Bedding...

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Bedding...

Postby JM1375 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:33 pm

Ok - so I am now less than two weeks away from my first ever camping trip (as an adult), and I have hit a small snag. :?

We bought an air-matress - it is one of those queen size bed ones that are double height. We inflated it on the weekend and both jumped on it and it was terrible.

DH is 6'6" and outmasses me by nearly 40 kilos. I just kept sliding into the centre of the bed up against him. (I know that could be an advntage at times, :lol: )

So what does everyone else use? And does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jodie
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby clackerz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:49 pm

We have a Coleman queen that has 2 chambers, so each side is filled separately, so any movement etc does not affect the whole bed - only one side - works a treat.
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:39 pm

We have a coleman air bed queen size ours isnt twin chamber (didnt know you could get them like that to be honest) but its like two one on top of the other. Wouldnt even know someone else was on it actually!

we used to use foam matteresses but they were more hassle than they were worth in the end transport wise
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Fonty » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:03 pm

I have an intex prestige queen mattress, it's not quite the cheapest brand at kmart. I am roughly 140 kilos and my son isn't even 30 kilos so there's a fair difference there- but we don't have a problem! I do have a single mattress as well and both fit snugly in the four man dome tent we have. This weekend I tried to put Beren on the small mattress but he likes his cuddles so he ended up with me again during the night. Maybe the mattress I have is better than I thought it was, I'm so used to getting what's cheapest. :grin: I did spend more this time on one with a footpump in it- I had the single already with an inbuilt pump so decided to stick with them. They are easy enough to pump up and don't take too long.

All I can think is that maybe you didn't have it pumped up enough. Otherwise it doesn't work so return it now before you take it camping and get it covered in dirt and soot from the fire. :)

Andrew.
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby mytribe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:34 pm

We have a spinifex queen size blow up mattress from Anaconda(our fave camping store), I weigh 60kg and DH weighs approx 80 and never had a problem with me rolling in to him.

I'd see whether it was the type you had, or perhaps it wasn't blown up enough.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:51 pm

Solid foam. Rolls up, still a bit bulky compared to an expensive air bed but i don't have to worry about putting a hole in it and going flat, and if it gets dirty out comes the hose.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby reef » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:09 pm

We have the coleman twin chamber mattress, Hubby is 100 kg and I'm 50 kg and we needed it cause i felt like i was trying to climb up the hill allnight but would get sucked back down the gully again ! It's great, I get some sleep and I'm a happy wife which is good for him in the long run !
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby CCC » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:22 pm

We have a queen inflatable air materess. I had the problem of sleeping in the 'crack' of the bed :shock: and it was blown up properly.
He is over 150kgs and I was 90kgs at the time

I am now looking for 2 deluxe singles to put side by side so I can finally have a decent sleep while camping :armsup
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Barby-Q » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:13 am

We have self inflating hi density foam queen size mattress. No rolling, sagging , or loss of air to worry about and very comfortable . Just undo the caps and up they go , then put the caps back on. They are bulky and have to use the vacuume to suck the air out to make them easy to roll up again . They all have a place in the covered in trailer so you dont have to get them out until the tent is up .
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby JM1375 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:29 am

reef wrote:We have the coleman twin chamber mattress, Hubby is 100 kg and I'm 50 kg and we needed it cause i felt like i was trying to climb up the hill allnight but would get sucked back down the gully again ! It's great, I get some sleep and I'm a happy wife which is good for him in the long run !

Yes - that was what it felt like - like lying sideways on a slope! Ok - glad it's not just me.

The Coleman twin chamber sounds pretty good - will have to go shopping again.... damn..... :lol: (Wonder if Anaconda will do a return on the airbed?)

Cheers, J.
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby HGMonaro » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:20 am

if you can get it back into the packet, they probably let you 'swap' it for something else. Worth a try!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Return to Gear Guide