NEW AUSTRALIAN CAST IRON CAMP OVENS

List your stuff for sale or wanted here. Outdoor furniture, home, gardening, clothing, anything really except motor vehicles or real estate as that is catered for below. Post or sell offer here for free. (Add you suburb, buy or sell and item to heading we will organise letter).

NEW AUSTRALIAN CAST IRON CAMP OVENS

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:16 pm

Hi

I am currently in consultation with an Australian Foundry with the view to having some cast iron camp ovens made. The standard size I am looking at would be possibly 12 inch wide by 6 inch deep. The lid will most likely have BULLOCK and AUSTRALIA cast into it. To my knowledge there is no-one else making cast iron ovens in Australia.

Should this size prove worthwhile I may consider a 15 inch model.

They will be individually cast and not mass produced like the current Chinese models you find at your local store and only be available through the internet on my website or eBay.

I am wondering, if I go ahead with this project what sort of interest there might be out there.

I would be interested in your thoughts.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

to Derek..re campovens

Postby danielle193 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:11 pm

:D Hi Derek good for you !! get your pricing right and you will be on a winner wish i had one now,i am heading off to tassie soo,n and one nice new oven would be great...danielle193
Danielle the Tassie Travellerfrom sunny qld.
danielle193

Camp ovens

Postby lollylegs71 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:13 pm

How much do you think they will retail for? We haven't got one yet, but I would be interested in buying one in the future perhaps.
Depends how many places we could go to that we would be able to use it as we like to camp in places with amenities too.
lollylegs71

Camp ovens part 2!

Postby lollylegs71 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:15 pm

By that I meant that usually you can't have a campfire at those places!! Anyone recommend places in NSW where you can get the best of both worlds please let me know!
lollylegs71

Re: Camp ovens part 2!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:52 pm

lollylegs71 wrote:By that I meant that usually you can't have a campfire at those places!! Anyone recommend places in NSW where you can get the best of both worlds please let me know!

By ammenities do you mean toilets and showers or just toilets? Alot of national parks and state forests have toilets but i'm yet to find one with a shower.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Amenities and kids

Postby lollylegs71 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:40 pm

We went to Bundanoon (near Bowral, Kangaroo Valley etc), stayed in the National Park, and there were toilets and showers to use. Great for kids. No campfires allowed however.
lollylegs71

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:45 am

Hi all

Have had a number of queries from here. Just to let you all know that this is still proceeding.

Lot's of enquiries on price. Still unsure on production costs at this stage but should know soon.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Scolers » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:23 am

I've posted a link from OutdoorsWA to this thread Derek. Some of the blokes are interested and may ahve some queries or just browse your web page.

:)

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:18 pm

Derek how'd you go with this?

are the Furphy ovens not made in wang' any more?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby freerocketman1 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:50 pm

derek when you work out a price let us know i have a brother in w.a who is up high in the scouts & im sure he would be interested in more than 1. so would i. :grin:
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:34 pm

Hi folks

This all actually fell in a heap due to a bit of work pressure and being a bit busy. I will resurrect it though and see what we can do.

Komodo, the Furphy Camp Ovens have been made in China for about six years. To my knowledge Billmans is the only foundry in Australia still manufacturing cast iron ovens in Auistralia and they only do special orders. They are not the one I have been dealing with.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Komodo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:05 pm

Fair enough.

Id be interested. My camp oven is plain cast iron with 3 legs - no "signature" cast on it at all. Im assuming it came from thomas mitchel or the likes.

But i would really like to get a better one and an australian made one would (naturally) be awesome! :+

It would actually be good to generate a list of "Made in Australia" products. I try to support buying australian as much as possible but its some times very hard due to lack of knowing whats AU made and whats not :(
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Buy & Sell