QLD - Flanagans Reserve, Rathdowney

QLD - Flanagans Reserve, Rathdowney

Postby Chippy76 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:27 pm

Hey all!
We just stayed at Flanagan Reserve Rathdowney for our easter break and I thought I'd fill you all in on our stay.
Being the Easter break we were required to book for the long weekend, as you would expect. We booked via the net and received very polite and informative emails letting us know what to expect.
Upon arrival, we registered at the registration tent (set up especially for easter) and set about to finding a site. Porta loos and a shower trailer had been hired for the weekend, to supplement the existing toilet/shower block. This made finding a reasonable campsite fairly easy. The park is scattered with plenty of trees for shade, and fire barrels are supplied randomly around the sites. Firewood is sold at the shop for $5 per wheelbarrow load. The saturday night saw us entertained by some local guitar talent (not the worlds greatest but at least it was some free cheap entertainment.) And there was even a visit from the easter bunny for the kids.
We went for a wander around the park on the sunday (all 28 acres of it), and the kids had a splash around in the spring fed water hole. Although a little to cool for the adults the kids loved it. On the whole the other campers were well behaved, tho I guess you cant control that. One of the best things about the park is that you can take your dog camping with you, something you cant do at surrounding parks.
The shower/toilet block was well serviced and very clean. With 20c buying 2 mins of hot water. I would recommend this park to anyone interested in visiting the area. There is plenty to see and do in the surrounding area, with bushwalking, and wineries in easy driving distance.

Check out their website on http://www.flanagansreserve.com.au

Chippy :beer
Chippy76
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:41 pm

The web addy didnt work .. or is it just me?

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Cruzin » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:44 pm

We were there 2 years ago come June and there was a total of 5 camps set up in the whole 28 acres (nearly my idea of Campers heaven)

Thoroughly recommend it.
Also day travelled to Mt Barney, Mt Maroon, Lions Road between Rathdowney & Kyogle and also Spicer's Gap.

try this URL
http://www.flanaganreserve.com.au/

Here are some pics of the trip

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/just_c ... /my_photos

Cheers
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

flanagan reserve

Postby Chippy76 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:29 pm

opps ... yeah that link is better ... lol sorry .... Id like to go there during the year when its not so busy. I reckon it could be a good spot for a "boys weekend". Not too far from the rathdowney pub :beer
Maybe after a bit of rain too ... im still getting dust out of the crevices! :?
Chippy76
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:03 am

I've stayed at bigriggen but i've been warned off flanagans because i've been told it's dusty, dry and full of prickles which isn't good for my 1 year old.

cheers
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Chippy76 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:54 pm

Dry ... yes .... (but where isnt at the moment)
Dusty .... Yes ... (see above)
And prickles, there are some, but I just insist that our 2 yo wears shoes when camping. But then we all have to wear shoes, thats just one of our rules. :lol:
Chippy76
Captain Camping

Postby freerocketman1 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:11 pm

jeeps try stinsons park not that many camp spots but when i was doing the dump run on sunday i noticed there wasnt any prickles & where you camp was fairly green too, unlike burges park where we camped. it was dry & a few prickles but the creek still had water flowing so all was not lost. :cheers
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Chippy76 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:00 pm

To be honest I didnt notice that many prickles. However I must agree that bigriggen is nicer. I just couldnt take my dog there, so we settled on Flanagans instead. Ive seen burgess park and it is quite nice. Ive only picniced there tho.
chippy
Chippy76
Captain Camping

Re: Flanagans Reserve, Rathdowney QLD

Postby gypsy rainbow » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:08 am

i have the privlalage to be living just down the rd from flanagan reserve,a unique place in itself,with great service and a caring attitude by the care takers.
gypsy rainbow
Camping King

Postby Chippy76 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:17 pm

you dont have property down that way do you ???
Chippy76
Captain Camping

Postby gypsy rainbow » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:28 pm

hi chippy,unfortunatly no mate,why do u ask?
gypsy rainbow
Camping King

Postby gypsy rainbow » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:42 pm

hi chippy,unfortunatly no,sorry mate,wish wish.why do u ask? :(
gypsy rainbow
Camping King

Postby Chippy76 » Tue May 01, 2007 7:31 pm

I am always looking for suitable property for my scouts to go camping ... Chippy
Chippy76
Captain Camping

Postby s4j » Thu May 24, 2007 10:42 pm

Must give Flanagans another look then....we did a day trip in the area and only saw the level near the office.....bit tight for the camptrailer we thought with all the trees.....A regular to Bigriggen the downside is my 'fur baby' has to visit rellies...
s4j
Camping King

Postby gypsy rainbow » Thu May 24, 2007 11:41 pm

s4j wrote:Must give Flanagans another look then....we did a day trip in the area and only saw the level near the office.....bit tight for the camptrailer we thought with all the trees.....A regular to Bigriggen the downside is my 'fur baby' has to visit rellies...
YER GIVE IT A GO AGAIN,YES THIER IS THE OTHER SIDE OF THE KIOSK,TREES THIER TO ,AND NOT MUCH GRASS ,BUT IT SEEMS MOST PPL WITH CAMPERVANS LIKE TO USE THAT AREA,THIER IS PLENTY OF ROOM FOR YOUR VAN,AND YOU WILL BE CLOSER TO THE SWIMMING HOLE,IF YOU ARE INTO SWIMMING OF COURSE,AND FISHING,I GO SWIMMING THIER ALOT IN THE SUMMER,BUT THIS 1 PARTICULAR DAY,I DROVE IN TO THE PARK,I WAS SHOCKED TO SEE SO MANY VANS,NEVER SEEN THAT MANY IN THIS PARK ,THE WHOLE TIME I HAVE LIVED AROUND THAT AREA,SO YES DEFFINITLY A VAN AREA,BUT REMEMBER AT THE MOMENT WE ARE IN DROUGHT,,BUT STILL A NICE PLACE TO CAMP,AND SO MAY NOT BE THE PRETIEST PICTURE,AND ALLOWINDG DOGS IS A BONUS TO,SO WHEN YOU DRIVE IN GO PAST THE KIOSK,THATS THE AREA.GOOD LUCK,HAVE FUN,CHEERS
gypsy rainbow
Camping King

Next

Return to Queensland