Another Newbie

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Another Newbie

Postby TwistedTania » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:01 am

Hello everyone , I am a newbie here .
I am kinda new to camping as a family , previously camping with Cub Scouts and Girl Guides,a long time ago so in a way no expert in tents other than the ones I have seen used. We are a couple in our 40's with a teenage feral (LOL) daughter , needing to get away from TV ect and chill. We live in the northern suburbs of Adelaide.
We are looking at buying a DMH 8 man Dome tent , a overlander. Has anyone got this type of tent and could tell me what they think of them . Has to be reasonably easy to put up. Any advice would be great !

Thanks Tania and Anthony
TwistedTania

Postby Fonty » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:40 am

Welcome Tania and Anthony, great to meet you. I'm 40 and a single dad also just recently getting back into camping mostly with my 4 year old son, though I also have 3 other daughters I keep trying to drag along with is. :) Sorry I can't help you with advice on the tent but I'm sure there are plenty here who can.. Just be patient in case they are out in their tents on this long weekend. :grin:

Andrew.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Scolers » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:52 am

Welcome Tania and ferals! ;)

There's a couple of SOuth Aussie's here ... hope you ll manage to catch up.

Can't help you with the brand name but my suggestion is to get a tent that you can stand up in. Makes a trip much more pleasant ... also means there's an awning you can ist under and drink many beverages ... :beer

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mytribe » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:39 pm

Welcome Tania...although I feel like I'm welcoming myself as that's my name and DH's name is Antony :*** and I've got at least one feral daughter.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby TwistedTania » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:30 am

Ohhh how eerie is that - I have three kids actually , the other two have left home :+

Tania
TwistedTania

Postby CCC » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:58 am

Hey Tania and Anthony

Welcome to the site. We all get to that point where we NEED to get away and thats why I'm here :armsup

Alma and Clint
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby TwistedTania » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:52 pm

Alma , if we ever get to visit NSW South coast maybe we could meet up . As a kid we spent a lot of time in Dalmeny, as my grandparents have a home there. We would spend heaps of time down at the lagoon swimming, You can also catch prawns there. I dont know what the camping is like now - its been ummm errr many many years since we have been there.

Tania
TwistedTania

Postby homekegger1 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:10 pm

Tania and Anthony,

Welcome to the website. As you can see this is my second post, so I will say a quick welcome and hello and introduce myself in another thread.

In Adelaide here so there is always a possibility of an impromtu camping adventure.

Cheers :beer :

HK
homekegger1
Camping King

Postby Komodo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:39 am

Welcome!

Just as a note an 8person dome is an EXTREEMLY large dome. It will be hard to setup and wont withstand wind increadibly well. You may be better with either 2 smaller domes or a "touring" or "cabin" style tent instead.

Definately get a tent you can stand in - makes life soooo much more enjoyable!

Enjoy your stay here at camping.com.au!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby JM1375 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:07 pm

new campers nsw wrote:Hey Tania and Anthony

Welcome to the site. We all get to that point where we NEED to get away and thats why I'm here :armsup

Alma and Clint

That certainly sums it up for me! :+

Welcome to the site - hope you enjoy your return to camping.

Cheers,
Jodie
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby clackerz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:41 pm

Well from a semi-newbie to a newbie re: tents.
Go to several camping places that stock different brands - with the whole family. They usually have them set-up and some even have mattresses etc already inside them. Go inside, use some imagination and see if it suits your needs for room, comfort etc. Short list the ones you like and go and ask questions about set-up etc - you should then have the tent that best suits your needs....
Good Luck! (Oh and welcome!!!)
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Return to Introductions: