What tents do you own?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

TENT

Postby simnat » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:05 am

We have a Wild Coutry Geo Family 8. It's a dome tent with a large sleeping area and front area for eating and when it's wet. Heading to the Freycinet National Park on the East Coast of Tassie for easter. Kids are looking forward to it, camping is the number one family activity.
simnat

Postby JM1375 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:35 am

We just bought a cheapie to get started with - Spinifex Franklin 9 person dome tent - but I do hope it will last a few years.

It has 3 rooms and I didn't realise when I bought it quite how big it is! It measures around 6m x 2.8m and 2.1m high!! ::()

We pitched it in the front yard last weekend and it only just fit. :?

Get to try it out for real in another three weeks!!! Yay! :grin:
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby clackerz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:08 am

Sportiva Headland - from Anaconda 'bout 2 years ago. Served us well.
We were thinking of getting a bigger one, but have decided against it and instead invest in some good tarps, poles etc and create more covered room that way - in the end you only sleep in the tent.....
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:32 am

Give the man a medal!

how sooo many people fail to see this! Tarps and poles are cheap as chips compared to big tents. Tarps are more versatile than a big tent.

We have a tarp that I bought about 2 years ago from K-Mart its a "stockman" brand kitchen fly / tarp setup. It works a treat. I can have it setup by myself in under 15 minutes if i really go hammer and tongs, but more conservatively with 2 people we can set it up in around 15-20 mins taking it fairly easy - biggest amount of time is spent un tangling guy ropes!

I did upgrade it by getting new guy ropes (i made up some doubles) and stronger pegs and adding the tension springs to the guy ropes. This has made it 300% better in windy conditions (and still conditions) all up the tarp setup has cost me probably $100 inc the upgrades. I could probably have done it cheaper if i really wanted to but at the end of the day I bought something that was complete in a box that I could have used for many years without upgrading for $50 on special then spent about $50 on upgrades to make it better suited to my needs. I can also wrap a smaller tarp around the sides to block out rain and wind should the need arise.

Realistically $100 for a good strong tarp setup as opposed to $500+ for a big tent... you do the maths. All I know is that my 4 person tent can be setup in a smaller foot print than a big tent can and my tarp can be setup pretty much any where dependant on how i set it up. I have far more under cover area than most. Its easy to set up and pull down takes up little space is light weight. Plus its a poly tarp so mildue and mold damage isnt much of an issue if its packed up wet. and if vermin get into it - well how expencive is a poly tarp to replace compared to a canvas tent?

Just my 2c
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby reef » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:08 am

Can you imagine being stuck in one room with 3 small kids for two weeks. Maybe a small tent is great for some but a big tent is great for others - as we have small kids and generally take along toys, bikes , balls etc for them the extra room is great. We have a room for us, they have their room ( 3 beds just fit in their room) , the middle bit has all our stuff, clothes, surfboards, wetties, hubbys fishing stuff, food, etc, then we have the awning for our kitchen, eating, eskys etc with a tarp over the top of the whole set up. So maybe it's just for sleeping for you, but we also need the storage space, and the stability of a big canvas tent in a summer storm and kids running around etc. There is a bit of stuff to take for 5 people and we still pack as light as we can. Maybe you should go camping with young un's and deal with fighting and tantrums in a small tent. So all us that opt for a big tent get a medal too, all families are different ! Just my 2c !
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby mytribe » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:15 am

We take 3 tents, and that's just for DH, myself and 4 kids.

Like you Reef we've got to have enough space for all of us and not have us all cramped up.

We have myself, hubby and the youngest(along with the dog) in one tent, then the 8 and 5yr olds share a tent which has a front section where the food is kept, and the 14yr old get's a little two man tent on his own.

After looking at other set ups I feel we do now have to put up a tarp for our cooking instead of just having it out in the open.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby clackerz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:44 am

reef wrote:Can you imagine being stuck in one room with 3 small kids for two weeks. Maybe a small tent is great for some but a big tent is great for others - as we have small kids and generally take along toys, bikes , balls etc for them the extra room is great. We have a room for us, they have their room ( 3 beds just fit in their room) , the middle bit has all our stuff, clothes, surfboards, wetties, hubbys fishing stuff, food, etc, then we have the awning for our kitchen, eating, eskys etc with a tarp over the top of the whole set up. So maybe it's just for sleeping for you, but we also need the storage space, and the stability of a big canvas tent in a summer storm and kids running around etc. There is a bit of stuff to take for 5 people and we still pack as light as we can. Maybe you should go camping with young un's and deal with fighting and tantrums in a small tent. So all us that opt for a big tent get a medal too, all families are different ! Just my 2c !

Totally Agree - we have a fairly large tent already with 2 large rooms, and have 2 small boys as well, but getting a bigger tent again just seemed to be overkill as we fit everything in as is. It was more "we'd like to have more space" so I was looking at other options - even taking my smaller tent for the boys to sleep in.
It's all a personal thing on how/what set-up you have - and I was putting fwd my ideas/thoughts and how we set-up.
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:30 am

I also agree. But I dont think domes that size are a good idea. Better to get 2 smaller tents or a cabin / touring style tent IMHO
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby reef » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:22 am

Thank god ! I thought i was going to get slaughtered for my response - geez you guys are nice. We looked at two seperate tents but in a summer storms they need to be near us cause they hate thunder so massive we have gone !
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:48 pm

We have a 6 person single room dome which is as big as i'd like to go. We also have a 4 person and a 3 person dome if we have anyone 'tagging along' without a tent.

We prefer to have a largish tarp setup to keep the cook/eating/enterainment areas dry from rain/dew/bird I like ;)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:57 pm

What tents do you own?

None 8)

Swags all round

One day, I will get a tent, but when I do, it will most likely be a compromise to make someone else happy.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Kramer » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:15 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:One day, I will get a tent, but when I do, it will most likely be a compromise to make someone else happy.

Oh Ozzy is on the prowl :grin: :grin: BTW Goats don;t like to sleep in tents! :grin:
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Family Campers » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:55 pm

We are new to this camping business, so have come to this site for tips, ideas and some laughs! :***

We are a family of 5 (2 adults+3 kids), We are looking at getting a large tent (10+ people). The more room the saner I will be :grin:
Family Campers
Camping King

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:39 pm

Kramer wrote:
BTW Goats don;t like to sleep in tents! :grin:

You've learned this from experience huh? ;) :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Family Campers » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:00 pm

I bought a tent today :lol:

It is a Thor tent for 12 people. I got it from eBay, it is brand new.

Has anyone got one of these tents?

I can't wait for it to arrive. :***
Family Campers
Camping King

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Guide