Melbourne to Perth... And back again?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Melbourne to Perth... And back again?

Postby Komodo@home » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:37 pm

Guys,

Kel and I are planning a trip over to WA. Neither of us have been to WA before and we are wondering wether we should drive or not.

before you say no way fly or yes definately drive heres the thing.
Both of us can only get 2 weeks (10 working days) off work so that makes flying more attractive.

BUT

Both of us also drive (white) company vehicles. Thus free fuel!

A few people have told us it will take between 3 and 4 days of GOOD driving each way and that driving at night is suicide across the nullabor.

So driving leave us with only 6 - 7 days in WA.
But driving gives us the benefit of a car to get around in. Plus we can have a look around SA as well on the trip over. But obviously with a tight schedual like we have it doesnt give us a great amount of time for exploring on the trip with good amount of time actually in WA.

So you advice would be appreciated. Does free fuel and a tighter schedual out weigh paying airfairs and hiring a car and spending more time in WA?
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:15 am

6-7 days doesn't sound too bad, but I've never been to Perth. IMO driving is half the fun on trips, if your not paying for the car/fuel I'd say go for it :armsup
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Komodo@home » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:43 am

Hrmmm I'm keen. Kels not so sure.

The other question is...

Camping along the trip along the nullarbor. Is it popular? and is it safe? (I know stupid question but there are parts of australia people who will camp nearly any where have told me are not safe to camp for various reasons)
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo@home » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

By not safe I mean Ive been warned that Port Augusta is quite notorious for the locals knocking stuff off from campsites and caravans - thats not even on the nullarbor yet so i could imagine it could go one of two ways once we get on the nullarbor
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby reef » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:25 am

We travelled Australia for our honeymoon - loved it - never had any problems with our stuff anywhere in the whole of Oz. If you are going to stop all the time along the way to WA its great, stuff to see, people to meet so it was ok for us on the way over there, on the way back only stopped when we had to - hated it. If you just want to get there I'd fly, if you want to make a trip of it I'd drive.
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Jok » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:00 pm

Well I spent six months in WA (and only scratched the surface)so I reckon 2 weeks is not worth the drive.
Having said that, if you do drive there is so much to look at and places to
visit that you will have a ball.
Definately park up at night rather than drive the Nullabor, far too many roos, also the bight is well worth checking out
The Big 4 at Port Augusta is meant to be ok, and cheap fuel at Penong
near Ceduna-have heard it is bio diesel, dunno, it worked in my GU.
There are lots of places I'd suggest looking at, especially near Esperance
but you will have to work out which areas to visit.
If you want any info just give me a yell.
Good luck, I wish I was still travelling around(gotta put kids thru school!)
Jok
Jok
Camping King

Postby Fonty » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:40 pm

Are you likely to get more time off together in the near future to drive? Or will you always be restricted to two weeks?
Will you have your company car and free fuel when you do get more time for the drive? I don't know how your company works but often things like company cars in wage packages are renegotiated fairly regularly so you may have more time to drive next holiday but then you'll have to pay for the fuel. Use the resource while you have it.
If it was me I'd drive and allow plenty of time for the trip up and back and plan ahead exactly what you will do with the days I did have in WA itself. I drove Melbourne to Gold Coast in 12 days with my younger daughters, we had six days at the theme parks, had plenty of fun at night at the fun parks in town etc and relaxed at the beach on the days not Theme Parking, it was all planned ahead and pretty relaxing. That was with four days on the road but only one driver.
You've got further to go but two drivers but it will be more tiring I'd bet. And you've got Kel's decision to think about too. To get the most out of a drive you'd both have to be keen on it I reckon.
The main thing is that you both enjoy your holiday and make the most of that two weeks of freedom!

Andrew.
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo@home » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:04 pm

Thanks fort he replies so far guys (and keep em coming)

Fonty - I wont have an issue as far as company car is concerned ever - its a family business and Im the manager (structural steel fabrication) I require a company car to do my job.
Kel works for nestle - and she will have to forfit her vehicle when she has children basically

2 weeks realistically is about the most I will ever get off because of work unfortunately
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Fonty » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:19 am

Make a deal with Kel then.. once by air and once by car. The advantage of going by air later would be looking out for cheap tickets in the meantime. You could also make your trip by car a bit of a recon, enjoy the drive, check out some of the major tourist sites and grab some local info on other areas for the next trip. Then when you fly over in cheap comfort you'll be able to get the most out of your hire car for the full two weeks.
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:17 pm

The time frame is too short to drive. 3 days to Perth means a lot of time driving and none sighting seeing. It's a long way to drive and you would see only a few spots in and around Perth and miss the rest of the State. You then have to drive over the same ground on the way back. If Perth is the go fly and hire a car. If you want to see WA drive and take a few months. Camping on the Nullabor is OK as the Road Houses provide powered sites, showers etc. A lot of people pull off into wayside stops to free camp. In 2005 Mrs Bravo and I spent 3 months in WA and have to go back to see what we missed last time. :grin:
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo@home » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:40 pm

Unfortunately months at a time isnt on the cards in the immediate future (thogh in future years it possibly will be as I will hire a junior to do some of my role eventually)

3 days across to perth judge a comp then we'll spend about 9 days travelling from perth to esperance then 6 days travelling back across the nullarbor.

This is about as good as its gunna get for a while for us. But hey we are 22 and 25 so we still have a bit of time up our sleeves for touring ;)

Its also not that uncommon for me to travel 800-1000ks in a day in mountain country so this drive should be ok
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:18 am

It will take you a minimum of 4 days each way. That leaves 6 days in Perth ... 2 of which you'll be doing bugga all as you will be knackered from a minimum of 8-10hrs driving. The roads are fine ... but four days of driving ... 6 of R&R ... and four back again are very taxing. You say you travel up 1000k's in a day ... BUT THAT'S NOT FOUR DAYS OF CONSTANT DRIVING. It's taxing ... and if you haven't done it before I'd be very wary ... it could stuff your trip. By the third day you just want it to end ... don't forget there's no site seeing on the way as you are literally just pushing to get to Perth. Honestly, if you can't get more time off i wouldn't even contemplate it.

Apologies for taking the role of 'fun police' ... 8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Scolers » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:22 am

Didn't answer the Nullarbor question ... it's safe, it's ok but it's also BASIC. You'll need to plan well ahead and if you want to stop in facilitated accomodation make sure you book ahead ... winter is a very busy time and places can be booked out months in advance. If you don't book and ... say ... want to stop at dingaling and find you can't then it's about another 3 hrs to the next place (minimum) and if you've already done 10 hrs driving ... well ... dare I say more?

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby CCC » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:17 am

ooooh :shock: I would fly and save the bigger, well planned trip for later on to enjoy it more :armsup
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CCC » Thu May 03, 2007 2:01 pm

any thoughts on which way your going to go about it?
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat