campin stories

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

campin stories

Postby jasonb » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:52 am

come on guys tell us about some of those funny camping stories you must have hidden away
are we there yet ?
jasonb
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:47 am

This one time, at band camp.......

:lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby jasonb » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:11 pm

you watch too much american pie :*** :+ :+
are we there yet ?
jasonb
Captain Camping

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:52 pm

Was going camping with no power. Had the gas light a couple of spare mantels but to be safe I checked the torch to make sure. It didn't light up so got some new batteries. Getting dark, slip batteries into torch - no light it was the bulb. No problem get the gas light out, the mantels broken. It's getting dark, look for the spare mantels but it's now too dark to find them.
Finish cooking etc by the light of the open fire.
The moral - even if you have belt and braces you can still get caught with your pants down. :?
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jeeps » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:06 pm

About 2 months ago we went camping for the first time with bub. We found a nice open shaded spot where she could toddle around and we could see her. Checked for green ants below, widow makers above, wood on the ground for spiders and snakes and given the clear :)

Later on she followed dad around as we looked for kindling for the fire and she walked straight over to a paper wasp nest and grabbed a hold of it :shock: we counted 18 stings all over her hands and arms and chest and face.

After 20 minutes she was fine, the choc paddle pop seemed to help ;) and we now know that she's not allergic to wasps :)

Moral: No matter how much you can prepare or setup sometimes it's gonna go wrong :)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:15 pm

2 years ago we went camping on the beach at Teewah with some friends. We had sunshine the whole trip and it was nice. On the last day we spent most of the day slowly packing up the campsite, it was hot and luckily i bought my tarp setup to keep some shade happening. With the trailors loaded and the vehicles packed we just started to pull down the tarp when the heavens opened up. All out gear except the tarp was packed and it was bucketing down. After about 15-20 minutes of standing under the tarp under HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY rain we decided that we could either keep standing around all afternoon waiting for the rain to stop or quickly pull it down, all the poles, ridge poles, ropes, pegs etc and throw it all in the trailor and get a little wet. So we started to pull it down, it only took 6-7 minutes to get it all down with 4 of us doing it but we were drenched in no time.

So after 5 days on the beach, we got soaked to the bone in the last 7 minutes at the campsite trying to pull down the same thing that was supposed to keep us dry! Oh well, it was worth it :)

:armsup
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby clackerz » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:21 pm

This is several years ago (pre wife & kids) camping with some mates....
Set up a camp fire on the river bank and were sitting around after dark and we proceeded to tell a mate (very gullable) about a "murder" in the campsite and that ghost still haunts the area. We then talked another mate into pretending to go back to the tents to get more food/drinks etc, but really cross the river to the other side and and hide in the scrub making noises, rustling trees etc.....
Well it worked alright it scared the s**t out of the guy...he really thought it was haunted, and thought the ghost was out to get him.
The bloke in the bushes on the other side ended up scaring himself that much that he fell in the river and lost a shoe in the process of trying to get back to the other side.....
We rolled around for ages laughing at these two blokes....and it is still talked about today!
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:24 pm

We went away last year with the same friends in the last story (who own a toyota) up to the lake on the coast for a few nights. Met up with a few other 'Jeepers' and we had some fun driving some inland dirt roads looking at the scenery, then up to the township for lunch then down the beach for a swim then back to the campsite by afternoon. The Toyota mate was telling all the jeepers about how good it is to have a nice decent 4wd unlike us 'jeepers' in swb 4wd's with the rough ride ;)

On the way home, about 200klm of hwy, one tyre started to egg and then it was about to blow so we pulled over and changed it and away we went. About 25 mins later same thing, so we slowed down as it was a terrible vibration and there were no more spare tyres :shock:

We had to do the remaining 1.5 hrs 100klm/hr trip at about 60-70klm/hr. It took a while longer but we all made it home safe and sound. It turned out that he had a bad batch of tyres but i bagged him all the same for having a toyota :)

Moral: Take it easy, never rush and always have a backup plan and don't bag out a jeeper :)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby clackerz » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:30 pm

Jeeps wrote:2 years ago we went camping on the beach at Teewah with some friends. We had sunshine the whole trip and it was nice. On the last day we spent most of the day slowly packing up the campsite, it was hot and luckily i bought my tarp setup to keep some shade happening. With the trailors loaded and the vehicles packed we just started to pull down the tarp when the heavens opened up. All out gear except the tarp was packed and it was bucketing down. After about 15-20 minutes of standing under the tarp under HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY rain we decided that we could either keep standing around all afternoon waiting for the rain to stop or quickly pull it down, all the poles, ridge poles, ropes, pegs etc and throw it all in the trailor and get a little wet. So we started to pull it down, it only took 6-7 minutes to get it all down with 4 of us doing it but we were drenched in no time.

So after 5 days on the beach, we got soaked to the bone in the last 7 minutes at the campsite trying to pull down the same thing that was supposed to keep us dry! Oh well, it was worth it :)

:armsup

I had a similar experience, but we woke up to the downpour. Everything was saturated. Within 30mins tents were now becoming flooded (the water was starting to rise to the doors of my car) All our stuff was outside. I was camping with my 1st son and 2 other couples and their kids. All of our chairs BBQ's tables etc were out and not under any cover.
We had to move all the kids to 1 tent and proceed to pack everything. Once the last tent was ready to come down we had to put the kids into the cars (oh yeah they loved that!) Everything went into our cars saturated, the tents were packed up saturated. Once packed up we all stood around in the pouring rain laughed for a few minutes at the situation and went on our merry way home!
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:07 am

HAHA it only makes you stronger. And to appreciate nature's uncertainty......... and to appreciate how nice the house is in bad weather :)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby reef » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:15 am

Hubby and I went camping at Termeil on NSW South Coast - 4wded in, in our old troopy- pre kids, just our Staffy - had finally remembered everything for once and had a set up, where for the first time, we stood back and said yep awesome - very happy and looking forward to a great week of camping. Grabbed our mountain bikes to do some exploring, rode for about 5 minutes and realised the Staffy was lagging behind very slowly - not like her at all. Checked her out and and she was not so great. so headed back to campsite, she just collapsed in exhaustion. Thought we'd let her sleep for a bit and kept an eye on her. She started to swell up like a frog. Chucked ( and i mean chucked) everything in the back of the troopy and took off - good 15 min hard 4wding to get out. People were staring at us strangely as we left, put all this stuff up and then rip it down 30 minutes later. Back to the Staffy, poor thing she was swelling up so quickly and getting bumped around getting out of the place, by the time we got out of there she had swelled up so much you couldn't see her eyes. Raced into the nearest town, found a vet, called the after hours number and over he came. She got a needle and started unswelling straight away. Was apparently bitten by either a spider or snake. By the time we got out of there it was pitch black - looked at each, in the back of the car at the jumbled mess and decided to not to try and set up again in the dark so headed home. A month later I was pregnant - never to try our 2 person set up again!
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:51 am

I am terrified of snakes. One camping trip many years back I was returning from the "bush toilet" just on dusk when I tripped on a piece of discarded iron. I heard the hiss too late and before I knew it the horrid thing had wrapped itself around my lower leg. It was like in the movies - I was so terrified I tried to scream but no sound escaped my mouth. I spent the rest of the night trying to sleep in the car with my legs up on the dashboard. At first light I called out to the rest of the group that I was out of there, and took off - my feet not having touched the ground since the dreadful night before.

Months later my partner eventually convinced me to return to the same place for a quiet weekend for two. Still fretting about the snake episode I made him promise that if he heard me yell he'd have to be there within 2 seconds to rescue me. He assured me that at the slightest hint of trouble he would be at my side. So we arrived and started unpacking our gear. I was carrying a few items from the car to the campsite, a distance of about 100 metres. One of the items I was carrying was the gas bottle. Just as I reached the camp, I tripped and dropped everything, including the gas bottle, which inadvertently turned itself on. I called out for Stuart to help and, hearing the "hissing" he charged in armed with an axe and a shovel, ready to slay the serpent! What a hero! At least I knew he was true to his word when he said he'd rescue me, even if it was only from a gas bottle.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:10 pm

Two stories from the same fishing trip, where accommodation was camping (there’s the link!)

Part 1

Was up Dartmouth with brother-in-law trolling for trout. We were in the upper reaches where the dam isn’t more than 20-30m wide (it’s probably a river). The weather was abysmal, wind blowing a gale and raining cats’n’dogs but having come all this way we were going fishing anyway. Well, after a few hours trolling along not doing any good and freezing our butts off, my BIL decided that the old purple fluffy dressing gown of his mothers that was usually used to put over fish in the fish box would assist in keeping some of the wind off him. So he dons the garment over his coat (he a big guy and looks utterly ridiculous) and a few minutes later we round a bend and see another boat coming towards us. The only live thing we’ve seen all morning. At that very moment, before he could remove the dressing gown his reel bursts into life as the rod bend over double. Without a moments hesitation he jumps up and retrieves the fish as we sidle by this other boat. As we were busy we didn’t see the other boats reaction, not that he would have been able to look at them in the eye anyway! From this point on he was known as the “Dartmouth Poofter”

Part 2

Can’t remember if it was that day or the next, but we’d got back to camp after fishing and had a quick bite of pan fried sausages… nothing else, no bread even, just the sausages and some dead horse (sauce) but as the weather was still terrible we decided to call it a night (this was about 6pm!) and climb into our tent. The wind was howling thru the trees and the tent shaking so bad we thought it was going to take off. Shortly after we heard some weird noises outside the tent. No way we where getting out to investigate so we left whatever it was to it and hoped it would go away!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Return to General Chit-Chat