Organising your "kitchen"

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Organising your "kitchen"

Postby mummeee74 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:55 pm

OK just went away for the weekend and hubby and I seem to have "differing opinions" on organising the food prep, storage and cooking area in the tent.
Just wondering how everyone else sets things up? We have to be pretty careful about having kettles/frypans in reach of little fingers which makes it all a little more challenging but I would love to hear some suggestions.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby CCC » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:09 pm

I thought I would bump this up as I have an interest in the ideas too

I would also like to know what methods people prefer to use ??
ie:
do they prefer wood campfire cookery or gas stove/ burner cookery ?

I usually cook on a campfire and use the back of the ute with a bench top piece for food prep, storage and washing up. The esky's and bigger storage crates and under the tailgate. We also have used a gas ring and hotplate on the back of the tailgate too when the wood had gotten wet :?

I am sorry I have no idea about keeping little fingers away ... I havent taken mine away with us yet
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mytribe » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:40 pm

We use a home made BBQ plate over the campfire for most of the cooking, or the camp oven and then we used to have the two burner gas stove set up on the back of the trailer.

We use a 6x4 trailer with cage on it to cart all our stuff camping, so once everythings out the cooking was set up there. Then I've got a fold up table to prepare the food on.

Since our last "bush" trip though we now have one of those fold up kitchens and one of those cheap fold up tables with the chairs attached for the kids to sit at, so the gas stove will go on the new kitchen.

Not sure whether it's just my kids or not but I've never had to overly stress about them going near hot cooking implements, they just don't seem to.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Kramer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:30 am

I am thinking of buying one of those camp kitchens, I have a 4 foot table and another thats about 2 foot square but we always seem to run out of room, can anyone who has used one comment on what they are like?
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Barby-Q » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:50 am

We use two 1.8 mtr trestle tables.
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:04 pm

Ok no wonder I am going nuts, I have an area the size of a chopping board, need to get an extra table or something. Trestle tables are a great idea.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Kramer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:49 pm

I have one 4 foot trestle (plastic) table good size cause i can still fit it in the car when needed, the 6ft is a little long. I am always after more bench space when camping I bet I could have a huge kitchen set up and still not be happy.

Maybe I should just clean up all the empty beer cans before I try and cook.
Kramer

Postby Barby-Q » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:16 am

On one of our trestle tables I glued a square of laminate to the timber top, Its great for a floured board for kneading . These tables are $49. at Bunnings , they also fit in our 6 x 4 trailer .
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby Komodo@home » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:36 pm

I'll get photos of my kitchen

Got more space than the average 2 bedroom unit :P
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:57 am

We set our kitchen up in a screen house, so have a tonne of space. We take a 6ft trestle table, sink stand, 2 burner stove on stand, and have all our pots, pans crockery etc stacked in plastic tubs and stored under the trsetle, along with the eskies.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby CCC » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:30 pm

mummeee74 wrote:Ok no wonder I am going nuts, I have an area the size of a chopping board, need to get an extra table or something. Trestle tables are a great idea.

OMG, that is a small space ...

we are now on the look out for a camp kitchen and gas stove thing.
Anyone got any ideas on styles to look out for and the pros and cons etc ? would be very much appreciated :grin:

pics of peoples kitchen set up would be great for ideas too :armsup
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:27 pm

There is as many set ups as there are campers. A gas stove provides quick heat and is portable. Open fires depend on place and fire restrictions, firewood etc. Camping stores carry the whole range. Go have a look at somewhere like BCF. Most campers have options. We also look to use camp kitchens or barbcues where they are available :)
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jeeps » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:33 am

I have a Drifta, a very well made product. It is a little pricey but there is no more cooking stress while camping. There is space for everything and i am actually having trouble on some trips to find stuff to fill all the space. It folds down compact for travelling in the trailor and it is only a minute or two to pull out of the trailor and have self standing. It's got a slide out sink, a water tap, built to suit my dual fuel stove, it has heaps of storage including 3 drawers and it's laminated. Here is a picture of a recent trip with it resting on the end of the trailor right after i've done the dishes one night:

We still take a 6ft table and stool. It is so much nicer to have a seperate eating area ready to go. I was tired of having to first prep, then cook, then eat, then clean, all on the one folding table - it took forever. I have never really appreciated the cooking side of camping until i started using this kitchen. And you don't know how much time you can save by using something like this. Here's a pic:

I highly recommend on if the budget stretches :)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby CCC » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:56 am

geeeez thats a full kitchen out in the open.... thats my kind of camp kitchen hehe

looks like it would make your camping trips very comfortable.
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:53 am

WOW talk about taking everything including the kitchen sink, where do you keep the espresso machine? must be packed in the trailer? :*** I would love a kitchen that size but it would be a little over kill for only 2 people I suppose.
Kramer

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations