camping and fishing

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

camping and fishing

Postby fishy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:56 pm

Hey guys i was just looking for some help. i am looking at taking my wife away for 2 nights camping somewhere preferably around the hunter/ newcastle region NSW, Or anywhere under prob 3 hours drive from sydney. I have read through previous posts and looked on other sites (including npws and state forrests) and i am not having any luck finding the type of destination i am looking for. I am looking for a camp site, it doesn't have to have any amenities but drop toilets would be handy. It has to be accessable by 2wd and not too much of a hike from the car but most of all it has to have a decent fishing place and not be crowded so we can have privacy and not worry about annoying others. I am willing to pay under $10 bucks a night. Does anyone have any places that fit what i am looking for? Or any similar ideas.
Any help appreciated

Cheers
Luke
fishy

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:00 pm

When you say you've read other posts on the site, have you read any of mine about Mungo brush? i usually rave on about how good it is :mrgreen: , or you could try stockton beach. Not sure about the quality etc of the campsite but have heard the fishing there is great. I'm going up there sumtime in march.

Mungo brush is just north of newy, about 3-3.5 hrs drive from sydney. Its a NP, and within 200mtrs of beach, and 500m of lakes. Let me know if it sounds good and will post up more info :wink:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby fishy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:14 pm

No i missed that one, Yea sounds good, whats the fishing like at Mungo? Is it fine for 2wd
Any oher info you have about Mungo would be appreciated

Cheers
Luke
fishy

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:17 pm

well, i WILL do a full report thingo on it oneday in the camp review section, i promise (just soo tired.... and lazy :oops: ... moslty lazy lol)

I cant comment too much on the fishing at Mungo, frankly, I suck at it big time and have the attention span of a small child, so after 2-3 mins of holding the rod I generally run off chasing a crab or sumthing :mrgreen: , but you can fish on the beach, talked to sum pro looking fisher dudes last time and they said it was good. A friend of mine caught a good sized flathead in the bay sorta part of Tea Gardens/Hawkes Nest which are the towns that borders the NP. You can get there in 2wd, tar road all the way then 100mtrs of dirt in the campsites. If you do have a 4B you can drive on the beach though :wink: .

I've seen people fishing in the lake, but not myself. Seen little ones teaming around the bank though. The lake is awesum, we walked atleast 400m out and its only waist deep :shock: (has deeper parts, theres a few boats on it usually).

I've only ever been around christmass time, and it gets busy as from 27th- onwards (we go from 23rd, have the place to ourselves :mrgreen: ) but if you steer clear of public/school holiys it shouldnt be crowded. There's atleast 10 camp sites there but I like banksia green the best as its literally 20m from the sand of the beach, and about 200m to the water.
Any more Q's feel free to ask.

PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby fishy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:21 pm

Damn looks good, i think thats where i am going.

Cheers for the info

Luke
fishy

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:23 pm

More pictures here. 1st 2 rows are from mungo (lotsa flys in summer :shock: )

http://photobucket.com/albums/y285/RockyF70/Nature/
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Try Wee Jasper

Postby howaka » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:36 am

Try Wee Jasper Reserves on the banks of the Goodradigbee River and Micalong Creek. 5 diff areas to choose from. Cheap. No bookings required. Only one reserve has hot showers. 3.5 hours Sydney 1 hour Canb, 1 Hour Tumut, 45 mins Yass. ph 02 62279626
howaka

Return to Camping Tips and Locations