Stockman Tents

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Stockman Tents

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:01 pm

Hi all

Was just reading todays "junk mail" and Kmart have a sale starting Thursday.

They have 12 person X 3 room Stocman Weekender tents for half price at $249 each. THATS HALF PRICE

Sale ends 14 March. The new catalogue isnt online yet but keep an eye on http://www.kmart.com.au/. Its on the front page of the catalogue.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Komodo » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:47 am

Whats the quality of these tents like?
Is stockman aka jackaroo? because thats the camping brand K-mart (Coles home) used to have...
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:40 am

My experience with Big W (not Kmart obviously) is that they are a good entry level tent so you can check out whether you and the family like camping but after a short time you'll want to upgrade. exepcially if you are camping away several times a year.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Re: Stockman Tents

Postby jonno » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:12 am

derek wrote:Hi all

Was just reading todays "junk mail" and Kmart have a sale starting Thursday.

They have 12 person X 3 room Stocman Weekender tents for half price at $249 each. THATS HALF PRICE

Sale ends 14 March. The new catalogue isnt online yet but keep an eye on http://www.kmart.com.au/. Its on the front page of the catalogue.

Derek

Yep we got that sale aswell , over here in WA. (Un?)Fortunately I purchased a BCF Cavalier 4man tent only a week ago before our long-weekend trip down south the Busselton with a group of friends. Looking at the KMart sale, I'm tempted to get a bigger one with those kinds of discounts! :)
jonno
Boy Scout

Postby Family Campers » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:58 pm

Being new to this camping business, I was wondering if 'you get what you pay for' in regarding to tents etc??

Maybe instead of using this as an entering level tent one should hire oen before purchasing to see what suits their needs?? I am looking into hiring from Anaconda. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks
Family Campers
Camping King

Postby mytribe » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:51 pm

I haven't hired from Anaconda, but we've bought all our camping gear from there, tents, sleeping bags, air mattresses, camp oven, yadda, yadda, yadda. :***
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo@home » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:54 pm

Depends on how often you plan on camping.

No point spending $500 on a 2 man canvas tent when you gunna go camping maybe once a year if your lucky

On the other hand no point spending $149.95 on a K-Mart 6 person special if you plan on heading bush every second weekend.

You do get what you pay for. I personally think if looking to domes then >$250 for a 4 person is the limit then staret looking to canvas "touring" tents

Hiring a tent is a gerat way to go the first few times. just check terms and conditions as some may charge for things like re packing the tent. or drying it etc.
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:00 pm

I've found that the cheaper tents in general, are not very waterproof, and they will allow moisture to seep in overnight... whether its raining or not.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby clackerz » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:25 am

Scolers wrote:My experience with Big W (not Kmart obviously) is that they are a good entry level tent so you can check out whether you and the family like camping but after a short time you'll want to upgrade. exepcially if you are camping away several times a year.

Scol.

Agreed - I bought one from BIGW when I first started camping. It did its job and I still use it occasionally ('bout 5 years ago).
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Fonty » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:54 pm

lol my kmart Stockman Weekender has done pretty well so far. Half a dozen camping trips in just over a year so far and no probs with it yet. Not bad for $70! Hasn't been tested in anything more than a bit of light drizzly rain so far though. And it's not super compact for my planned hikes but should be okay without the poles which aren't really needed. It'll get us started on our hiking- anyway we won't be going too far since I'm grossly unfit and my son is only four. :grin:
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Family Campers » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:20 pm

How often do KMart have them on sale? I wouldn't mind getting a 'cheapie' to get us started.
Family Campers
Camping King

Postby mytribe » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:42 pm

At this time of year, every couple of weeks. :grin: oh and so do Big W and Target.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Jeeps » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:18 am

My first dome tent is an oztrail 4 person for $99, it's still going strong after 7 years and about 60 trips :)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide