What tents do you own?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Postby clackerz » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:59 pm

Family Campers wrote:I bought a tent today :lol:

It is a Thor tent for 12 people. I got it from eBay, it is brand new.

Has anyone got one of these tents?

I can't wait for it to arrive. :***

I've seen those on my visits to eBay. Haven't got one, nor seen one set up etc.
Let us know when you get it, and once you've set it up post up your thoughts and some pics.
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Owey » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:53 am

Family Campers wrote:We are new to this camping business, so have come to this site for tips, ideas and some laughs! :***

We are a family of 5 (2 adults+3 kids), We are looking at getting a large tent (10+ people). The more room the saner I will be :grin:

We are also new camping. We have 6 in our family (2 adult + 4 kids incl 1 baby) and were also after a cabin syle tent. Just wondering what brands are good, and which ones to keep away from. Happy to spend a little more on a quality product, if it is justifiable.

We have looked at the Oztrail Chateau, Diamantina Stamford, Great Outdoors Citadel or even the Oztrail Commune systems (leaning toward canvas though), but open to all sugestions.

Thanks.

Owey :grin:
Owey

Postby reef » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:45 am

We have a Citadel, really good for us as we have 5. we bought it brand new and got a good price. Really easy to set up amazingly. Any specific questions I can help with about it just ask.
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Owey » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback and information.

Rays Outdoors have them on sale at the 4X4 Supershow for $1,000. I have no idea if that is a good price or not. How long does it take to put up (with how many people) ? Also does it handle the wild and wet weather well?

Thanks

Owey

[/quote]
Owey

Postby reef » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:54 pm

That is a price ! Does it include the sunroom ? We got the sunroom as well, very handy in rainy weather. We find it easy to put up in about 50 mins that includes us putting down ultrameash under it and all the pegs in and kids running around but we have practised heaps of times at home as well. Boots reckon it should only take 30 mins but they dont have 3 kids running around.
reef
Captain Camping

Postby reef » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:10 pm

Oh forgot the second part or you question, yeah it is fantastic in a good old summer storm, rain, wind and lighting. Going to put a tarp 6x9 over it next summer to try and keep it a bit cooler, when we save up enough money for all the extra poles , ropes etc. Oh and yeah I meant to say that is a great price, a very great price.
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Owey » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:52 pm

reef wrote:Going to put a tarp 6x9 over it next summer to try and keep it a bit cooler.

:+
Thanks again for you info. That price didn't include the sunroom. I think it is about another $250 again. Unfortunately missed out on the special, couldn't afford to purchase it just yet. Save, save, save now. I think this tent might be the one to choose though. It sounds as though it has served you well. How long have you had yours for?

Yeah I had read somewhere (probably in here) that a tarp over the top helps out a fair bit with the heat, not to mention protecting the tent from the birds and tree sap etc... :shock:

And with the kids running around thing, :*** i know how you feel. probably another 30 min again for me :-bang
Owey

Postby reef » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:12 am

only had ours 6 months and I love it
reef
Captain Camping

Postby gypsy rainbow » Fri May 25, 2007 2:13 am

I have an oztrail aswell ,a fourman and u can standup in it to,i like the idea of it having pockets tp put your stuff in,thier is 2 outside aswell,what a great idea,just have to remember to take out the stuff out of them pockets before packing the tent up lol,and have never had a problem with condensation,it also has very sturdy zips,zips and unzips easily,so yes i recomend oztrail to everyone.someone mentioned canvas tents,i miss the old canvas,thier good for long trips of course,they take a little time to put up,an :?# d take alot of room ,but stll the same ,thier great old sturdy tents.
gypsy rainbow
Camping King

Postby sunny_coast_cpl » Mon May 28, 2007 11:56 am

We have a 6 person OZtrail dome tent for camping that is more than 4 days and we use a Denali 2 Person Hiking Tent for smaller trips 1- 3 days. We also have different size tarps depending on the length of stay or if we are doing a road trip which requires pack ups every couple of days.
sunny_coast_cpl

Previous

Return to Gear Guide