water bag, otherwise just plug it in to 240 of a night if at a park, or run gas if out bush.
I don't know any specs other than it uses Dagnabbit's of power on 12V,
and is best kept level to work properly. Had it for about twenty years
so info book is long gone sorry. Capacity is about 39 litres.
In the pic above you can see tha gas cord-orange, and at the bottom of the towbar, right hand corner is a 240 plug wired in so the fridge never got moved from where it was. When I ran gas I just hooked a bottle up
either 4kilo and sat the bottle on the drawers, or 9 kilo, sat the bottle on the ground. I would close the left door, then the right so there would be about a 6inch gap around that door, and wound the two front windoes down a couple of inches for a draught.
I don't know where the 25 degrees below ambient comes in as mine is a fridge/freezer, not just a fridge.
Have a cousin who has one, he has to pick it up and shake it every so often to get it to work properly, I just take mine four wheel driving :lol:
Jok
Camping King

Postby Scolers » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:10 am

Jok wrote:
Tried and proven(to me)

I don't know any specs other than it uses Dagnabbit's of power on 12V,

Yup ... been told that hence my 6mm wire direct from battery (with inline fuse!)

I don't know where the 25 degrees below ambient comes in as mine is a fridge/freezer, not just a fridge.
Have a cousin who has one, he has to pick it up and shake it every so often to get it to work properly, I just take mine four wheel driving :lol:

Not sure with teh chescold fridge but it's definately in the WAECO 3 way specs. Might have a squizz online and see if I can find what the chescold specs are ... I know the Chescold is the best in 3 way fridges so maybe it is better than 25 degrees below ambient.

Cheers!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to Gear Guide