Lighting - Gas, Dual Fuel or Fluoro?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Lighting - Gas, Dual Fuel or Fluoro?

Postby Jeeps » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:27 pm

Which do you prefer?

I usually take 1 gas light, 2 dual fuel lanterns and one rechargable fluoro (for the tent). I love the dual fuels because they are cheap to run and portable and seem to attract less bugs plus i love to play with them. I use the gas light because i take a 4.5kg bottle for my gas ring/camp oven setup and it's practical to use above the kitchen on a pole. I take the rechargable retro coleman fluoro because it's very bright and it's safe to use in the tent and it goes forever but it seems to attract a lot of bugs outside though. I also take some LED headlamps & a maglight but only use them occasionally.

cheers
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby reef » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:00 am

We love Torpedo lights - thats all we need
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby garbage » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:39 pm

For us, it's just the one gas light for outside and a battery operated torch for inside the tent.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby jasonb » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:31 pm

ive got a little solar panel which is about 1ft by1ft and it charges a small car battery which will run 2 lights the portable dvd for the kids and a radio
are we there yet ?
jasonb
Captain Camping

Postby Jok » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:48 pm

Two versa lites, a battery flouro, a maglite and a dolphin,
gave the gas the flick after using 12volt flouros.
Jok
Jok
Camping King

Postby mytribe » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:49 pm

We've got a 12v flourescent tube approx half a mtr long, that we connect up to an old car battery.

We hang that one one of the tent poles, apart from that we use LED headlights and torches for light.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby clackerz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:23 pm

mytribe wrote:We've got a 12v flourescent tube approx half a mtr long, that we connect up to an old car battery.

We hang that one one of the tent poles, apart from that we use LED headlights and torches for light.

This is a set-up I'm looking to use (in conjunction with some gas lanterns).
Was going to use a small generator to charge up a couple of dry-cells and then use the batteries to power up some lights (and maybe some other things)
I assume this would work?
How long do your lights last?
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:53 pm

We've got 2 x gas (one on an extension pole in the kitchen) 1 x battery fluro
and both have torches

BUT 9/10 times we only use 1 gas light in the kitchen to cook (or finish cooking) dinner and eat it then that gets turned off and we sit around the fire talking crap (as you do when camping) and then the battey fluro gets turned on to get any food or to get some wood or another drink etc other wise no light just the fire. Works a treat for us.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mytribe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:11 pm

clackerz wrote:
mytribe wrote:We've got a 12v flourescent tube approx half a mtr long, that we connect up to an old car battery.

Was going to use a small generator to charge up a couple of dry-cells and then use the batteries to power up some lights (and maybe some other things)

So far we haven't managed to go camping longer than 2 nights, it's all I can cope with, with the kids still young.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby clackerz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:47 pm

mytribe wrote:
clackerz wrote:

So far we haven't managed to go camping longer than 2 nights, it's all I can cope with, with the kids still young.

Easter was our first extended trip (4 nights) with our youngest (18mths). Our biggest fear was the fire - but he wasn't interested. Our previous trip with him (Last Easter) was for 2 nights.
So I hear ya!
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide