Buying a camping fridge what is best?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Buying a camping fridge what is best?

Postby gcm » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:48 am

We are looking to buying a camping fridge. We have examined both 3 way gas and 12/24/240V systems. We would like to know the pro's and con's of both options.
Things to know - We don't have a dual battery system. Our budget is up to $1000, trips will be up to 5 days.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks
GCM
gcm

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:32 pm

I use an ice box (52L one), cost $190, the manufacturers claim it keeps ice frozen up to 5 days, i've had it 'frozen' for a good 3 days, and watery but still very cold up to 5 days. This was in 35-40 degree smeltering heat just a few weeks ago over xmas. Friend of mine had a gas/12v/240v one, he either couldn't figure out how to work it properly or it wasn't that cold, ended up sticking his meat in my ice box :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Onedodger » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:41 pm

For a grand you will not get anything really good that is new however look at 2nd hand compressor type fridges and a power pack. As long as you drive each day a compressor fridg will be ok without the power pack. However if you intend to stay in one place for more than a day without driving then the three way job would be best. As long as you do not venture into the above 30% heat spots.
Boy do I love this second childhood.
Regards Dodg.
Onedodger
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:52 pm

Depending one hwere you are camping you may not have to spend as much as $1000.

Like Ozzycamperboy I also have an ice box (82ltr cost $180 ... sorry Ozy) and as I mainly keep to cravan parks where there is elctricity I carry a 90lts Bar Fridge.

Everything goes into the icebox at home and when we get to the caravan site most perishable go from the ice box to the bar fridge.

Also, most iceboxes will keep perishable quite cool for u to 5-7 days ... it just depends on the outside temp. and how often you can fill it up with ice.

Hope this helps.

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:23 pm

Scolers wrote:Like Ozzycamperboy I also have an ice box (82ltr cost $180 ... sorry Ozy)

What brand?? Mines tropical, u can park a troopie on top of em 8) ... plus I only paid $90 really cuz I scored a $100 gift voucher after Repco's scandalous sale's ploy's last year :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:29 pm

Mines Kookaburra ... I was VERY lucky with the price ... right place, right time sort of thing. IMO they are just as strong as the Tropical.

However, I would say the Tropicals are certainly one of the better brands but they are also more expensive ... I beleive they stay cooler for longer.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:40 pm

this might actually help, 3 way Narva for sale:

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modul ... hp?t=66203

have no idea if they ne good or not, just poped up during my broswing and though if this thread :lol:
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Cheiffy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:17 am

I am running a 60ltr Engel/ARB fridge/freezer combo and I believe it is the ducks guts when I go away. Admittably it was expensive ($1700 with bag), almost twice that of your budget, but I do not experience anymore wet food and the Bundys are icy cold no matter how long I've been away.
As for power supply, you are supplied with 2 styles of cords, 1 x 12v and 1 x 240v and each one plugs directly into the fridge which eliminates the need for an invertor or the like. I would suggest that you also look into an extra power supply i.e dual batteries or genny if you do not camp where powers supplied.

Hope this helps

Cheiffy
Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:09 pm

and the Bundys are icy cold no matter how long I've been away.

I'd have thought that being in QLD ANY Bundie would be nowhere less than an hours drive away ... you'r having us on Cheiffy ... :P :)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Cheiffy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:44 pm

Your right Scol,

It can sometimes rain Bundy as well LOL.
But like the scouts always say, BE PREPARED. Flat tyres, broken timing belt etc, these things can often add extra time to a trip so extra supplies must be carried. Be buggered if I am going to walk anywhere without my Bundy.

Cheers

8) Cheiffy
Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:46 pm

lol Cheiffy,

I know what you mean ... I always take a carton of beer (brand changes regularly) mainly to make sure that I have my current drinking brand with me as I prefer imported stuff or good quality aussie beer.

Don't want to be caught out!

:shock:

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to Gear Guide