Elastic Band theory (and broken mobile phone Q's)

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Elastic Band theory (and broken mobile phone Q's)

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue May 01, 2007 7:02 pm

(skip to the bottom if you don't have time for the full story, this post also carrys a winging warning**)

There's a theory that goes something like this;

Life is like an elastic band, the further it stretches one way, the harder it will snap back. Today, I got snapped :lol:

Was working on a roof, just starting to come down the ladder when it slid out from under me. With my leg stuck between 2 rungs, and me being upside down, I fell, along with the ladder. Luckily the nice soft aluminium ladder broke my fall and I didn't hit the concrete :roll: So now my whole right side feels like I've been hit by a bus, and I have my limp back after only just loosing a month ago with an ankle injury.

Also managed to squash my phone in the process, ruining the screen. Put a big dent in my ladder, so now it doesn't completely un-extend, and modified the customers gutter a bit :shock: (was able to fix it though).

So after a great Monday (which is a rarity) Tuesday decided to boot me up the permanent vertical smile :booty :***

So now the Mobile Question

Has anyone had their screen replaced? Is it expensive?
My guess is yes its expensive and probably not worht it, but I'm holding out some hope, cause the phones only done 6 months of a 24 month contract :$ :evil:

Failing that, whats the strongest phone out there? Doesn't have to be too fancy with big Mega pixel camera etc, Just want MMS, Bluetooth, MP3, and expandable memory (I like to use it as an Mp3 Player). The current one's a Nokia 5500, which I thought was tough, but I guess not tough enough for me :twisted:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Kramer » Tue May 01, 2007 8:10 pm

OOOh your going to be sore for a while yet hope you can get back to work soon, I am not sure about the phone might be an idea to get insurance next time though mine only cost an extra $4 or $5 a month and if anything happened to it they would replace it.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Tue May 01, 2007 9:34 pm

A mate has a balckberry phone ... cost $700 ... he smashed the glass (accidently) and found out it would cost ... $650!!! to replace the screen ... ::()

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo@home » Tue May 01, 2007 9:48 pm

depends on the phone I've had screens replaced for $150 and other screens have been over $400 so i just got a new phone instead.

Fleebay is your freind when buying phones
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby clackerz » Wed May 02, 2007 4:25 pm

Soz to hear bout the accident....hope you mend quickly and painlessly.

From my experience with phone repairs (and I seem to always damage mine) some repairs are wortth it (water damage, and minor drop repairs) but a whole screen replacement? Sounds too expensive for a repair.

Don't forget we live in the 'disposable' era, and most of the time things are made to just be replaced (and the good ol' manufacturers prefer that you go out and buy their latest and greatest gadget instead of repairing)!

But I have seen phones that are designed for outdoor type work, thus have a hard rubber casing etc - maybe just check out some of the more popular manufacturers and see what is on offer.
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby jasonb » Wed May 02, 2007 6:28 pm

sooo what part of you put the dint in the ladder :*** :***
are we there yet ?
jasonb
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu May 03, 2007 11:29 pm

Wound up being $150 for a new screen
Annoying, but not too bad. And, if I had of gotten phone insurance it was $6 a month, which would have been $144 over the life of my contract, so i'm still kinda ahead :lol:

Unless I break it again :***

feeling pretty good today, just feels like a dead leg now, and arms a little weak, but back to work tomorrow.

Stoked I got my phone back, using the old 7250i again really sucked :armsup

And I didn't dent the ladder thankfully :mrgreen: , a big, and sturdy (luckily) sandstone garden chair did.

But in my search I found a 5500 on ebay, 3 months old, emailed the guy and he will take $200 cash if anyone wants it but you gotta be quick. just thought I'd mention it cause it seems like a pretty good buy IMO.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Return to General Chit-Chat