Water tank plumbing

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Water tank plumbing

Postby ant » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:41 pm

I will pick up my new trailer on Monday. It has a 60lt tank. Any clues on the best way to conect the plumbing? I am going to install one external tap and one on the Drifta kitchen. These are manual pump type fittings, should I hook up a 12volt pump? or not?
Should I go brass connectors or Nylex fitting? I was thinking I would quick connect the kitchen as it swings with the tailgate also I could drop to a water drum if tank is empty

Open to any suggestions to help fit up and also the position of the external tap, I thought behind the rear mud guard:?
ant

Postby Komodo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:38 am

12V pumps are nice to have but far from a necessity. Most (if not all) of the modern hand pump faucets (sp?) have good pressure and flow. Plus your less likely to waste it like you are with pressurised water.

I would go the nylex type fittings. They are cheap readily available and extreemly versatile. Behind the rear mud gard sounds like a plan out of the way and shouldnt get knocked.

Post up pics when youve finished - im interested to see :D
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby ant » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:07 pm

Komodo
Jobs done. Used Nylex fittings, worm drive hose clamps and barbed joiners from the garden section (any excuse to go to a hardware store).
Did get caught out though. When I went to show off my fine work both pumps worked when connected but when it was all packed away the external pump didn't. Quick diagnostic showed that even though I used a one way joiner the external pump was able to suck air into the system through the one way valve. Suppose one way really means one way. Simple fix installed an in line stop valve.
Perfect result.
Will post pics after Easter break :bunny
ant

Postby Komodo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:49 pm

Cheers Ant

Im very interested - looking to fit a water tank to the 'trol so your advice and pics will be appreciated!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide