Hi, My name is Melissa!

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Hi, My name is Melissa!

Postby Karicher » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:58 pm

Hi,

My name is Melissa, but most people call me Mel. My husband and I have been camping for a few years now. We started off with the very basics. We always go and buy a few new things before each trip to add to our collection. We have 3 kids - 1 girl and 2 boys. Kayla is 6yrs, Riley is 4yrs and Fletcher ( Fletch) is 2yrs. We love camping out in the open where we can have a fire. Lake Ecumbene is our favourite place, however it is always cold!!!!! However it is also nice to go to a tourist park and have a swimming pool for the kids! We stayed at potato point one year and loved it, however got lots of Ticks and it has stopped us going back again.

It takes us about 2 hours to set up our camp. We are slowely replacing things that take too long to assemble and that are really heavy. I often admire people who have Camper trailers and just pop them up in 5 minutes!!! I just dont think we could afford one, even though I'm tempted to just add to our collection of debt!

I also hate the pack up. But, I love camping and wouldn't holiday any other way! The kids love it!

I look forward to speaking to you all and getting lots of handy hints! I have noticed a lot of people seem to start with tents and then get the camper trailers. I would be interested in knowing why and how much better they are. And if they are big enough for a family of 5!!!!!!

Talk to you all soon!

Mel
Mel
Karicher
Boy Scout

Postby Komodo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm

Welcome Mel!

Lake Ecumbene eh i havent been there in YEARS and then it was snowing LOL

hope you enjoy your time on Camping.com.au as much as the rest of us! Look forward to hearing your stories tips and tricks especially for camping with a family I know a lot of the other members would appreciate it.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Karicher » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:54 pm

Yes it does get cold at Lake Ecumbene! But there is something fun about being freezing cold, drinking ice cold beer, sitting around the fire with beanies, gloves and blankets while toasting marshmellows!!!!

It was about 7degrees in the day this Easter and in the Minuses at night. No rain though, so that was good! The fire was buring 24/7!!!!!

I look forward to getting to know you all better soon too!

Thanks heaps for your reply,

Mel
Mel
Karicher
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:04 pm

Hi Mel and welcome to the forums!

CT's are really great and if you intend to do a lot of camping each year they are a good investment. If you are only going to go camping once or twice a year then just stick to the good ol' tent.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Karicher » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:56 pm

Hi,

We normally go camping about 3-4 times a year. We would love to just go away for a sat night over the weekend but there is always too much to set up and take it is not worth the effort. If we had the camper trailer it might be easier to just pop away at short notice. We always go away at Easter, then June long weekend, October Long weekend and normally New Years as well.

I dont know that much about Camper Trailers but I should look into them more. Just know that if I do, then being the impulse buyer I am, I would go and buy one!!!! I bet they cost about $20,000 for one the size I need!
Mel
Karicher
Boy Scout

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:26 pm

For $20,000 you'd get a pretty special sort of camper. A basic one is around 5-6 and then it adds up as you add to it eg - off road, kitchen water tanks etc.

Mrs Bravo and I are going south to Canberra and below in 2 weeks time. I don't mind the cold at night (nice and snuggly) but I hope it's reasonable during the day. :armsup
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Karicher » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:50 pm

I didn't realise they were as cheap as that. We are having a camping Expo in Canberra in a couple of weeks so I will have to go and check some out on display.

Canberra is quite warm here in the days at the moment, so you should be OK in the days when you are camping. The nights are getting pretty cold down here though. The flannie sheets are on!!!!
Mel
Karicher
Boy Scout

Postby freerocketman1 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:16 pm

welcome to the forum hope you enjoy. if your thinking about a camper trailer try ebay theres lots of cheap ones down your way & if you can get a chance to have a look before you bid its a good way of telling what you might add to one if you dont end up winning. :grin:
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby HGMonaro » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:37 pm

if you don't want to take 2hrs setting up or packing up, you need to learn how to take a lot less! Why go camping if you take everything you own!

BTW, welcome!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby reef » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:51 pm

Hi and welcome - we are also a family of 5 - and have a tent - camper trailer would be nice but a tent will have to do us. enjoy the site, I think it's great especially getting ideas before you go and buy something which is totally useless or not, welcome anyway !
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Return to Introductions: