Where is every one?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Postby Komodo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:45 pm

found a 4.2 manual turbo - but they want $40k for it an i only have 30-35 to play with :(
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:50 pm

Year? Any fruit?

BTW ... mate has a 4.2ltr turbo .. he likes it but reckons the fuel economy is crap. Around 15ltr/100k's and thats hwy cycle ... towing is close, if not over, 20ltrs/100k's.

Cheers ....

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:17 pm

Interesting RE: the economy
I have been thinking about risking it and going the 3.0ltr because they are cheaper by nearly $10k theres millions of them and they are far more economical. Does the reliability of the 4.2 out weigh the risks and economy of the 3.0?

its an '01 Manual ST 4.2TD Wagon
Imaculate - brand new showroom condition! :?
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:50 pm

If your looking for economy don't look at the larger vehicles, my 100 series returns 16.5L/100k empty ::() non turbo as well, I would be very wary 3L Patrols do a search on google about problems with them, if not buy one and when it dies drop a V8 diesel into it :armsup . I am thinking of doing a conversion to mine next year they have to be better on fuel than the old 1HZ.

Found one :) http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewtopic.php?t=103043 not bad for the price :armsup
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:31 pm

Kramer wrote:If your looking for economy don't look at the larger vehicles, my 100 series returns 16.5L/100k empty ::() non turbo as well, I would be very wary 3L Patrols do a search on google about problems with them, if not buy one and when it dies drop a V8 diesel into it :armsup . I am thinking of doing a conversion to mine next year they have to be better on fuel than the old 1HZ.

Found one :) http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewtopic.php?t=103043 not bad for the price :armsup

As Kramer says do your research and you'll find when Nissan fixed the stuff up in their 3 ltr deisels. I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess but I'll chat to a mate who's a nissan patrol freak.

I beleive the 3ltr turbo get's around the 10-11ltr/ 100km mark... much better than the 4.2!

Good luck!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:53 pm

Hrmm

I have actually seen that 4.2 that the link goes to. Wondering if it is worth flying up there to have a look or not. For that kind of money I could afford to spend 5k on it getting it upto scratch.

As for the fix on the 3ltr some say it works some say it doesnt - essentially its supposed to be just a new set of marks on the dipstick and more oil!

Aww this is getting confusing!
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:07 pm

Just take your time ... that's the trick ... I now it's hard but you'll get one if you are prepared to wait a month or two.

Good luck!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:15 pm

Yeah. Just been discussing with dad (who is also the boss so realistically its down to his decision in the end) RE: 3ltr Vs 4.2 Both have their pros and cons.
Then we have thrown another spanner in there and the possiblity for a brand new nissan navara. Seems funny after having had 4 Landcruisers we are both Nissan boys at heart LOL

Im going down to the two 4x4 stores near me tomorrow to discuss with the guys the Pros and Cons of the series III and IV 3ltr and the 4.2ltr in general
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:39 pm

From memory those Navara's get good fuel economy ... you also have the ute so should fit all your toys in Z(ok ... most of them).

I bought a 720King Cab many years ago and loved it. For a petrol motor it got around 10ltr/100k's. Very good and better than the Toyota utes of the day.

I was also about your age then ... :booty ... and reckon a ute is great for the 20+ y/o without a family.

Me, I just like the LWB fourbies ... :+

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:49 pm

Get a 3.0 pootrol cheap and spend the leftovers dropping a chev in there :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Kramer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:25 am

Ozzycamperboy wrote:Get a 3.0 pootrol cheap and spend the leftovers dropping a chev in there :mrgreen:

SHHHHHHHHHHH no-one look on ebay........................... Don't otherwise I will................. HAHAHA I am looking at one on ebay at the moment only 3k :armsup would be a nice motor for the cruiser, pity I don't think I could stretch the funds far enough especially when the shed I am putting up out the back will cost me nearly 4k.

I can't comment on the Navara's as I haven't dealt with them at all, if your looking for a wagon maybe a Prado will be better I know they go very well.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Komodo » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:05 am

Ozzy Id get a 2.8 or a petrol if I was doing a V8 conversion.
Heard mixed reports on the V8 conversion too. Some love em. Some hate em. One thing that does put me off em is that they arent particularly common so if something does go wrong in "fuc|<knowswhere" then getting it going or getting parts could be a little difficult. Rather something common that ever second bush bunny knows about.

The Navara is an idea. And I do love having a ute (used to have a V6 petrol navara as a company car and our foreman has an '06 Navara ST-R Diesel which is a nice car to drive. Little more agricultural than a Patrol but then the Patrol is more ag than the 'Cruiser - but I think the Patrol is a nice compromise.

Plus the plan is to lease the Patrol (CHP) for 2-3 years with no balloon as a company car then me to personally buy it off the company for what ever is offered as a trade in and keep it as a weekender. Then for me to get something either a little more family orrientated or sporty (depending on the situation Kel and I are in) as a company car.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jok » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:32 pm

My 4.2 gets about 14l per 100 ks weighing almost 3t, it averaged
about 20 per 100 when fully loaded(don't ask that weight) with about
2 1/4 t of van behind, towing about 90kph in fourth gear(about 2600 revs
I think) 5th is 2200 revs. Power is down as well as economy compared
to 3l, but wagon has done 250,000 so far, still running sweet.
Have heard so many hand grenade stories of 3l but who knows the
truth of it all(similar to 100 series front diffs).
A good link is http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/
Jok
Jok
Camping King

Postby Komodo@home » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:53 pm

14ltr - 100k's isnt too bad when you really think about it hrmmm. Going for a drive in a 3ltr on sat morning - dealer is a mate of dads so I've got it for a couple of hours (as thats all the time I can spare as i have to go judge a sound quality competition that day too) So i guess saturday will be a big tester for me
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Fonty » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:52 am

I've got a 4 cylinder Ford Laser, '87 model.

Only 2WD but easy to push. :lol:
Fonty
Camping Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat