Fridges, Eskies, Coolers & Ice cream!!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby Kramer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:46 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:
new campers nsw wrote:ice box = esky ? :oops:

or are there different names for the plastic ones to the metal ones ?

can hear it now ...... :--?

Ice boxes are just better more efficient and expensive versions of eskies. They are designed to keep ice frozen for a number of days, whereas in a Esky ice will usually melt after one day.

Why don't we just start calling them chilly bins and I am sure I left my jangols here somewhere bro :--?
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

jandles

Postby gqpatrol » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:44 pm

Jandles I'm sure that's what they are.
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:53 pm

Hrmmm Fridges

Well I'm looking to sell my CF80 - It works excellently!

BUT

Its a little TOO big to leave in the back of the car all the time. So im looking to get a 40ltr and a 32ltr (or if funds allow a 50ltr and a 32ltr) engel. The smaller one to remain in the car full time and the bigger one for trips away. that way i can use the smaller one as a freezer for trips away and the bigger one can be the "main fridge"

I want to try the Engels as they have a better name than the Waecos (that said i never had a problem with mine) and they are all metal.

One small problem i have with mine is that the previous owner must have sat something heavy on the top as the lid is slightly warped - this has caused one of the latches too break. The other issue is that it does draw a LOT of juice and gets very cranky if the juice isnt upto it because it has a low voltage cut out.
The engels on the other hand dont have a low voltage cut out, and can drain a battery to below 10V without being noticed. I guess that could be more of an issue realistically - especially for those of us who dont have dual battery setups.

Would I have another Waeco - Yes
Do I think they are a good fridge - Yes
Value for money Waeco Vs Engel - Waeco
Suited to the average australian camping family - Waeco
Better suited to harsh/rough long term outback conditions - Engel

I wish to do some pretty serious touring of Oz in the next few years thus im leaning towards an Engel. That could change though. Gotta do some price comparisons and look at having the Waeco "modded"

Oh one bitch I do have with the Waeco - with the dividers in place the Waeco DOESNT get cold enough on the fridge side It could have benefitted from a mod that Ive seen and read about on Exploroz which is cutting a hole in the bottom divider (some of the guys have even gone to the extent of fitting a fan to this as well) or else if they had ran a few of the cooling tubes,say a 1/4 or 1/3 of the number present in the freezer side down either side of the fridge section it would have been much better.

Apparently the EvaKool has cooling tubes in both sides...
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby VADLEM » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:11 am

We have an evakool 60lt which is great but I made our ice box from 3 inch freezer/coldroom wall... if you look close it's the big box on the front of the trailer... I put three 6day slabs of dry ice in the bottom wraped in canvas and then the ice works will put a layer of normal ice over the top.
The last trip we did to fraser, we were there for nearly two weeks and when we got back there was still a frozen chook and lamb roast oh and some beers :x in the bottom... It's a bit dear to do but there's no moving parts... well thats my two bobbs worth... we do have a beer fridge and a gennie though for shorter trips... just relavent to what you do and where you go..
DAVE & MEL + 3.6 KIDSImage
VADLEM
Boy Scout

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations