Organising your "kitchen"

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby reef » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:30 am

that is awesome ! I want one ! Space is a big thing with the five of us, I've got a DMH camp kitchen and I thought that was ok until I saw this set up. I'm moving in !
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:29 pm

Kramer wrote:I would love a kitchen that size but it would be a little over kill for only 2 people I suppose.

There's only my wife and i and our 12 month old. It's very comfortable ;) but unfortunately no coffee machine :)

Initially i was concerned about space but we can fit all our camping gear and pillows and clothes into our 7x4 trailor & toolbox. We try to keep nothing in the car. This way we limit ourselves to what we take otherwise we'll just take gear we don't really need. But the Drifta takes the big coleman stove, all washing up gear, all cutlery/plates/mugs, papaer towel, knick knacks in the drawers, chopping board, food etc - you name it. The kitchen folds down into itself and then the legs fold up and it slides into the trailor on it's poly runners.

Dimensions are: Height 430 mm, Length 1640 mm, Depth 480 mm, Weight 30 kgs.

They make smaller ones like mine and in different combinations and they also make ones like this:

Their website is http://www.drifta.com.au/
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Fonty » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:41 pm

I can vouch for the fact that it's bigger than a kitchen in a two bedroom unit! I need that space here! ::()

I think one day I'm gonna go looking for something, get stuck in a corner somewhere and there I'll remain unless they bring the jaws of life in to pry me out again. :-bang

I guess you can see some of the appeal camping in the great wide outdoors has for me. :grin:
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Kramer » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:57 pm

Man those kitchens look awesome, They aren't too badly priced but I think I could nearly make one similar......................... Will see how I go before the Birdsville races I have a heap to do so I might just buy one yet :grin:
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:41 pm

Might seriously look at something like this ... great concept and terrific for the camper trailer!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Scolers » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:02 pm

Had a good look at them and don't beleive they are worth it UNLESS you don't hav a kitchen set up to start with. We have a table with a swing out thingy where the cooker goes ... cost 1/5 of the price of the DRIFTA and we are happy with what we have. Always pays to look around.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Jeeps » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:38 pm

That's a fair comment, there's no reason to get a kitchen if you've already got one ;)

I bought the Drifta before our little one started walking and i'm glad that i did because it's very stable and reasonably high so she can't knock it over or pull things down. The cupboard locks so she can't pull it open but she can slide out the sink and get access to the paper towel and stuff but that's not dangerous. She can reach stuff on the lower return shelf but we just put things there that and can have like magazines, toys etc. My only concern with our setup is the cast iron oven on the gas ring (see below pic) as when it's on and cooking we obviously have to watch it constantly. It's got a very long hose so i usually put behind the kitchen and around towards the trailor where she can't see it - see no evil, hear no evil ;)

We previously had a 'stove stand' and an aluminum table that has done us well over the last 5-6 years but they are wobbly and she'd probably pull them over. Plus they didn't hold any gear, took longer to setup, and weren't bulletproof like the Drifta.

Here's a pic from a few days ago helping dad dry the dishes after breakfast:

Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:47 am

I aint got nothing on Jeeps (been looking at a drifta for a while, but ive been told I have to stick with what ive got for a while first) but this is my kitchen. Im looking to have a water setup like Jeeps has soon though (I'm so jealous man your a lucky guy!)

A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby clackerz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:13 pm

My kitchen is very much like komodo's. (very scary that I have the same tables/stove/etc) It works for me and I can move the separate parts around to suit the location etc. Sometimes we use the different table etc at home for parties etc.
Defintely though Jeeps is a very impressive set-up - must agree!
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:22 pm

Komodo, you need a ridge pole! ;)

I had to pull it out today to get some utensils from the drawers for the kitchen in the house so i took some pics of it in the 7x4 trailor:

As you can see there's heaps of room left in front of it for gear. We put all our gear into the trailor including pillows and clothes as the wrangler is too small for any gear - it all fits easily :)

Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:07 pm

Your right Jeeps!
I have been looking into it. Its just trying to get one that will span the distance and colapse spall enought to be easily transported.

Unfortunately at work we dont deal in steel small enough to get the boys to make me one in the work shop. Might end up ordering some in from surdex (southern steel) though

Your trailer setup looks like it works extreemly well Jeeps!

Clackerz - the kitchen works really well. Im actually concidering buying another of the tables on the right (with the black alluminium slats) as its an awesome and sturdy table!

Jeeps does the water setup with the hand pump out of the water containers work well?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jeeps » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:30 pm

I have camp store bought ridge poles that extend to 16 ft. They break up into 3 pieces each about 6ft long for transport.

The water pump works well. You can do the same pump setup with a plastic jerry can if you drill a hole in the lid and mount the tap on the lid and have a pipe inside the jerry to feed the pump. ;)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo@home » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:29 pm

Its the 6foot long thing thats putting me off LOL

I will eventually get some. The tarp works quite well with out one ATM so I guess I'll wait till I put roof racks on the Patrol then I can put a pole carrier on it to sliode 6ft long ridge poles into ;)

Other wise I might talk to the boys in the plate shop and work out a way to make some about 4ft each long that interconnect in a M - F tyep fashion like a traditional tent pole. Then again that might be my structural detailing mind getting carried away :P

Yeah Ive been looking at doing the water like you suggest. Still umming and ahhing at the moment :P
Procrastination is my freind.
The other thing that puts me off getting too many gadgets is Kel already reacons im the laziest / most lux'd out camper she knows LOL
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Budget Camp Kitchen

Postby baileysw » Wed May 02, 2007 2:20 pm

I have a 4x4 traytop ute with canopy & tie-down rails. Two pieces of scrap ply (600w x 1000L) make an excellent camp kitchen. A pine frame stiffens the underside, two clips from door stops on each piece of ply clip onto the tie-down rail, and a swinging, drop-down leg on each one gives support at the other end. I put some fibro at the end of one for a cooking area for a ring burner and/or gas stove. I made up a folding tin wind shield for those breezy sites. In the middle of the other piece of ply, I cut out a hole in which I sit a plastic washing up bucket. A few small hooks for utensils, dishcloth and tea towels and you're done.

Place each bench either side of the rear wheel and you have a double-bench kitchen that is functional and also has plenty of room for 2 people for preparation, cooking and stacking the dirty dishes. Underneath I store my esky and groceries in a lareg el-cheapo plastic box.

All up, the cost was less than twenty dollars and I have a kitchen that takes less than 20 seconds to fold up and store in the back of the truck. Photo's are available for anyone interested.

Steve
baileysw

Re: Budget Camp Kitchen

Postby clackerz » Wed May 02, 2007 2:25 pm

baileysw wrote:I have a 4x4 traytop ute with canopy & tie-down rails. Two pieces of scrap ply (600w x 1000L) make an excellent camp kitchen. A pine frame stiffens the underside, two clips from door stops on each piece of ply clip onto the tie-down rail, and a swinging, drop-down leg on each one gives support at the other end. I put some fibro at the end of one for a cooking area for a ring burner and/or gas stove. I made up a folding tin wind shield for those breezy sites. In the middle of the other piece of ply, I cut out a hole in which I sit a plastic washing up bucket. A few small hooks for utensils, dishcloth and tea towels and you're done.

Place each bench either side of the rear wheel and you have a double-bench kitchen that is functional and also has plenty of room for 2 people for preparation, cooking and stacking the dirty dishes. Underneath I store my esky and groceries in a lareg el-cheapo plastic box.

All up, the cost was less than twenty dollars and I have a kitchen that takes less than 20 seconds to fold up and store in the back of the truck. Photo's are available for anyone interested.

Steve

Yeah def post up the pics - luv to see the set-up....
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations