Espresso machine on second battery?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Espresso machine on second battery?

Postby garbage » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:00 pm

OK, I'm going to hang my head in shame about even thinking about bringing my espresso machine camping, but here goes anyway! My wife has been complaining about the lack of good coffee while we're out camping. She suffers from mild caffeine addiction. Now, I have a smallish household espresso machine with built in coffee grinder. I had a look at the back of the machine and it says 1300W which means bugger all to me as I'm not very electrically inclined. I'm hoping Komodo or someone else is able to shed some light on this one.

My questions:

Will this run off a deep cycle battery?

Is there a way to calculate how much amp hours this appliance would be using?
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:36 pm

1300w is alot :mrgreen:

You could prolly run it of one battery, but you will need a mother of an inverter (changes 12v into 240v). Most inverters are only around 400-600w, and some are only 100w. The largest i've seen advertised was about 800w but i'm sure thats increased since I last had a look.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby garbage » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:11 pm

Thanks OzzyCamperBoy!

The machine does three things - it grinds, steams and pumps the coffee through, but never all at the same time. Is the 1300W the amount of power it uses when doing all three things at the same time?
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby mytribe » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:00 pm

Wow, you're going to take an espresso machine camping...that's not camping :***
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby garbage » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:27 pm

I know, I know, bring it on! :grin:
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Kramer » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:06 am

:*** :*** I can't believe that you want to take an espresso machine camping, and I am even more amazed that there is a camping version, but you will need a hand grinder to grind the coffee: http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/produ ... cmpn/70100

do a search on google for a camping espresso machine.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:21 am

I want to camp next to Garbage ... hang on .. that doesn't sound right!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:15 pm

1300W will be the amount of power (or VA) used on cycle (one expects during heating the water). Your heating element in expresso machine draws a lot of power because it has to create heat under pressure.

1300W is going to require a fairly substancial inverter - though you should be able to get away with a modified sine wave inverter.

For the amount of time you would have it on, say 15 mins to allow preheat and to make a cuppa or two, using a modified sine wave inverter with an efficiency up aroun 80% you would draw close to 30Ah from a battery.

IMO get one like displayed in the link above and put it on your gas stove, we have one that does 2 cups at one - brilliant!
The other thing is those all in one machines are nice (we have a gaggia at work) - but the true beauty in good coffee is a coffee machine with out a pump but a manual handle - much better coffee as you get control over the flow rate thus a better creme :P so something like a LaPavoni might be better for your wife. Do an E-Bay search for stove top expresso machines.

Oh and Dark Maragogype is a very very nice bean. Dark Mocha is also good if she is a caffine addict. :?#

You can get inverters upto 1500W from 12V in modified sine better option is to run a 24V system - your current draw for the same amount of power wont be as high.

stove top coffee machine
stove top coffee maker 2

Enjoy!

Oh and http://www.thebeanery.com.au ;)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby garbage » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:04 pm

Yikes, 30Ah for a cuppa! Probably not a practical option then! Might just have to stay at powered sites or forgo the machine or even bring along pre-made shots for reheating! Thanks for all the responses! :grin:
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby elpaulos » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:47 pm

garbage wrote:I know, I know, bring it on! :grin:

OK- You'll have to put your expresso machine as far away from the jakuzzi as possible. Also while the french maid is cleaning your "tent" you can all sit next to the expresso with your brandy glasses reminising about the plights of your twin engine cessna.
One more thing: What hand do you use to flog those varmit rubbish collectors with?

Please don't take this seriously. You kind of said "Bring it on"
91 Landcruiser.
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Postby Fonty » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:17 pm

Wow I just checked out my 80cm tv and dvd recorder.. 160 watts and 23 watts respectively. I can't wait to see them set up in my tent! Wooo!

hehe elpaulos reminds me of a doco I saw once of a climbing expedition up one of those monster mountains, they got to a peak and and somehow managed to carry extra gear to make a dining table with a nice white table cloth, wineglasses and a very civilised meal. They were still dressed up to in all the skins they could carry of course and the icy winds were howling around them but it was an awesome spectacle.

They didn't bring an espresso machine with them though. :armsup

/me can't resist 'bringing it on' all in fun as well. :***
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Re: Espresso machine on second battery?

Postby stevo. » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:59 pm

garbage wrote:My wife has been complaining

get a swag that fits one 8)
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Komodo@home » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:51 pm

Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby CCC » Sat May 05, 2007 5:37 pm

I have just come across this on Ebay :lol: and its along the lines of this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Coleman-Coffee-C ... dZViewItem
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide