Tent - sorry if it has been done to death!

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Tent - sorry if it has been done to death!

Postby katthing » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:49 pm

Hi all,

I am a new member that is itching to go camping - have been for the last 7 years! lol

Oldest child 7, and youngest child 4 is now ready I think. Also we have a Prado on order (yippie a real 4x4, we just traded in a pretend 4 x 4 xtrail, never by a Nissan again, never gave us trouble and only 18 months old when we got rid of it!, but still not a great drive IYKWIM).

Hubby is adamant that if we do camp we will have a good tent! he wants canvas, I want room - we both don't want to spend too much $$$$$$$$$ . Hubby is a shift worker so going for a weekend here or there is just not on :( pitty 7 year old is at school now - dam school gets in the way of good times!.

So where in Brissy can you put on layby a good canvas tent? hopefully one that has a long layby term, or one where if you become a member you get a good discount???

I don't think we will be camping soon, Toyota can't even give us a date when our car could likely be delivered :( apparently people have been waiting 15 weeks!!!!! aaaaaarrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhh my very smart hubby sold/traded our car in on the Easter long weekend without checking how long the new car delivery would be :$

I want to start collecting camping stuff so that hubby can't say no to camping!

Oh dear I hope our first child's fear of dirt will hamper camping :shock:

Sorry for long post, I get talkative when I have had a glass of wine :oops:
wife to one, mum to two
katthing
Camping King

Re: Tent - sorry if it has been done to death!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:10 am

katthing wrote:Hi all,
Also we have a Prado on order (yippie a real 4x4, we just traded in a pretend 4 x 4 xtrail, never by a Nissan again, never gave us trouble and only 18 months old when we got rid of it!, but still not a great drive IYKWIM).

Its a step up, but still not a 'real' 4x4 :mrgreen: Will be perfect for what you want it for though.... anyway back on topic :lol:

I think you will be very hard pressed to find a CHEAP canvas tent. The word cheap and canvas just doesn't go together. Also once you factor in wanting lots of room, its easily going to be more than $500.

Pretty much every camping store will give you 10% straight off the bat if you just ask, sometimes they'll get you to join their club or mailing list or similar, but once you've done this, try and get MORE of a discount :lol: , just be brutal, better in your pocket than theirs. This is especially do-able of its a display model or the last one they have in stock or something.

I've never heard of a camping store doing lay-by, but then I've never asked, i'm sure most would/could. Failing that just set up a savings account, or money tin :*** Then go to the store with cash when your ready (will also give you more bargaining chips).

Hope all works out
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Family Campers » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:23 am

Hey Kate,

Anaconda do laybys, not sure of there is one near you though? I have also found a guy on eBay that is quite reasonably prices (although I haven't been looking specifically for canvas). Why does hubby insist on canvas?
Family Campers
Camping King

Postby katthing » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:33 am

HI

You are right about the Prado not being a real 4x4 but believe me it won't be doing the 'hard stuff' :grin:

I would think $500 on the cheap side, was hoping to get a great deal for around $800 or so!

Nicole hubby has ideas in his head and they can't really be swaed! lol he thinks canvas is better for water repelling - and whatever else I have no idea. His idea is if it cost more it must be better :$ I don't believe that! Also he has no idea of entry level stuff - get the best and get it now is his motto ::()

Oh boy!!!!
wife to one, mum to two
katthing
Camping King

Tent

Postby gqpatrol » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:08 am

Have a look at Downunder Camping at Salisbury (Beaudesert Rd I think from memory!) I haven't lived in Bris for nearly 5 years, but they always were pretty competitive, and we laybyed a self inflating mattress there about 6 or 7 years ago. I bought a large OZtrail Tourer 10 plus canvas tent off ebay, (from memory a camping shop in Ipswich) last year, and it landed in Rocky for under $400. It is canvas, probably not the thickest canvas, but it is very simple to put up. It would easily sleep Mum, Dad and up to about 6 kids depending on their ages. No outdoor area, but easy enough to set up a tarp. Good luck. :grin:
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby katthing » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:55 pm

Well I knew this would happen!

Hubby bought a tent at the Sydney 4x4 show :roll: typical, no looking around with him!
Not sure really what it is, I know it is canvas and only has one big room with a big awning. As much as I like tents with side rooms I would not be happy with my kids sleeping away from me in a strange place. As it is when hubby is away I wake in the morning to find my 4 year old has taken hubbys place :o
Ok now I start looking for other stuff - I love the double bunks I saw in BCF for the kids!

Thanks for the tent tips!
wife to one, mum to two
katthing
Camping King

Postby Scolers » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:44 pm

Ha Ha Ha ... in 12 months or so you will be looking for a camper trailer ... if not before.

;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby freerocketman1 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:33 pm

katthing as gq said try down under camping they have a web site under the same name, i found that they are cheaper than bcf for the same product. thier also down at kingston as well, not sure about the north side. :)
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby katthing » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:41 pm

will try down under - I love shopping around :) . Is Kingston in Brissy? only lived here something like 5 years and really only know North side, I don't venture out much! lol

Re the camper - can't pull a tinny and a camper trailer at the same time! you can throw a tent in a tinny though :armsup

Never know stranger things have happend, if hubby sees one and wants one he will get one ::() Boys and their toys and all that stuff!
wife to one, mum to two
katthing
Camping King

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:50 pm

katthing wrote:will try down under - I love shopping around :) . Is Kingston in Brissy? only lived here something like 5 years and really only know North side, I don't venture out much! lol

Re the camper - can't pull a tinny and a camper trailer at the same time! you can throw a tent in a tinny though :armsup

Never know stranger things have happend, if hubby sees one and wants one he will get one ::() Boys and their toys and all that stuff!

But you can put a tinny on top of a camper trailer.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby katthing » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:00 pm

But you can put a tinny on top of a camper trailer.

This is true - just don't tell hubby or we will be so far in debt it isn't funny! lol

Dont' know if a prado could tow both - got to have a huge Honda 4 stroke!
wife to one, mum to two
katthing
Camping King

Postby clackerz » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:22 am

Family Campers wrote:Hey Kate,

Anaconda do laybys, not sure of there is one near you though? I have also found a guy on eBay that is quite reasonably prices (although I haven't been looking specifically for canvas). Why does hubby insist on canvas?

Anaconda usually do a 12mths interest free with GE Finance (You can join on the spot when purchasing)
I did this when I upgraded a few things (you usually need to spend $500 or more) and you have bargaining power when buying a heap at once.
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby freerocketman1 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:49 pm

katthing if you have a u.b.d.street directory the one at kingston is map 222 c.20 [moss street] you will also find b.c.f beside them & around the corner there is also another camping store as well. :)
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby katthing » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:13 pm

freerocketman1 thanks for the tip, hubby has gps on his mobile (like I said boys and their toys). Will make it a must go to see !
wife to one, mum to two
katthing
Camping King

Postby andriesbike » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:47 pm

Got an Oztrail 15x12 cabin tent on eBay (brand new) for about $840 shipped insured from Syd to Melb; took 2 days!!!
Me, wife and 9 and 5 year olds have HEAPS of room (it would sleep 12 at a push)
First family camp to Mildura over Easter, loved it.
Glad we got a 6x4 trailer as this allowed us to take LOTS of stuff.
andriesbike

Next

Return to Gear Guide