A nice sunday drive...

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

A nice sunday drive...

Postby Komodo » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:24 am

Well yesterday the fun police (aka Kel, my better half) and I headed off to gippsland to scope out a bit of an out the way camp site for the easter break as we are not really familliar with the area.

So we cruised down the free way for little over an hour till we hit the Moe turn off and we headed up towards walhalla (sp?) any way we turnede off onto a track that I remembered camping down quite a few years ago. We found the camp site and had a look around saw some lyrebirds and checked out the river and what not. Then we decided to keep heading along the track we came in on rather than turning back. Well an hour and a half and 50odd k's later we came out on the road to baw baw (just after tanjil bren).

It was a bit of a rough track for the VY commodore at times but over all it was a VERY interesting and inspiring little drive. We saw where the bush fires had come through. most areas have started regenerating really well but we went through one area that was like a desert all there was was burnt out hollows of trees and a huge slope it was almost depressing to see. Unfortunately we didnt think till too late to get some photos but its something that will remain in my memory for a while.
It really brings home the reality of how much and how quickly the scenery of this country can change and the type of challenges our CFA crews faced when fighting the fires though that land.

But then we got upto the alpine resort area of mount baw baw and holy crap was it cold! but so beautiful to look out over the mountain into the valleys we'd just come up from to see where the fires had gone through and the areas totally untouched.

Any way that was my sunday quick drive that turned into 6 hours and 330klms!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:44 pm

My kind of a day out to. I often head up into the Snowy Mountains in Kosciuszko National Park to for a drive around. Can do up to 4 - 5600 klm in a full day.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Scolers » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:21 pm

derek wrote: Can do up to 4 - 5600 klm in a full day.

Derek

Yoy must be flying to get those sort of k's in ... :?#

;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:24 pm

Scolers wrote:

Derek

;)

Scol.

I spilt maple syrup on my keyboard and the 5 and 6 get caught so that should have been 500. I just gotta fix it soon. Tried licking it off but didtnt work. :*** :***
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:27 pm

Scolers wrote:

Derek

;)

Scol.

I spilt maple syrup on my keyboard and the 5 and 6 get caught so that should have been 500. I just gotta fix it soon. Tried licking it off but didtnt work. :*** :***
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:30 pm

Now the messages are sticking together :( :( :(
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Komodo@home » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:22 pm

LOL :***
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:44 pm

Shame you didn't get any photos. Sounds like you had a great day. Hope you found the spot to camp that you were looking for. :+
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jok » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:47 pm

Was up that way the last long w/e, drove down from Woods Point
thru Aberfeldy and alongside the Thompson. The size of the fire breaks
cut into tracks was amazing, you could see where they had stopped
the fire or back burned, then to get in closer to the dam the devastation
out to the left! Black stumps or tree remains everywhere, with the tracks
standing out on the ridges with no vegetation to hide them.
and the lack of water in the dam!!!
Which track did you head up Komodo?

Jok
Jok
Camping King

Postby Komodo@home » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:56 pm

Not sure what the original track we hopes onto from the erica-moe road but we ended up on and following the tanjil bren road / track

We did it in the commodore but i wouldnt advise going down there in anything lighter than a soft roader the poor old commodore certainly copped a beating - lucky its a company car :| as i wouldnt want to take my "pride and joy" down there thats for sure!

Dads taking his rangie up there - give the '04 range rover hse its first taste of off road. Dont think the previous owner did anything with it but cart equestrian horses with it :P
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby mytribe » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:00 pm

We went up to Erica and Whalhalla over the long weekend, didn't go for any drives really to see much devestation the fires left, due to the person we were staying with making plans for the whole weekend but we'd like to take the kids up over easter to show them, what's left after a fire's ripped through.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:50 am

It's very interesting to see. Mum and dad have been living in upper beaconsfield since before ash wednesday 1983 so I have an interest because of their stories and from the photos but its very different to see the devistation & regeneration first hand.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to General Chit-Chat