QLD - Peach Trees - Jimna State Forest

QLD - Peach Trees - Jimna State Forest

Postby offroader » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:29 pm

Hi all,

I spent two weeks over xmas camped at Peach Trees, on the banks of Yabba Creek. I intended to go out to Girraween and surrounds but storms put an end to that. Peach Trees is a large camping area, not quite as big as Charlie Mooreland, but large anyway. The only draw back I could see was that there is only one shower facility (it does contain two shower cubicles). There are two toilet blocks. After Boxing Day it became reasonably crowded but I could still get a shower whenever required. The shower is coin operated (20cent coin buys one min of hot water).

Each morning and evening there are plenty of eastern grey kangaroos, there are very few goannas, and some bush turkeys. At night there are always possums ferreting around.

The town of Jimna has one general store (the front room of one of the houses), no fuel and NO PUB !!! :shock: Supplies are available at Kilcoy (90 klm round trip) - do NOT forget anything when shopping ! :oops:

There are plenty of 4x4 tracks available (if you have a permit to traverse) as well as the privately run Landcruiser Mountain Park.

On Christmas Day we received an almighty storm that bought down several trees, branches and my tent :( After that any 4x4 driving involved a lot of tree shifting, occasionally there were trees too big for my winch so I had to turn back and find other trees to shift :roll:

All in all it was a great adventure and I can reccommend Peach Trees to anyone - just don't forget to buy ALL your needs when in Kilcoy :!:

I'm now planning my next trip for the Australia Day long weekend (Thurs - Fri - Sat - Sun)

have a great new year all
Offroader
offroader
Boy Scout

Postby gu4800 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:29 pm

Been to Peach Trees myself a couple of times, but mostly we bypass and go to Landcruiser.

Also enjoyed it very much.

Just wondering, does anybody know if you can swim there now given all the recent rain, etc?

Last time we went (a few years back now), the water was very low and stagnant.
gu4800

Postby offroader » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:29 am

At Christmas time you could swim in Yabba Creek without a problem. The water was flowing and during the time I was there we received plenty of rain to further raise the water level.
offroader
Boy Scout

Postby skip » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:34 pm

justt back from peach trees its a awsom place t camp good wild life and very peaceful. when we were there the creek had enugh water fr a swim and the ranger recns its preety deep after the edges.
skip
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:16 pm

skip wrote:justt back from peach trees its a awsom place t camp good wild life and very peaceful. when we were there the creek had enugh water fr a swim and the ranger recns its preety deep after the edges.

Hi Skip

Pleased you enjoyed it. Was the fire tower open to the public?

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby skip » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:54 pm

hey derek thanks for the advise to vist peach trees, the fire tower was all blocked off so we couldnt get within 20 meters of the tower there guna demolish the tower soon its a massive shame its a stunning icon.
skip
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:56 pm

What a waste. All my kids climbed up there when they were little.

Was the possum still in the roof of the toilet.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby skip » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

we saw some leaves in between the male and female wall but we didnt see the possom but we did see a bilby maybe but ive never see one before it was bigger then a rat smaller then a posum and had a long pointy nose .
skip
Captain Camping

Postby gypsy rainbow » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:27 am

hi all,would anyone please have the website for peach trees camping ground,it sounds like a nice place.thanks.
gypsy rainbow
Camping King

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:23 am

Hi Gypsy

Check the following out and follow the useful links.

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/park ... parkid=120

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Peech Trees

Postby paps » Sun May 13, 2007 11:46 am

Its a great spot. We have taken the kids there at least 5 times and they never get bored of it. They love the wildlife and walk tracks. The park is well maintained with plenty of firewood and its always nice having a hot shower available.

Highly recommened it.

Cheers
Ben
paps
Camping King

Postby Guest » Fri May 18, 2007 9:27 pm

Site Admin

Postby gypsy rainbow » Fri May 18, 2007 10:58 pm

derek wrote:Hi Gypsy

Check the following out and follow the useful links.

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/park ... parkid=120

Derek
Hi derek thanks kindly for your help,i now have the web site ,have to visit this place,allthough the pic of it rings a bell,thanks. :grin:
gypsy rainbow
Camping King

Return to Queensland