Camping close to Sydney

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping close to Sydney

Postby cojones » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:01 pm

Hi, I am interested in finding a camp site close to Sydney ( less than 2hrs ) for me and my 2 boys. I will be doing weekend trips.

.Access by simple 4wd is OK
.No amenities OK
.Not crowded ( I hate crowds and noise )
.Water for kyak/swim would be nice
.Some nice walks

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cojones

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:48 pm

Lithgow - less than 1 1/2 hrs driving a bit slow up hills (not at all crowded, easy access by dirt road + easy-medium-hard 4x4ing everywhere around it). Read my review in the Australian Park Reviews section. - viewtopic.php?t=255 - also has a really nice bushwalk to a old train tunnell with glow worms in it.

Mt Watagan - about 2hrs driving fast (freeway), not usually that crowded except on public holidays, but even then u can just go find your own camp ground (i have a secret spot on a clearing at the top of a hill :mrgreen: ) this too has a range of 4x4ing but most spots are easily accessible. Not much in the way of activities (besides 4x4ing), has some nice bushwalks around the main campground but no reall creeks afaik.

Colo - Really close, like 45 mins - 1hr, with a river to swim in (but u pay and its crowded on holidays) and to my knowledge, no real 4x4ing.

Janolen caves might be a tad more than 2hrs but well worth the trip. I havent been there in years but what I do remember it was great.

The best place i could reccomend as far activities for kids go, would be Mungo brush. Its about 4hrs drive though, but u can camp with 200m of the beach, drive your 4x4 on the beach, and then there is also a freshwater lake u can swim in just about 700m in the other direction, its awesome :mrgreen:

If you want more info on any of these spots post your questions up here, or PM me. I'm heading up to Lithgow on Australia day if you want a tour guide :P
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Timmo » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:47 pm

gday cojones

Just got back from a place called Wollondilly River Station which is located 50kms west of Bowral and Mittagong, has very large river which has fishing and swimming (bring a inflatable boat or canoe to enjoy more of the river), camping is $7.50 per night all year round per person and pets can also join in on the fun. Another 15kms past there is the Wombeyan Caves (also have camping grounds and cabins available), the caves are a great place to get out of the heat too ;) and not to mention that the tours of the caves are a great sight too.

Due to the rain over the past few weeks the main road in is a bit dodgy, but in my group we had a lancer and a holden barina make the trip, over all the trip would be a little longer then 2hrs but worth it.

http://www.wollondillystation.bizland.com/ - River side camping

http://www.jenolancaves.org.au/general.asp?tb=w_general - Wombeyan Caves
'91 Toyota 4Runner RV6
Timmo

Return to Camping Tips and Locations