Fridges... Again - only different!

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Fridges... Again - only different!

Postby Komodo » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:56 pm

Guys,
As some of you are aware I bought a Waeco CF80 last year.
This fridge is MASSIVE! which is great for camping! keeps every thing exceptionally cold (fridge section) and frozen (freezer section) and runs extreemly efficiently off the auxillary battery (100Ah) lasting nearly a week without recharging!

But its a little TOO big for keeping in the back of a 4x4 full time. As such ive been looking to get a 40(ish) litre fridge. Ive looked at both Engel and Waeco but thats not my delima.

My delima is up right or chest type fridge. I know chest type is FAR more efficient and stores far more than an upright. BUT ease of use sways towards an upright in the back of a 4x4 rather than going to the trouble of putting a chest type on a fridge on a fridge slide etc etc. Plus kel being a short a$s (and my self not exactly up their in height) makes it a PITA to look into and rummage through a chest type on a slide in a 4x4 with a 3-4" lift

So. Has any one used an upright installed in a 4x4? did you have issues with sh!t falling out while 4x4ing? or when opening the door after 4x4ing?

Cheers,
Kirk
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby garbage » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:02 pm

Hi Kirk,

I've been thinking about upright fridges as well so I'd be interested in the replies.

You mentioned that you get almost a week's use on the 100Ah battery - what sort of conditions do you use this in (internal/external temperatures, insulation, frequency of fridge opening, etc)?

garbage.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:11 pm

Sorry garbage thats 100Ah @ 24V so basically 200Ah @ 12V

Temps around mid 20's and as for inside temp no idea - cold enough to keep icecream frozen LOL

opened generally 4 times at lunch and 6 times at dinner for ~30secs at a time.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:08 pm

Hmm I have never used an upright car fridge, I would think they are extremely inefficient as cold air sinks and would all come flowing out whenever you open the door let alone the food or drinks that would fall out (busting a beer can is an offence punishable by death!). I would think about making a small step to pull out whenever you really need to get into the fridge.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Jok » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:21 pm

Would a fridge slide that tilts at fully open be any help, I have seen these
advertised somewhere.
Jok
Jok
Camping King

Postby Komodo@home » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:48 pm

Seen those fridge slides that tilt - but id rather avoid having to slide it at all to be honest.

Kramer I am a strong believer that any damage to beer is payable only with death!
I am looking at the step option - but the plan to have dual tyre carrier on the the back puts me off that idea.

Ive looked at a couple of uprights and they mostly seem to have shelves with a 1-2" lip on them to stop things falling out. As for the efficiency - thats why i have the chest type as well :P the upright would be used solely as a "car fridge" and would be used for road sides and general day to day use. The Chest type would be used as camp Fridge/Freezer (been looking at some possible mods for the CF80 too ;) )
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Cruzin » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:36 pm

Maybe you could make a step that fits into the HR type tow ball receiver.
I've seen similar advertised (I think for range rover) that fit in the receiver but are in a Z section so that the step is actually lower to the ground.
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Return to Gear Guide