12V shower units

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

12V shower units

Postby Komodo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:23 pm

Alright,

Showers - 12V ones.

I want info and I want info now :P

Basically I've been looking to fit a Glind or Helton hot water system to the Patrol. BUT events over the weekend suggest to me that well yeah that would be nice but the reality is that where I want to put a shower and where I can park the 4x4 are quite often 2 differing places.

So Im opting for a hillbilly / hot water donkey style HWS and using a 12V shower. So my question is... Are there any brands I should stay away from? any that are better than the rest? (if so why?) Where is good place to get one from and how much should I look to paying for one?

Any advice GREATLY appreciated

Used one of those "solar" showers over the weekend - fat load of good that did - ended up boiling water in the billy and filling the bag with hot water that way - and then the water flow is poor at best.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby clackerz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:25 pm

Hi Komodo,
I have seen them in Grangers Camping, but not sure of how good they are.
Below is a link to the Grangers web page.
http://www.grangerscampingworld.com.au/
Go to Furniture> Toilets/Showers you'll find it at the top.
Seems pretty cheap - was thinking of one for myself.....
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:28 pm

Thanks clackers.
I've seen them there - but i try to avoid the "grangers" camping world stores. Their customer service is - well a little below par.
I know Dicksmiths had them at one stage dunno if they still have them or not.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:43 pm

can you always have a fire to heat your donkey?

I was about to buy a Coleman HWS the other day but decided it was one more thing to carry around... it's sponge baths for everyone for now!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby clackerz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:59 pm

HGMonaro wrote:can you always have a fire to heat your donkey?

I was about to buy a Coleman HWS the other day but decided it was one more thing to carry around... it's sponge baths for everyone for now!

I would say on TFB days that a fire is OUT! But having said that if it is a TFB day then it is hot and a cool washdown is the go anyway.
We generally use the sponge baths for the kids - the wife would so dearly love a camp shower though - myself a quick rinse in the river/ocean is fine for me.
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:05 pm

HGMonaro on TFB days its very unlikely I'll be camping - infact if im camping on a TFB day then shoot me please!

In places where a fire isnt allowed I have a gas ring burner which can be used to heat the water donkey.

That said I am still looking to eventually fit a glind style water heater but atm budget along with the placement issue is putting that on the back burner for now.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:20 pm

That one on the Grangers site looks pretty much identical to the one I bought from supercheap auto, about the same price too maybe $25.

I've only used it about 3 times (I'm a grot and usually dont bother when I'm camping :mrgreen: ), but its ridden in the back of my car in my metal army chest bouncing around for probably 2 years now. Still works (well it did in December when I last used it ;) ) Flow is adequate but by no means great, and the only problem I had with it, was it didn't work once, I pulled it apart and put it back together again and it worked :? There's not much to them, and for ~$25 you can't really go wrong if you want a cheap/quick/small shower unit.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby jasonb » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:50 pm

we use a 20 ltr drum anda pump handle off a 7ltr garden sprayer to get pressure ,a bit of garden hose and a shower head, heat up half the water and bobs ya uncle ,and 5 of us use 20 ltrs
are we there yet ?
jasonb
Captain Camping

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:04 pm

Leading Edge Electronics have them at $19.95. BCF had them at that price for members in the last catelogue we recieved. Haven't got one yet, we use the sponge method where there is no shower available. Problem is that you also need a shower tent and thats more space to pack it in and then to set up. :?
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:32 pm

jasonb wrote:we use a 20 ltr drum anda pump handle off a 7ltr garden sprayer to get pressure ,a bit of garden hose and a shower head, heat up half the water and bobs ya uncle ,and 5 of us use 20 ltrs

U mean 200L, right? 4L pp is insane, my hair would need 4L to get soaked. ::()
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:28 pm

hadn't thought of the TFB as such, just you can't always have a fire. Gas ring solves the problem on non TFB days though!

On a serious note... what I really need is a NURSE to perform the sponge bath option... I'd be happy with that! :)
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:37 pm

HGMonaro wrote:hadn't thought of the TFB as such, just you can't always have a fire. Gas ring solves the problem on non TFB days though!

On a serious note... what I really need is a NURSE to perform the sponge bath option... I'd be happy with that! :)

Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Komodo@home » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:17 pm

PMSL - nice one HGMonaro (BTW when we gunna see pics of this coke bottle coupe?)

We used about 15 litres for 2 of us and that was without really trying to save water, so 20ltrs for 4 people sounds pretty feasable. You use less because at home you spend longer showering plus you use the heat from the steam to keep you warm in your home shower - cant do that in the bush so you dont muck around!

As for having to have a shower tent... Says who? we just had a poly tarp setup between two tent poles.

Ozzy - surely the flow was better than that from a "solar" camp shower
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:37 pm

Komodo@home wrote:
Ozzy - surely the flow was better than that from a "solar" camp shower

I've never used one for a shower, but I played with a friends one and it seemed pretty woeful. Pump would definitely be better just not sure how much better. But even if it wasn't hugely better the added maneuverability, and ease of use would make up for it. Easier to boil a billy and add it to a bucket than wait all day for a lil bag to warm up :?

From memory it used about 10L in several mins
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby HGMonaro » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:04 pm

Komodo@home wrote:(BTW when we gunna see pics of this coke bottle coupe?)

Here's an old page (haven't been with that ISP for several years but they keep hosting the pages!) The motor has been repainted since those pics so looks a bit neater. Currently has a few issues (steering and brakes!) so doesn't get out of the garage much.

http://unite.com.au/~u3819a/monaro.html
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to Gear Guide