Needing advice in buying a camper trailer

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Needing advice in buying a camper trailer

Postby elements » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:24 pm

My wife and I are moving from the tent to the trailer and have looked at lots of trailers but we're confused. We have a possible 7 week trip in August ( but mostly it will be weekends away) , nothing too difficult or off road, national parks and stuff. We're tossing up between the OZtrail Camper 9 (complete with drifter kitchen and storgae box) and the Customline deluxe off road camper but with a VERY basic kitchen. ( both come with a sun room) The OZ trailer is 10oz canvas and the customline we're told is 15oz. We've read some feedback on this website saying that the 10oz may not be as durable as the thicker canvas but then the 10oz is lighter for transport? Does anyone have either of these campaers that could shed some light on making a decision this week. Of interest both are priced around the $8,200 on road fully optioned. As realtive new comers to camper trailers we welcome any input you may have and thank you in advance for your help. All the best. Y&T
elements

Postby freerocketman1 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:49 pm

for me personaly i would go the 15once, because it should last longer,be stronger & yes it is heavier but that isnt allways a bad thing.best thing to do is go around & look at other camper manufacturers as up here in bris you can get a good quality camper starting around $4500.good luck hope you find what you want.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:59 pm

Have you looked at Camel Campers. See mine at http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/homeawayfromhome.htm

Happy to answer any specific questions. Roof is 15 oz and sides are 12 oz.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby elements » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:37 pm

Thank you for your help and advice . We saw the Camel at the syd show last weekend. There was some design features we were concerned about ie no gas piston under the bed for easy access from within the tent area and the kitchen wasnt up to the standard of the drifter kitchen (in the Oztrail camper 9 tent)
Can I put a dirfter kithcen into the Camel? Is the bed size the same as the Oztrail camper 9? What Camel camper compares in size to the Oztrail camper 9? I'll give them a call tomororw but you seem to have lots on knowledge. The heavier oz the better it seems. Makes sense!

Thank you Y&T
elements

Postby elements » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:39 pm

also 4.5K sounds amazing. The specials at the show last weekend had the cheapest at around 8K?
elements

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:50 pm

Have you looked at the Camel website http://www.camelgroup.com.au/default.asp Heaps of info there.

Mine is the Nomad on road with an off road suspension. They will fit the gas lifter under the bed for you. I have it myself.

They have several models of kitchen from a very basic to a super deluxe with stainless steel sink and three burner stove. You can get it without the kitchen and install your own.

The bed is a full size queen bed and mine has about six inches of spare room around the mattress so the bed itself is bigger.

If you look at mine you will see that the tent area is huge at 13 feet long.

I looked hard and long before settling on thios one and I couldnt be happier. I guess the real test will come when I hit the snow with it in a few months.

Go to http://www.camelgroup.com.au/product.as ... 0On%20Road on their website and click on the Accessories and Add Ons button and you can simply click on those extras you want and it will calculate the price.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby elements » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:21 pm

Hey thanks heaps for your help....will definately check it out on the website you have recommended.

catch up again soon with more questions no doubt. Thanks again.

The griswalds!!

[/img]
elements

Postby bockstar » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:14 pm

Hire one first. You'll get an idea on what you like/dislike before laying down the big bucks.

Challenge Campers in Rydalmere (Sydney) hire their onroader and offroaders.

Cheers.
bockstar
Captain Camping

Try before you buy, why not?

Postby shasa_pa » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:08 pm

Hire a camper trailer for a weekend...try before you buy. It's something that you are going to invest a fair amount of money into andthat you are hoping it to last a while, beside when holidaying, you'll have to live in it!! It is the only way you'll really find out. THAT'S WHAT WE DID AND HAVE NEVER LOOKED BACK. (ESP. WITH 3 KIDS)
15oz canvas. Ask the manufacturer when you buy one, where the canvas was made. Australia or China. We found that 13/14oz is usually made in China. Very light weight too. 15 oz is heavier duty.
Swing out kitchen with stove is beneficial too.
Cheers Shasa_pa (Flinders & Beyond Camper Trailer Hire)Haudraulic brakes are good.
shasa_pa
Boy Scout

Camel

Postby Hissy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:18 am

How is your trailer search going?

We put a Camel top onto our existing trailer. Chose the 13ft with annex.

Yes the gas strut might be nice but to be honest. Once we arrive on a site.
I unload the bikes out of the trailer the kids go for a ride.

The wife and I empty bedding and tables from the trailer before setting up the tent.

To this day I have not had to access the trailer again from under the bed.

Consider the setup and space advantages before all of the little nick naks.
Remember it is camping.

Camping is supposed to be fun and if you do not forget at least one thing per trip then you are taking it to serious.

Camping this weekend at East van park, the weather will be great.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Re: Camel

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:57 pm

Hissy wrote:Camping is supposed to be fun and if you do not forget at least one thing per trip then you are taking it to serious.

I must be taking my camping very seriously, I can't remember the last time I forgot to take something.

I thought that was the idea of having a camper, so that it could remain packed and ready to go at short notice giving you less opportunity to forget things.

You have me frowning now Hissy, maybe I am not having enough fun camping.

Cheers...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:01 pm

Yes Gypsy Lady it is a good idea i have a second everything packed in my camping gear and it stays there until the next time,nothing worse especially if you aren`t near civilisation and you have no can opener or worse ! no toilet paper.If i`m at a good camp site with water/sinks i even wash it all so it is done and it comes out of the car into the storage room.
I guess Hissy we are just too serious LOL.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:57 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:Yes Gypsy Lady it is a good idea i have a second everything packed in my camping gear and it stays there until the next time,nothing worse especially if you aren`t near civilisation and you have no can opener or worse ! no toilet paper.If i`m at a good camp site with water/sinks i even wash it all so it is done and it comes out of the car into the storage room.
I guess Hissy we are just too serious LOL.

Seems like that may well be the case PJ. I think I would be seriously upset if I found that I had left the toilet paper at home, OMG!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:23 am

Yeah junk mail doesnt work as a very good replacement for the good old fashioned sh!te tickets either LOL

I dont find that Kel and I forget things as much as we go "oh it would have been good if we had brought..." but in reality if we did bring everything we might as well have stayed home. I guess thats why mum and dad have a holiday house - they dont forget anything then LOL. Plus it comes in handy for kel and I when we just want to get away for a quiet weekend without thinking about anything at all - its especially good if we can only get away for one night
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:48 pm

Komodo wrote:Yeah junk mail doesnt work as a very good replacement for the good old fashioned sh!te tickets either LOL

I dont find that Kel and I forget things as much as we go "oh it would have been good if we had brought..." but in reality if we did bring everything we might as well have stayed home. I guess thats why mum and dad have a holiday house - they dont forget anything then LOL. Plus it comes in handy for kel and I when we just want to get away for a quiet weekend without thinking about anything at all - its especially good if we can only get away for one night

Not all of us are lucky enough Komodo to have parents with a holiday house. Lucky you, hope you don't take it for granted....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Camper Trailers